Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Help from those with experience on any of following 3 frames would be appreciated.
For various reasons of price/availabilty the short list is:

Marin Wolf R, Yeti 575, Cann. Prophet. Forks will be Maverick DUC32's.

Probably size Medium. My height 5'11" Weight 72kg (158lb)

Riding: Hard trail riding, moderate drops usually 3' very occasional 5' abs max.
Lots of techo stuff, some very steep (down and up). Lots single track, occasional ramps.
Bike must climb, decend and pedal very well, IOW be an excellent all rounder.

Would also like to do some competition (XC). Can't afford 2 bikes.

Target weight will be around 27lb. (XT/XTR/hope/Stans etc)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

TCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
tcd_333 said:
Hi all,

Help from those with experience on any of following 3 frames would be appreciated.
For various reasons of price/availabilty the short list is:

Marin Wolf R, Yeti 575, Cann. Prophet. Forks will be Maverick DUC32's.

Probably size Medium. My height 5'11" Weight 72kg (158lb)

Riding: Hard trail riding, moderate drops usually 3' very occasional 5' abs max.
Lots of techo stuff, some very steep (down and up). Lots single track, occasional ramps.
Bike must climb, decend and pedal very well, IOW be an excellent all rounder.

Would also like to do some competition (XC). Can't afford 2 bikes.

Target weight will be around 27lb. (XT/XTR/hope/Stans etc)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

TCD
I would definitely choose the Yeti over the Marin. I think the single pivot is more robust and it still pedals and climbs very well. Build quality seems better too. Don't know much about the Prophet, apart from reading good reviews, but again the single pivot looks like a lot less hassle than the Marin Quad link.

If you are more serious about having a single bike for racing and aggressive trail riding, something like a Ventana El Saltamontes might be a better compromise. You can vary travel from 3 to 6" and easily interchange air and coil shocks. I think you'd have to ditch the DUC32 idea in this case though, or at least discuss it with Ventana.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Agree, I'm still really high on the 575 after a resent demo. I've also ridden the Wolf Ridge and it is actually superior in suspension design, being more adjustable ( 4 to 6 inches) with even less bob and just as plush with maximum travel, but it is noticably heavier than the 575, with the extra pound mostly in the rear swingarm area.

I haven't ridden the Prophet. Cannondale designs normally ride very well.

- ray
 

·
Two wheels, one love...
Joined
·
30 Posts
Two out of three...

Well I literally just got back from the maiden voyage on my Wolf Ridge, and you couldn't kick the smile off my face right now. That suspension design works very well and seems absolutely bombproof, and feels very efficient to me (mostly in the 4" travel mode, 6" is really not the best on the flats). Downhill in 6" mode eats up everything and is very stiff compared to my first generation Racer-X (before they installed the stiffener link thing). The rear wheel has gobs of clearance, and I believe all the pivots have a lifetime warranty. Very fun ride, and I don't regret a thing.

My friend came over this past week to help me adjust things on it, and he brought his Prophet. I can't say enough nice things about that bike... beautiful to look at too (and I hate Cannondales with a passion!) You would never know it was a single pivot by the way it rides... stiff, smooth, very snappy for a fully. The Lefty was so damn strong too, I was very suprised that it didn't flex any. Got back on mine with the Bomber and it literally felt like a noodle. Kinda depressing :)

THe 575 is getting great reviews, but is also getting up in the boutique category a bit compared to the other two. I've never ridden one but would love to if someone wants to bring one up to NH! That being said, if the price had been negligible between the Wolf Ridge and the Prophet, I'd be on the Dale'. But the Marin frame was dirt cheap and I got a great deal on the wheels and brakes, so I'm not complaining one bit. And with the right fork and a little more weight savings, I'd say it was a wash between them.

Just my $ .02

-Rob
 

Attachments

·
it's....
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Built up my WolfRidge this spring, more heavier duty than previous poster.
I kept it in 6 inch mode the whole time, with Pike in full travel up front.
It is a bit porky, at 32-33 lbs, but it handles technical climbs very well spinning seated.
The frame only cost $599, $800 cheaper than Yeti 575 so choice was obvious for me.
If I had the money for a boutique frame, I would've gone with 5spot with 6" linkage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,771 Posts
What about a

tcd_333 said:
Hi all,

Help from those with experience on any of following 3 frames would be appreciated.
For various reasons of price/availabilty the short list is:

Marin Wolf R, Yeti 575, Cann. Prophet. Forks will be Maverick DUC32's.

