Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(yes, sorry, another one of these aluminium versus carbon threads)
i'm going to buy a 575 but should i go with the aluminium or carbon version?
the only critisism that i've ever heard of the aluminium 575 is an ocasional lack of rear-end lateral stifness. is this made better or worse by moving to the carbon chain-stay version?
i'll be building an "all-mountain" bike with 6" up front. i really enjoy hitting stuff fast and hard but i'm not one for doing major drops/jumps and i weigh about 160 lbs. the price increase to move up to the carbon 575 is practically nothing (£40, i live in ireland but buying from the UK) but the weight saving is excellent so if the carbon and aluminium 575 are up for the same amount of abuse then i see no reason to not go with the carbon 575.
i've had a look through previous posts but can't find a satisfactory answer. also i don't plan on ever running anything bigger than a 2.3" trye

thanks
eamonn

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm a little curious about this also.

Not that it would make any difference, since my new M 575 carbon is being built up right now by my bike shop, but I'm just curious :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to see another Irish person on the Yeti forums :) Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.

I am considering getting a 575 also, out of curiosity who are you planning on buying from in the UK? Have you had a chance to test ride them, as of yet I havn't and am half thinking of buying blind, but being 6 foot I sort of fall into the category of medium and large frame so a bit unsure there. I think I'll probably just get the frame and build it my self, looking at prices for completes I reckon I should be able to get it a bit cheaper.

Have you looked at buying from the US at all?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I have heard from one poster here that the carbon is less stiff but I have also talked to some experienced riders who have ridden both. Each one of them said they cannot tell if one is stiffer than the other. However, when bunny-hopping, I think it would be easy to feel the lighter weight of the carbon.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
dubie said:
Good to see another Irish person on the Yeti forums :) Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.

I am considering getting a 575 also, out of curiosity who are you planning on buying from in the UK? Have you had a chance to test ride them, as of yet I havn't and am half thinking of buying blind, but being 6 foot I sort of fall into the category of medium and large frame so a bit unsure there. I think I'll probably just get the frame and build it my self, looking at prices for completes I reckon I should be able to get it a bit cheaper.

Have you looked at buying from the US at all?
I am in Germany, and bought mine from full cycles through a friend that lives in the US, because of dealer complaints Yeti has prohibited US dealers to ship abroad.... eventhough it is more work to have somebody reship the frame and everything... I got a great deal..

·
Registered
319 Posts
I got mine from the US before I moved to the UK from New Zealand. The UK prices for Yeti's (and pretty much any other high end brand) is obscene. I would definitely go for importing one straight from the US. Even with shipping and VAT (if you get done for it) you'll be quids in.

I can't answer the carbon rigidity question, but £40 for a 200g saving (or whatever it is) is a pretty good ratio in the grand scheme of things. I'd jump at it if I were you. Unless of course you're going to build it up into a 30lb+ fatty, then there would seem little point. The rear end of the 575 isn't the most stout rear end in the business, so I'd be very surprised if anyone could tell the difference riding a carbon vs alu back to back. A bigger concern might be the carbon's tyre clearance, especially if you're planning on running a 2.3 in UK conditions (good luck with that!).

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Imho

very few people can really feel the difference in flex between the carbon and AL swingarm. My theory is what they're feeling are the differences in the wheelbuild, tire pressure or shock setup rather than the deflection of the carbon swingarm...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info people and thanks to pixelninja and dubie for reviving the thread,
dubie, i'm thinkin of getting the 575 from bromley bikes cos they are the distributor (i think i recall them having the same address) and i don't think i'll save money buying it from anywhere else. it had occurred to me to purchase from the US but i'd be worried about the UK distributor not honoring the warranty in case anything went wrong down the line.
planning on building the bike up myself as well. i like being able to choose all the components for a totally personalised build. i built my current bike so there shouldn't be any issues. a friend of mine got some new Marta SLs for next to nothing on ebay from hong kong recently so I might see about buying brakes and drive train components trough ebay shops to save some money. thinkin about Formula Oro Puro brakes myself.
i rode an aluminium 575 in 2005 over at the mountain mayhem 24 hour event in the UK. it had a fox talas (125mm) fork and i must say that the bike felt superb both climbing and descending. i'll be getting an adjustable travel fork so i can drop the front end and quicken the steering if ever i don't need 160mm of front travel. i've had a good look around and i've yet to find anything that stands out as much as a 575 for the the type of riding i want to do

