Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, been lurking for a while, can't remember my old log on stuff, so re registered, but a lot of good info here!
My questions are about a 575 I am ordering shortly. I am getting the 575 in the Enduro model. I am perttty happy with the build kit, but any thoughts about what to upgrade at the LBS? I have a 11-34 cassette on my current bike - a Canondale sv1000 with a Man. Black 130 mm fork and Dave's speeddream wheels, and really like it. Any body use the 11-34? how bout X0 rear derailler ?..is it too fragile?
Is the DRX shock worth upgrading to, or necessary? I am 6'1'', 250 with Trans-Alp/gear etc, and ride single track, and ski resorts (live in Denver) in summer.....green/blue trails, nothing hairy - I am 59 - yeah you read it right, and been riding since 1999.
Also pedals: Have used Shimano 545s always, love em, never problems, probably saved my ass a bunch of times, but are the 647s any better with the 959 guts?
Any advice from you Yeti guys would be appreciated - glad to join the tribe!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would recommend the dhx air since you will be going down ski resorts, except you would be pushing the weight limit on it since you add more pressure than your weight. I would contact yeti for more information on that. But if you will be doing smoother trails you might go with the rp3 anyway.

I can't comment on the pedals, I prefer candy's over spd.

the X0 derailleur is more expensive, but it does have its advantages beyond weight savings. I believe individual parts on it are replaceable. In my mind it isn't worth the extra money over the x9.

I really liked the vanilla fork, but the 575 can handle a longer fork, so why not? you might look at the pike or the marzocchi am1(the fork I have and like).

btw, where are you buying it from?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
george4 said:
Have used Shimano 545s always, love em, never problems, probably saved my ass a bunch of times, but are the 647s any better with the 959 guts?
I think the 647s have resin or polymer frames which means they may blow up if you impact them on rocks. The 545s are aluminum and don't do that.

I'm pretty sure the 06 models are shipping with 11-34 cassettes.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Man, I hope I'm still riding at 59. That's outstanding. I run 545s and like you it has saved my butt a few times. I think if you plan on clipping out for safety then yeah 647's might be a good idea. However, if you plan to stay clipped in no matter what, then you might not want more pedal(platform) than the 545s. IMO Welcome!!!!!!!! Send pics when you get it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
george4 said:
Hi Guys, been lurking for a while, can't remember my old log on stuff, so re registered, but a lot of good info here!
My questions are about a 575 I am ordering shortly. I am getting the 575 in the Enduro model. I am perttty happy with the build kit, but any thoughts about what to upgrade at the LBS? I have a 11-34 cassette on my current bike - a Canondale sv1000 with a Man. Black 130 mm fork and Dave's speeddream wheels, and really like it. Any body use the 11-34? how bout X0 rear derailler ?..is it too fragile?
Is the DRX shock worth upgrading to, or necessary? I am 6'1'', 250 with Trans-Alp/gear etc, and ride single track, and ski resorts (live in Denver) in summer.....green/blue trails, nothing hairy - I am 59 - yeah you read it right, and been riding since 1999.
Also pedals: Have used Shimano 545s always, love em, never problems, probably saved my ass a bunch of times, but are the 647s any better with the 959 guts?
Any advice from you Yeti guys would be appreciated - glad to join the tribe!
Heya,

I have had two 575s, one with an RP3 and the current one with a DH-X air. The RP3 was definitely more efficient for the climbs (Apex...Chimney Gulch...White Ranch.. You know...) But the DHX is much better on the descents and at soaking up square edged bumps. Essentailly the DHX has a compression range that allows the shock to move through more of its travel, more of the time.

I run an 11-34 and recommend it. It allows me to stay in middle ring more, which helps with keeping momentum on technical climbs.

The xo rear deraileur is robust enough, that mated to x9 shifters is the drivetrain I have on my bike.

I run the 647s on my AS-X and quite like them, and I think goiing to the latest generation pedal body (540 vs 515) helps that pedal work a bit better.

I don't know if you've decided on where to buy, if it's still up in the air, I'm the sales manager at Wheat Ridge Cyclery, we'd love to have the opportunity to get you set up.

·
EDR
10,272 Posts
-Maybe a wheel build upgrade.
-Maybe a longer travel fork to balance out the bike more (you mentioned ski lift riding). AM1 and the Pike are popular on this bike.

I have X9 on mine and have zero complaints. The rear took a good hit on a rock the other day and I was afraid to look down, but nothing broke so I was impressed (knock on wood).
I can't justify the price of XTR or X0 stuff myself, but thats a personal choice so get what makes happy.

I would take the advice of another poster and call Yeti about what shock will work out best for you. Don't rely only on the lbs advice on this one.

Glad to hear the riding continues at 59. You have given me a new perspective (at age 36). I can't wait to go ride tomorrow!!! Thanks.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Wheatridge has become my LBS of choice but I did get my 575 and ASR-SL online. No LBS touched the prices when I asked and I was not playing one against the other so I bought both online. I try to buy a lot of stuff from the LBS but when the difference is $300 plus on a frame plus no tax, it's the E-LBS for me every time :D I know the cost on these frames so it isn't like anyone loses money- I just can't pay retail since it is a "suggested" pricepoint- just not what I suggest.

The ASR-SL is one amazingly fast bike and sprints significantly faster but the 575 is definitely a full-day ride and is more comfortable and decends much better. I am lucky (and probably a bit silly) to have bought both.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for so much reponse! I am buying the bike at Road 34 in Ft Collins. My son has been a roomie with that crowd for 4 yrs and I ride with them on occaision.They crash at my house when they use to run dual slalom on the hogback, and are here ridin at the Vee in Aurora. My wife took Will (one of Road 34 owners, the other is Willy) to the emergency room when he broke his collar bone at the vee. They invite us to the big keg parties in Ft Collins....sorta like sons to us. The whole bunch are crazy and do anything on skateboards, BMX, or mtn bikes. They got the Kona and Yeti franchise last year and have built a nice biz. Wheatridge has one of the best reputations in Denver, and would probably buy there if not for the stuff about Road 34.
I emailed FOX and Yeti, about shock and carbon chainstay, and they saw no issue with weight on either shock and Yeti has wt limit of 235 # of the chainstay (pretty nervous about a carbon chainstay anyway!). Pressure limit on all Fox shocks is 300 psi. I have run 260 psi for 6 years on my Fox float R shock and never a problem - although I am amazed it hasn't blown up! I will call or email Yeti again for their advice on the shock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in the same boat as you as far as the rear shock. I called Fox and gave them my measurements and they suggested that I also go with the DHX Air rear. I am about 6' 3" and around 275-280. They suggested running it at 290lbs and seeing how that works. Don't take this as the gospel, but I think I remember them saying that I could actually go up to 310 in it without any problems. Not that I want to run out and do that... I am going to be working on shedding a lot of that weight this spring, so the DHX Air will help too when i get lighter, (and hopefully faster) because I can just change the pressure in it.

Call Fox and give them your info and they can give you a precise set up for the 575. I may do that again now that I have the bike here and can understand the set up better in context with the bike.

I haven't ridden mine at all yet (sick and leaving for the east coast) but I will keep you guys informed with how it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Craig at Yeti just gave me the same info almost. He thought that the DRX would handle the wt better (more capacity) and be more tunable for either singletrack or downhill. He suggested an Enduro_20, but is slightly rich for me. Craig thought another weak point was the wheels, and I do tear them up, but I will have Dave Thomas build a set of speeddream wheels mid year(current set 3300 miles, dinged for sure, straight and true as day they were made - never adjusted).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.