Probably size Medium. My height 5'11" Weight 72kg (158lb)

Riding: Hard trail riding, moderate drops usually 3' very occasional 5' abs max.
Lots of techo stuff, some very steep (down and up). Lots single track, occasional ramps.
Bike must climb, decend and pedal very well, IOW be an excellent all rounder.

Would also like to do some competition (XC). Can't afford 2 bikes.

Target weight will be around 27lb. (XT/XTR/hope/Stans etc)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

TCD
a five spot or moto-lite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, some more thoughts

Thanks for the replies all!

OK, let's take this a step further and explain some more of whats going on in my mind.

Marin Wolf R
- Good: Cheap. As derby and others find, excellent rear sus. Very low bob.

Marin Wolf R - Not so good or unknown:
- Weight, heaviest - 7.1lb but not out of the question. How flexy is WR rear end, appears
some torsional flex. Derby confirmed this in 575 review. Geometry - with DUC 32's
BB will be high. Maybe need Alpine Link which will slacken HA and lower BB a bit...
Strafer, how is the WR geometry with 140mm Pike?

Durability, unknown, some say they are very strong others say otherwise.

Yeti 575 Good:
- Very stiff design, especially rear end. I am design engineer and am astounded at the
design. Very very smart. Weight - pretty good, in the middle at 6. something lbs and
it looks like they are holding together pretty well. Haven't heard ANY bad press WRT 575
durability.

Yeti 575 Not so Good or unknown:
- Geometry, DUC32's will slacken HA somewhat. However a few people who have them
on say it still works well.

Prophet - Good:
- Weight - Lightest at sub 6 lb with shock. Geometry - should be the most unchanged
with DUC32; I can use a 1.5" -> 1.25" Cane Creek flush reducer headset (if needed)
and end up just about the same height as the 140mm Lefty Max.

Prophet - Not so good or unknown:
- Shortest chain stays, not convinced it will climb as well as the 575 and certanly not as
well as the WR (educated guess... am I wrong?) Rear end flex, how flexy is the Prophet,
can it be as rigid as the Yeti with such low weight?

Reviews seem to point otherwise and say Prophet is very strong and pedals well.
Lots of very happy Prophet owners out there it seems.

Final thoughts:

I am leaning towards the Prophet. Mainly for weight and geometry. This bike with the
DUC32/Stans/XT/XTR/hope will come in 27lbs or less (depending on tires/wheels).

But I love the Marins suspension design and cost, not so keen on the weight or looks.

The Yeti..... after Derby's review... and he has ridden the WR too, I am definately
giving it a hard thought. It sure is one nice looking rig!

Other suggestions, 5 spot, 5.5 etc.- too costly. Cost is a big issue. Are they better
than all 3 above (with DUC32)? If so give a good reason, otherwise the short list is it :)

Cheers all, thanks again and feel free to add more, I will let you know what transpires,

TCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,119 Posts
tcd_333 said:
Cost is a big issue.
TCD
Nice list. I've been kinda looking at this category of bike as well. If price is a concern you might look at the Jamis Dakar 2.0 and the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MkIII. Both are in the 5 inch category and well under 3k (even under 2.5K spec'ed right)

Of the three, I like the 575.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KRob said:
Nice list. I've been kinda looking at this category of bike as well. If price is a concern you might look at the Jamis Dakar 2.0 and the Iron Horse Hollowpoint MkIII. Both are in the 5 inch category and well under 3k (even under 2.5K spec'ed right)

Of the three, I like the 575.
Just to clarify, I have (almost) new forks (DUC32) and most other parts, so it's frame only
required. Prefer 6" (or close to) travel frame.

Cheers,

TCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mtb-rob said:
Well I literally just got back from the maiden voyage on my Wolf Ridge, and you couldn't kick the smile off my face right now. That suspension design works very well and seems absolutely bombproof, and feels very efficient to me (mostly in the 4" travel mode, 6" is really not the best on the flats). Downhill in 6" mode eats up everything and is very stiff compared to my first generation Racer-X (before they installed the stiffener link thing). The rear wheel has gobs of clearance, and I believe all the pivots have a lifetime warranty. Very fun ride, and I don't regret a thing.

