Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyall, I just recently picked up a 575, it'd built up with a 150mm fork, and I love the bike, but have noticed that climbing, the front end does tend to get light, and want to wander making it a bit tricky on a few climbs. I did add a little more air to the rear, which I felt helped keep the front end down, but I was barely at the low end of the recommended sag.

I am coming off a 4" CC bike, so clearly I know it will not be quite as easy to climb. Just wondering what others' thoughts are on this, and if it happened. I love the bike most of the time, but I do sometimes get a little down when the bars are moving back and forth, and I'm hunched down like a madman trying to keep it down.

Also, I assume I could run a longer stem, but I like my current geometry with a 90mm stem. Would love to go to 70mm, but I am afraid that might make it worse.

Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Mr. Knowitall
869 Posts
How about lowering your stem?! I went from 90 to 60mm, and lowered it a bit. Still confident on the descents, more traction on the climbs.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
buy a Lyrk U-turn....

Turn 'er down for the ups and open 'er up to 160mm for the descents. Best fork IMHO for the '08-current 575:thumbsup: Other than that, put that tip of the saddle where the sun doesn't shine, as that's the only way to keep that front end down on super steep climbs.:eekster:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
In my experience I think its the rear suspension that contributes to this on the 575. Lots of time it will go to deep in its travel and the front end will get light.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tinshield what do you mean it will go too deep in it's travel. And yeah, I've thought about getting a Talas for it, but then again, I just bought a new bike, hard to justify spending more money on the thing. I think that's what gets me down a little, I just want to like it the way it is, makes you wonder maybe there was another one out there. I didn't demo it, just bought it based on stellar reviews, and have ridden and loved the Blur which often times people say is equally as good. I do notice if I keep the rear end a little stiff, it does tend to climb like a beast, and it also looks like I am getting the full travel...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
When the rear suspension compresses the front end will become lighter as weight is transferred rearward. The bike has a lot of travel so there's a lot of variations as it compresses. Have you tried running more propedal?

·
Total Goober
1,041 Posts
I have the same issue. I've heard 2 suggestions for fixes:

1. longer stem puts more body weight over the front
2. shorter stem produces less leverage when pulling on the bars

I'm going to bum a couple loner stems from the LBS, and try them out on a trail that my front end always wanders on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Currently I am running the propedal most of the time on 3, I have a straight stem, with 27" bars.

Keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My 575 seems to climb the best when I stay
seated and sit on the nose of the saddle. Then
if I need to I will lean over the bars. As for air in
the rear shock I run my weight with my gear on.

Best, John

·
Registered
415 Posts
My wandering problem was from the stem. When I built my 575 I had no idea what to put on for a stem, most bikes I looked at with the similar geometry/travel showed 90mm stems. I had 90mm for a couple months and felt like I was all over the place, there was no such thing as a slight jerk to get you back on track. I tried a friend’s 105mm and instantly felt better, more controlled, yet rediscovered a feeling I never felt so far with the 575…OTB, 2x within a week (very impressed with Yeti paint). I guess the 90mm made me lazy as far as getting my weight back when needed. I settled on a 100mm, but before I try it I tried the 90mm again last night, I had lots of wandering and over exaggerated turns. I’ll be trying the 100mm tonight.

I couldn't imagine a 70 or 60.

·
Mr. Knowitall
869 Posts
Throw away that Long Stem. It is dead. If you need longer stem to get more weight up front on a 575, you either have a too small frame or you need to work on your technique... Never been happier than when I went for a 60mm stem a bit lower than the 90mm (which is as long as a stem can get before it turns into a Long Stem (R.I.P.)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Traditionally the 575 came with a 10 degree rise stem and a 2" rise bar. I prefer a 0 degree rise stem and something near a 1" rise bar. It makes a big difference in climbing. First I'd move to a 1" rise bar. Then desided what length stem would work with a 0 rise.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still appreciating the feedback;

I hear you guys about adjusting stem and bar combinations, but all in all, it seems like with those options, you are really only adjusting hand position. Understandably it does make a bit of a difference, I guess I'm just not sure how much of a difference. I'll try some of those suggestions and go from there. Hell, if worse comes to worse, I'll go the Talas direction next year, I am sure dropping the front end to 130mm on climbs will definitely keep the nose down.

·
Registered
415 Posts
hssp said:
Throw away that Long Stem. It is dead. If you need longer stem to get more weight up front on a 575, you either have a too small frame or you need to work on your technique... Never been happier than when I went for a 60mm stem a bit lower than the 90mm (which is as long as a stem can get before it turns into a Long Stem (R.I.P.)
not sure if you're talking to me, but i'm 5'-9 on a medium, if i got a large i wouldn't reach the pedals :D. i am on a 140mm fork if that makes a difference. i'll stay in the 90-100 stem range, thanks for the advice (if it was for me).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I came upon this thread after taking out my new ride with non-adjustable forks (2008/9? 26" rebas @ 100mm) I was wandering all over the place. One thing that helped me out quite a bit was moving my saddle rails as far forward as I could. This bike (RM Blizzard) has similar angles to my ETS-x, which has the talas, and man, as mentioned, what a difference lowering the front end makes! I'm going to try a slightly higher rise bar. Like you I ran through the same list of things to change, stem, bars, etc. I even tried playing with tire pressures.
It's like riding in the 90's again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts