Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - need a bit of advice

Just spotted this on my 2006 575 frame. There seems to be some sort of corrosion under the paint around the underside bottle bosses.

I've not noticed it before but tbh I'm not sure how often I look at this part of the bike closely.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

If it's purely cosmetic I don't mind too much really, just want to know if it's likely to get worse and weaken the frame.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glossy black.

Not sure what Yeti cs is like in the UK though, as I'll have to go via Evolution who are the importers.

You reckon it's a warranty job then?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
RicB said:
Glossy black.

Not sure what Yeti cs is like in the UK though, as I'll have to go via Evolution who are the importers.

You reckon it's a warranty job then?
Contact both Yeti and Evolution..... they will sort it out together :thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like solvent damage to the paintwork. Where the bolts enter the frame the may be a break in the paint and cleaning products are getting between the paint and the metal.

Al doesn't rust it forms a protective oxide layer and it very resistant including most acids (except Nitric/Hydrochloric mixtures) but caustic attacks it which is incidentally is what most household cleaners are. So i'd make sure im using a proper bike cleaning solution and rinse it down well at the end.

I'd assume it's just paint damage from cleaning solutions or possibly some solvent (Alcohols such as IPA or water repellant solutions). I'd be suprised if the Al had actually corroded as it's so resistant to it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Probably from sweat. My '05 575 had the same thing---I sweat a lot. Just make sure you wipe it down good after riding. Btw Yeti did not offer me anything since the finish is only under a 1 or 2 year warranty (can't remember which)

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
I have seen this happening to a few frames already ... so far all 575 frames ... is it the material that Yeti uses of the prep process? I have the ARC and so far ... good thing ... I have not seen this corrosion anywhere on my frame ... stay away!!! stay away!!! There has been too many riders who I know who have now given up this excellant frame and no doubt this will be one of the reasons that I will give up on a frame if I find corrosion anywhere ... it is just very very disappointing ...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is disappointing. I contacted the UK importer (Evolution); Yeti only offer a 1 year paint warranty on the 575, so no joy there. I sent a photo of the corrosion to Evolution who said it's only cosmetic so no need to warranty the frame.

In some ways I'm glad because I don't want the 08 frame (poor mud clearance), which is what they would have replaced it with. Still, it is a £1200 (~$2500) frame so I expect better after only 18 months. My 3yr old GT avalanche frame is still flawless!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
RicB said:
In some ways I'm glad because I don't want the 08 frame (poor mud clearance), which is what they would have replaced it with. Still, it is a £1200 (~$2500) frame so I expect better after only 18 months. My 3yr old GT avalanche frame is still flawless!

the would probably just give you the 08 front triangle and the "conversion kit" (a modified dogbone to use the old rear tri on the new front)

more info: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=431054

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.