My friend came over this past week to help me adjust things on it, and he brought his Prophet. I can't say enough nice things about that bike... beautiful to look at too (and I hate Cannondales with a passion!) You would never know it was a single pivot by the way it rides... stiff, smooth, very snappy for a fully. The Lefty was so damn strong too, I was very suprised that it didn't flex any. Got back on mine with the Bomber and it literally felt like a noodle. Kinda depressing :)

THe 575 is getting great reviews, but is also getting up in the boutique category a bit compared to the other two. I've never ridden one but would love to if someone wants to bring one up to NH! That being said, if the price had been negligible between the Wolf Ridge and the Prophet, I'd be on the Dale'. But the Marin frame was dirt cheap and I got a great deal on the wheels and brakes, so I'm not complaining one bit. And with the right fork and a little more weight savings, I'd say it was a wash between them.

Just my $ .02

-Rob
Thanks Rob.

WRT Lefty compared to Bombers, exactly, that's why I bought the Maverick DUC32.
I was checking out different forks resistance to torsional flex in a bike shop and
the Lefty (max) felt like it was the stiffest of any (including DH forks). I was quite
surprised.

I got a good deal on a pair of VGC Mavericks so they are it, case closed. Whatever
fram I get will have them on it.

I have been riding 30mm dia, old Z1FR for 2.5 years now and have had enough.

WRT Marin rear end, do you think it is as stiff as your friends Prophet?

Cheers,

TCD
 

·
Two wheels, one love...
Joined
·
30 Posts
tcd_333 said:
WRT Marin rear end, do you think it is as stiff as your friends Prophet?
That I'm not sure of, mostly because the time I had on the Prophet was limited. But Cannondales have never been known to be flexy, and I didn't notice anything moving around back there so it's a safe bet that its pretty stiff. My Wolf Ridge seemed very rigid in the rear too, think that the short swing links have a lot to do with that as well as the welded box frame design.

Good luck...
 

·
Bike Breaker.
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
my 2 cents worth

75% of my friends have Marins, and 50% of those have had major problems. I have tried the prophet after having major isues with a Gemini 2000 and it isnt half as good as the yeti in price comparison. The only bike that comes close to the Yeti is the 5 spot and of those two the yeti felt identicle and even better when you consider the cost dference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 horse race

catnash said:
75% of my friends have Marins, and 50% of those have had major problems. I have tried the prophet after having major isues with a Gemini 2000 and it isnt half as good as the yeti in price comparison. The only bike that comes close to the Yeti is the 5 spot and of those two the yeti felt identicle and even better when you consider the cost dference.
Hmmm... there's that Marin reliability thing again. What problems did they have?

Remeber this is frame only and with DUC32s on front (no lefty). So Prophet Vs Yeti is
pretty similar price wise.

Looks like it's getting down to a 2 horse race. 575 vs Prophet.

Cheers,

TCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Yeti or Bust

If you can afford the Yeti, it is by far the superior rig. It's designed in my home state of Colorado. I've never heard of a problem with a 575 or any Yeti for that matter. The ASR is legendary in XC racing, and the 575 is basically a beefed-up brother to the ASR. Yeti is a company renowned for amazing welds and excellent customer service. You should read the reviews in Mountain Bike Action and Mountain Biking if you have any doubts. These are provided on Yeti's website. No, I don't work for Yeti, although I wish I did if anyone from Yeti is listening...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,119 Posts
tcd_333 said:
Just to clarify, I have (almost) new forks (DUC32) and most other parts, so it's frame only
required. Prefer 6" (or close to) travel frame.

Cheers,

TCD
Gotcha. I'm kinda shopping this category as well. Let us know what you decide. I've seen some posts over on the Yeti board about 6 inch forks on the 575. Sounds like a good match to me...... especially the DUC32. Sweet fork.

I also like the Quad link suspension on the Marin and the monocoque frames look cool and stiff.

The Prophet seems to be getting good reviews..... I just can't seem to get around the Lefty (looks weird... but the DUC will take care of that) and the Canondale stigma.....

The Giant Reign is in this category as well, no? And the new Specialized Enduro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Which Bike?

