Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tribe members...here's the initial ride report on the Lyrik. First and foremost. This bad boy along with the Mavic 823/Zocchi 20mm wheel is STIFF!!! I cleaned the National tri-fecta "no problemo" all on the first attempt. The seals are reallllly tight just like the Marzocchi forks as I had everything turned to max off (compression, rebound and it still wasn't very compliant). So, over to Mormon I go for the descent. Opened her up to 160mm just for kicks. Wow! Was the descent a blast. Talk about point and shoot!! Decided to drop Javelina . So, up and over to the pass I go. More permagrin awaited at the bottom of the hill. By this time, things are loosening up a bit and is feeling a whole lot better. Here's the BIG KICK. Down at the bottom of Javelina, there's a bunch of guys and gear and bikes so I stopped by to chat. Noticed ALL of the bikes had Lyriks on them.. So I made note of that and spoke out that this was my first ride on mine. One guy walks up to me and we start chatting. Low and behold.... He's the program manager at Rock Shox for the Lyrik fork!!!! He goes over every feature on the fork. The best settings and how it all works. WHAT a coincidence!!!!!! He was with a bunch of guys from Trek and there was all kinds of different bikes, Nomads, Giants, Treks, and a few more that I couldn't make out. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p> Needless to say.... it was one of my better rides when it was all put together. The fork is a keeper and after I lubed up the Stanctions, it's runnin' pretty freely now. The "Tangerine Dream" will be joining the crew on Sunday's ride for another tech run down Holbert trail.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
Tribe members...here's the initial ride report on the Lyrik. First and foremost. This bad boy along with the Mavic 823/Zocchi 20mm wheel is STIFF!!! I cleaned the National tri-fecta "no problemo" all on the first attempt. The seals are reallllly tight just like the Marzocchi forks as I had everything turned to max off (compression, rebound and it still wasn't very compliant). So, over to Mormon I go for the descent. Opened her up to 160mm just for kicks. Wow! Was the descent a blast. Talk about point and shoot!! Decided to drop Javelina . So, up and over to the pass I go. More permagrin awaited at the bottom of the hill. By this time, things are loosening up a bit and is feeling a whole lot better. Here's the BIG KICK. Down at the bottom of Javelina, there's a bunch of guys and gear and bikes so I stopped by to chat. Noticed ALL of the bikes had Lyriks on them.. So I made note of that and spoke out that this was my first ride on mine. One guy walks up to me and we start chatting. Low and behold.... He's the program manager at Rock Shox for the Lyrik fork!!!! He goes over every feature on the fork. The best settings and how it all works. WHAT a coincidence!!!!!! He was with a bunch of guys from Trek and there was all kinds of different bikes, Nomads, Giants, Treks, and a few more that I couldn't make out. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p> Needless to say.... it was one of my better rides when it was all put together. The fork is a keeper and after I lubed up the Stanctions, it's runnin' pretty freely now. The "Tangerine Dream" will be joining the crew on Sunday's ride for another tech run down Holbert trail.
Great report! Congrats!

and.. talk about meeting the "big Lyric dogs" on the trail... pretty cool too!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
sorry to revive an old thread but i was wondering how you're digging the lyrik now after a few months of riding it. i'm thinking about a 160mm fork to use for "bigger trips" to Moab/Fruita/Gooseberry...
Thanks!
G

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
made it better by.....

flipnidaho said:
sorry to revive an old thread but i was wondering how you're digging the lyrik now after a few months of riding it. i'm thinking about a 160mm fork to use for "bigger trips" to Moab/Fruita/Gooseberry...
Thanks!
G
I installed a soft spring in it and that made a huge difference. I'm not a big hucker but ride very technical terrain (all rocks) and once the lighter spring went in, the speeds really went up and I am no able to use some of the compression settings where as before, I had them all turned off just to get 3/4 of its travel. I was so happy with it that I immediately went out and purchased a second spring for my Lyrik which is on my Ellsworth Moment. If you weigh between 160-170 I think the softer spring really wakes this fork up. The adjustability is so sweet. Climb at 130mm and then open it up for the descents although I don't like it so much at the full 160 setting. I don't go beyond the 150mm as the bikes just feel different when it's set at 160mm. I used to be just a Marzocchi guy but this fork has changed my perception of RS. Thank you SRAM for getting them back on track.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.