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
filter_ie said:
(yes, sorry, another one of these aluminium versus carbon threads)
i'm going to buy a 575 but should i go with the aluminium or carbon version?
the only critisism that i've ever heard of the aluminium 575 is an ocasional lack of rear-end lateral stifness. is this made better or worse by moving to the carbon chain-stay version?
i'll be building an "all-mountain" bike with 6" up front. i really enjoy hitting stuff fast and hard but i'm not one for doing major drops/jumps and i weigh about 160 lbs. the price increase to move up to the carbon 575 is practically nothing (£40, i live in ireland but buying from the UK) but the weight saving is excellent so if the carbon and aluminium 575 are up for the same amount of abuse then i see no reason to not go with the carbon 575.
i've had a look through previous posts but can't find a satisfactory answer. also i don't plan on ever running anything bigger than a 2.3" trye

thanks
eamonn
I've never ridden an aluminum 575 so i don't know if its really stiffer. With a carbon rear I can feel it flex on climbs, off camber straight aways and corners. I can see it flex by just holding the rear brake and pushing the bike forward unweighted, the brake line will flex in at least 1/4". On hard bottom outs the rear tire contacts the swingarm. Everything except the fork is from a donor bike that did not exhibit any of these traits.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is no way that the swingarm structure would flex like that from the tiny amount of brake torque generated by pushing an unweighted bike forward. There simply isn't enough force to generate the moment required. Hold a straight edge on the chain stay and get someone to apply the brake, then you'll be able to see what's really moving.

As for rubbing on hard bottom outs, what size rear tyre are you using, and how much clearance between the top of the tyre and the chain stay bridge? Unless it's very tight to begin with, the swingarm would essentially have to distort and bow like a banana in the vertical plane for the tyre to rub the chain stay bridge. But I could see how this *may* be possible if you only have a few mm of clearance to begin with. But even then, the chain stay would have to flex a massive amount to get the tyre to move *inward* towards the stay bridge.Might want to think about upping your shock pressure a tad if you're bottoming out a lot.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
dubie said:
Have you had a chance to test ride them, as of yet I havn't and am half thinking of buying blind, but being 6 foot I sort of fall into the category of medium and large frame so a bit unsure there.
Go the Large frame. Unless you've got a really short torso for your height, you're not really in between sizes (even according to the Yeti site). I'm 5'10" and could have gone happily with either a Medium or a Large.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
womble said:
Go the Large frame. Unless you've got a really short torso for your height, you're not really in between sizes (even according to the Yeti site). I'm 5'10" and could have gone happily with either a Medium or a Large.
Yeah.. I'm 5'11" and ride a Medium, and while I have no fit problems and the frame is very flickable... I always wonder if I should have gotten a large.... since you are a little bigger than I... as womble I would expect the L to fit you well...

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
A 575 owner here that I ride with (impdude) actually thought had some rubbing of the tire at full compression using a 2.5 Conti tire. Come to find, it was the knobs of the tire rubbing the chain at full compression when he was in the granny-big cog combination and not the chainstay. It did make a cool buzzing noise...hehe...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
dubie said:
Have you had a chance to test ride them, as of yet I havn't and am half thinking of buying blind, but being 6 foot I sort of fall into the category of medium and large frame so a bit unsure there.
My advice would be to test ride before you buy.

I'm a bit over 5' 11" and I initially bought a L. I rode it for 2 years, until I took possession of a new M just yesterday. At first I thought the L was the right size, but after riding it for a while, I decided I felt too stretched out. I shortened the stem from a 100mm to a 90mm, then down to a 75 before the cockpit felt right. Unfortunately, I no longer liked the way it steered with the shorter stem (too quick for my liking). Before I placed the order for the M, I took my L up to my LBS and rode it back-to-back with a M, something I did not do when I initially bought the L. The M with the longer stem felt much better to me. The bike itself felt more nimble, but with the longer stem the steering felt more stable.

But this is just me. I'm in no way saying that you should go for a M. After talking to a bunch of folks here at MTBR and also at my LBS (the #1 Yeti dealer in the world), there's no general consensus as to what size someone our height should ride.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Ratt, have you had your bike checked out at a shop? The 575 isn't the stiffest bike out there but it isn't overly flexy either. From your description, I initially think it's a frame/wheel issue that may causing so much flex. It just seems to be very extreme. I would not feel comfortable riding a bike that feels so flexy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.