:confused: Hello, I did hours of internet research, called numerous bike shops around the country and locally, Aftewards I visited numerous bike shops locally. I almost bought an Intense 5.5 EVP online. Not that it would have been a bad choice. But I found a local shop that had a Yeti 575, and I worked out a tentative price with them. Then did some additional research, prior to buying it from a great local bike shop. All the owners are avid Cyclists. I have no regrets, it is an awesome bike, not to mention, beautiful to look at. And very different looking than many of the other bikes out there. I would not hesitate to recommend this bike for what you are looking to accomplish. If you wanted to do Evel Kneivel type stuff and jump off the side of a mountain with 20 ft. drops, like some of these young guys do!! Then you would need a totally different DH or free ride bike. I hope this helps!!
:D

Kindest Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
mtb-rob said:
...Got back on mine with the Bomber and it literally felt like a noodle. Kinda depressing :)
Oh you couldn't just live in your ignorant bliss and had to go ride that forbidden fruit known as the Prophet.

It's a nice bike, one of the nices single pivots I've tried out.

Don't fret, your Marin is pretty sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
prophet flex

mtb-rob said:
That I'm not sure of, mostly because the time I had on the Prophet was limited. But Cannondales have never been known to be flexy, and I didn't notice anything moving around back there so it's a safe bet that its pretty stiff. My Wolf Ridge seemed very rigid in the rear too, think that the short swing links have a lot to do with that as well as the welded box frame design.

Good luck...
I checked out a few Prophets down at local BS. Had a very good look at the way the
rear swingarm pivot is done. Hollow large dia shaft. VERY rigid. I gave the rear wheel
a really good lateral flex and the only flex apparent was the wheel itself. I have done
this to a Heckler and it was definately less rigid laterally.

It appears Cannondale have done a very good job on the beast. I am pretty impressed
with the Prophet and think the DUC32's will fit perfect having almost identical height
as the Lefty max.

Next question... looking at sizes I come smack between M & L being 5'11".
Prophet M has WB of 44" and fairly decent TTH of 23.6" so it looks pretty good.
Got a feeling a L with its 45"+ WB may be a bit slow for fast manouverability.

Now where to find a frame that doesn't break the bank?

Cheers,

TCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bike Addict said:
If you can afford the Yeti, it is by far the superior rig. It's designed in my home state of Colorado. I've never heard of a problem with a 575 or any Yeti for that matter. The ASR is legendary in XC racing, and the 575 is basically a beefed-up brother to the ASR. Yeti is a company renowned for amazing welds and excellent customer service. You should read the reviews in Mountain Bike Action and Mountain Biking if you have any doubts. These are provided on Yeti's website. No, I don't work for Yeti, although I wish I did if anyone from Yeti is listening...
Yes the 575 looks very nice. After having a real good look at the Prophet I think they
are BOTH very good. I was really impressed with the Prophets quality and frame rigidity.
Could the Yeti be even stiffer than that??
The 575 appears a bit smaller with medium WB = 42.8 so I would probably need Large
for my 5'11" although some say M is fine for this height.

Currently I'm leaning toward Prophet, but it will probably be a case of which turns up
first. Will probably buy VGC 2nd hand due to finances.

Cheers,

TCD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
tcd_333 said:
Yes the 575 looks very nice. After having a real good look at the Prophet I think they
are BOTH very good. I was really impressed with the Prophets quality and frame rigidity.
Could the Yeti be even stiffer than that??
The 575 appears a bit smaller with medium WB = 42.8 so I would probably need Large
for my 5'11" although some say M is fine for this height.

Currently I'm leaning toward Prophet, but it will probably be a case of which turns up
first. Will probably buy VGC 2nd hand due to finances.

Cheers,

TCD
I'm 6'1" and tested a medium 575 for a weekend. It was only slightly too small for me, so I reckon at 5'11" you are right on the cusp and should definitely test both medium and large. Remember that the 575 is not designed to be ridden too stretched out.

I've never ridden a Prophet, but I read a good review recently - mostly very positive, but it was mentioned that the rear swingarm suffered from a little flex. However, I did also notice a little rear flex in the 575 I tested, particularly compared to the Ventana X5 I eventually chose, but it wasn't anything to worry about. At this relatively low weight, there has to be a little compromise somewhere.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top