Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is only 5' tall and I want to get her a full suspension Yeti. When you look at Yeti's website and look at the recommended sizing and geometry of the asr and the 575, the frames geometrys are not that different but the sizings that they state sure are!!! anyone with experience with this size?? I sure would like a little input on what would work for her!!
I have an arc, a kokopelli and an asr carbon coming (sometime???) and I havent had any problem until now.
Thanks.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
email IB

moodster said:
My wife is only 5' tall and I want to get her a full suspension Yeti. When you look at Yeti's website and look at the recommended sizing and geometry of the asr and the 575, the frames geometrys are not that different but the sizings that they state sure are!!! anyone with experience with this size?? I sure would like a little input on what would work for her!!
I have an arc, a kokopelli and an asr carbon coming (sometime???) and I havent had any problem until now.
Thanks.....
My wife rides a 575, but she's 5'5". Innocent Bystander's wife had one last year too. I'll get a hold of him and have him chime in.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have a feeling that the small will just be to big for her, never the less I will try to get my wife on my small 575 and see how it fits. Shes just about 5'1", the only bikes that are made for women that small are the Santa Cruz Julliana. Thats what Im building for her now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drumstix said:
I have a feeling that the small will just be to big for her, never the less I will try to get my wife on my small 575 and see how it fits. Shes just about 5'1", the only bikes that are made for women that small are the Santa Cruz Julliana. Thats what Im building for her now.[/QUOT
I felt that the Yeti website was off a little by saying 5' but let me know if your wife does fit or not! Thanks

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
575 or Titus Racer-X

UpgradeItis said:
My wife rides a 575, but she's 5'5". Innocent Bystander's wife had one last year too. I'll get a hold of him and have him chime in.
I'm thinking of either the 575 or a Titus Racer-X. I'm 5'5",135 lbs, need a low stand-over and a longer TT, ride trails and want to do more single-track. Is the 575 too heavy? I read some reviews off the Yeti site that the 2004 bike is 27 lbs. I wanted a bike that is light, an efficient climber, perhaps under 25 lbs, and to have fun riding on the mt.

But, I love the ride on the 2004's 575. The stand-over on the 2005 575 is higher, since they added 5mm more to the fork. The handle bars are bigger. The bike just feels too big. The ASR-SL cost $3500 or $3900, depending on the aluminum or carbon fiber piece on the frame. I'm trying to keep the price to 3K and under. Does your wife like the 575? The 575 has a bigger travel than I have been advised to get. My friend says to get a 4" travel bike.

The Titus rep recommended a 80mm Does your wife like the bfork vs the 100mm fork due to the stand-over on that frame. ike? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
bruising-on-the-mt said:
I'm thinking of either the 575 or a Titus Racer-X. I'm 5'5",135 lbs, need a low stand-over and a longer TT, ride trails and want to do more single-track. Is the 575 too heavy? I read some reviews off the Yeti site that the 2004 bike is 27 lbs. I wanted a bike that is light, an efficient climber, perhaps under 25 lbs, and to have fun riding on the mt.

But, I love the ride on the 2004's 575. The stand-over on the 2005 575 is higher, since they added 5mm more to the fork. The handle bars are bigger. The bike just feels too big. The ASR-SL cost $3500 or $3900, depending on the aluminum or carbon fiber piece on the frame. I'm trying to keep the price to 3K and under. Does your wife like the 575? The 575 has a bigger travel than I have been advised to get. My friend says to get a 4" travel bike.

The Titus rep recommended a 80mm Does your wife like the bfork vs the 100mm fork due to the stand-over on that frame. ike? Thanks for your advice.
There is only 5mm difference on the fork between the 04 and the 05. That 5mm will hardly make a difference as far as standover goes. 27 pounds for a "trailbike" is very reasonable. You will be hard pressed to get lighter than that without compromising something on any trailbike you look at. As far as the handlebars go, they are bigger, but only where the stem connects. The part of the bar where your hands will be is the same as any other bar. Plus it is a carbon bar so weight really isn't an issue.

