Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed my order for a 2005 medium anno black 575 with RP3 from Bonkey at Desert Cyclery. Don't want to divulge the price but let's just say I got a GREAT deal!
I also ordered:
- Black King headset installed,
- Race Face Evolve DH cranks,
- XT front derailleur,
- Black Thompson post, and
- Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 folding bead.
A few of the items need to be ordered so I will not get the shipment for a bit but at least the wheels are in motion.

I will be transferring from my current bike the following items:
- Vanilla 125 RL
- Black Thompson stem
- Carbon SuperGo bars
- XT shifters
- Hope M4 front (160mm) and Mini rear (140mm)
- Mavic XM 819 Disc/King ISO wheelset
- XT 9 spd. 11-34 cassette
- XT rear derailleur
- old Shimano SPD platform style pedals
- old Bontager saddle
- bolt on skewers
- ODI Ruffian grips

I'm planning to upgrade the Vanilla to a PIKE when I sell my old Enduro frame and some other parts I can't transfer. I'd like to replace a few other things but need to let the finances catch up.

When I was looking around for deals someone said 'you will find the money if you want something bad enough.' Well that's true. I sold a few things, got some money back from the IRA, and used my educational bonus from work. Some big ticket money came in at just the right time and a great deal from bonkey will be allowing be to play in the Yeti forum now!

Thanks for all the help from everyone on the board. Lucky for me, maybe not so lucky for you :), you will be seeing more of mtnfiend in the future.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonkey vs. Go-Ride

I can't wait!

Yeah I'm glad I chose boneky too. Sorry to some of the other people out there who I've heard really good things about, Larry, Esquire, and Red Barn. I got great service from the get go with bonkey, he gave me a great price, and was willing to work with all the little things I wanted to get.

And you are right those who are choosing to got with the group buy "discount" are not getting the best deal. Go-Ride was willing to match other prices but not too willing to help me out with the other items I wanted to get. They were not really willing to cut any deals on the other items I wanted to get, which added up to almost $400 of extras.

Steamthief and I were PMing back and forth about the whole thing for a week or so now. He purchased a 575 Enduro Disc (I think) and got a great price match from Adrenaline in SoCal. He wanted to keep him money close to home and ended up getting great service. What we didn't understand was Go-Rides seemingly unwillingness to work with individual buyers to customize the order. No I understand it's a lot of work to switch out parts and work with customers, but WTF else do you have to do. If you're Go-Ride that group deal just guarantied you at least 5 sales. You've got to figure that's at least 2 sales you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Doesn't it seem like it worth your time to work with the customer?

Either way. Go-Ride people seem like great guys and they do support the boards. For that they get some points in my book. It just so happens that this time around they didn't get my money.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
mtnfiend said:
When I was looking around for deals someone said 'you will find the money if you want something bad enough.' Well that's true. I sold a few things, got some money back from the IRA,

Wow, talk about your "sunday bloody sunday", what did you sell them, granade's or stinger's? :D

Only kidding with ya! Ive hung with the bonkster a year ago at Gooseberry Mesa, cool kat! Enjoy the new ride!

·
Hugged a Yeti Today?
74 Posts
Have to agree with you on the group buy

I just called around to everyone I could to get a good price, usually if a shop had the frame in stock they would do around 20% off. Ended up getting a better price than what was posted for the group buy. Funny how some people arent willing to do the little extra work. But all in all, the group buy was still a pretty good price, and you cant really fault Go-Ride for hooking up a few guys to guarantee at least 5 sales. Just funny how much hype the big "discount" got. Oh well, its nice to see Yeti moving alot of these bikes. Now if school would just end, so I could build up the rig. Although the frame does make a beautiful piece of artwork in the apartment by itself.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
No problem there...

mtnfiend said:
I can't wait!

Yeah I'm glad I chose boneky too. Sorry to some of the other people out there who I've heard really good things about, Larry, Esquire, and Red Barn. I got great service from the get go with bonkey, he gave me a great price, and was willing to work with all the little things I wanted to get.

And you are right those who are choosing to got with the group buy "discount" are not getting the best deal. Go-Ride was willing to match other prices but not too willing to help me out with the other items I wanted to get. They were not really willing to cut any deals on the other items I wanted to get, which added up to almost $400 of extras.

Steamthief and I were PMing back and forth about the whole thing for a week or so now. He purchased a 575 Enduro Disc (I think) and got a great price match from Adrenaline in SoCal. He wanted to keep him money close to home and ended up getting great service. What we didn't understand was Go-Rides seemingly unwillingness to work with individual buyers to customize the order. No I understand it's a lot of work to switch out parts and work with customers, but WTF else do you have to do. If you're Go-Ride that group deal just guarantied you at least 5 sales. You've got to figure that's at least 2 sales you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Doesn't it seem like it worth your time to work with the customer?

Either way. Go-Ride people seem like great guys and they do support the boards. For that they get some points in my book. It just so happens that this time around they didn't get my money.
Bonk will treat you right, and if anything does go wrong, he'll take care of you there too. Yeti's more of a community than anything, and thats what makes it special. No worries here.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ira - Irs

Aie, I sold me wee pot of gold to the IRA so they could buy some guns. No really looks like my fat fingers hit the wrong key. Nice pick up though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
'New to the "Tribe" as I just purchased a 575 from Bonkey. I looked forever for the best deal and his price and service was right on target. In fact, I drove 11 hours to pick up the darn thing! I would highly recommend Desert Cycles. :D

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats!

Looks like bonkeys getting some good play around here. Good for him.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Bonkey has and will help many on the forum with their questions, he is a true fan of Yeti. His eagerness to help here is carried over to his shop. I hope to be able to travel to the St G. area for many years to come and look forward to dealing with Desert Cyclery each time. When I dropped my bike off at his shop to be shipped home last year he even gave me a ride back to my hotel as the bike was my sole transportation.

My shop here at home is 45 minutes away from my house but I would never take any of my bikes to closer shop. My "LBS", Souhegan Cycleworks is the onlyYeti dealer in the state (NH) and I am lucky that they are also the best shop I have ever dealt with.

Sometimes the little guys are the ticket to a good deal. The little guys are always the ticket when you walk in with a bike problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.