To be honest with you, she hasn't even ridden the one she has this year yet. We're still looking at a few snowbanks here. She did have an 04 last year and loved it, but keep in mind...she doesn't do any technical riding. Just easy singletrack. If this helps you out, standover clearance is not an issue for her. As far as if it's too heavy or if it's too much travel and those types of questions, those are preference things and you will have to figure that out on your own. Hope this helps.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
bruising-on-the-mt said:

i met a guy this weekend who claimed his 575 was just under 25 lbs, but it looked like he had quite a bit of money into it...for the record i felt the weight and would not doubt it, next to my 575 it was extremely light, i think mine goes around 30 lbs with a marz am-1 and i definately have beefier tires...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drumstix said:
I have a feeling that the small will just be to big for her, never the less I will try to get my wife on my small 575 and see how it fits. Shes just about 5'1", the only bikes that are made for women that small are the Santa Cruz Julliana. Thats what Im building for her now.
Hey I was wondering if you got your wife to try your 575? I looked at the Juliana and it doesnt look bad and also the price isnt bad!!
Let me know and thanks.
Mike........

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
moodster said:
Hey I was wondering if you got your wife to try your 575? I looked at the Juliana and it doesnt look bad and also the price isnt bad!!
Let me know and thanks.
Mike........
Yeah, its to big, mainly in the top tube length. The Yeti is about 22.2-4" long, and that is about perfect for a guy like me, Im about 5' 6-7" tall, plus most guy's have a longer torso than women. I got her a XS small Juliana, the top tube is like 20.5" or so, and I will use a 70mm stem. I took a few measurments off her old bike which is a XS Stumpjumper FSR bike that is about 6 years old. The standover is great, like 26" tall. If you need measurements to help you get started let me know and I will post what Im using and how it measures out.

Best regards, Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve71 said:
FWIW I was told by a Yeti dealer that they are making an XS 575 this year. Nothing on their website though.

My wife (5'1) just went from a medium Juliana to a XS Titus Moto-lite. She's loving the new Titus.

Pics here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=94745
Hey thanks, her bike looks really good I will look into one a little more! I also was wondering how the MEDIUM Juliana worked for your wife as compared to the small that they offer?? And having seen both frames how would you compare the Titus and the Santa Cruz?
Thanks..

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
moodster said:
Hey thanks, her bike looks really good I will look into one a little more! I also was wondering how the MEDIUM Juliana worked for your wife as compared to the small that they offer?? And having seen both frames how would you compare the Titus and the Santa Cruz?
Thanks..
The Medium SC is very close size wise to the XS moto lite but the ML has 1" more wheel base and a higher BB.

The wife and I enjoy technical trails and flowy swoopy single track here in Colorado. The Juliana does well for a 4" travel bike but isn't really designed for the more technical trails. It's a little flexy, but the price is very reasonable and it's very light (5lb or less). If you want a better/stiffer 4" travel bike I'd check out the Turner Flux (avaible in XS) and the Racer X. Don't get me wrong the wife loved her Juliana, she's just progressed to the point that she needs a stiffer longer travel bike. If you'd prefer more travel then the Motolite is the only way to go at the moment. It's about (guessing) 5.75 lb in the XS. The Flux and Racer X would be (guessing) about 1/2 a pound lighter and still plenty stiff.

Attachments

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Steve71 said:
FWIW I was told by a Yeti dealer that they are making an XS 575 this year. Nothing on their website though.
I spoke to Yeti the other day at a bike Demo. They said they have no plans to make the 575 in an XS!! :( If there is enough demand they might consider it - so if your interested give em a call.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Steve71 said:
I spoke to Yeti the other day at a bike Demo. They said they have no plans to make the 575 in an XS!! :( If there is enough demand they might consider it - so if your interested give em a call.
Thats really to bad, right after I read that post about the XS frame I about did a back flip, the 575 is such a good frame and can handle any tough trail out there. It will be hard to find a frame that will fit very small woman, (other than the Juliana) I looked at the sizing of the new Titus and the top tube is still abit long for the wifey.

come-on Yeti, help us guy's out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.