Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
Get a new frame from yeti, then sell it, and then get a 5 spot. Best move ever....:thumbsup:
I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum. Didn't you switch to Turner? Why do you feel you need to comment on every post. It seems like to me you are insecure with your 5-spot, so you spend time here badmouthing the 575 so that you can justify spending two months rent/mortage just on a frame.

Also, with all the online, Yeti-Forum posting that you do, it seems like you don't have any time to ride.

Look, I've had my dreaddies looking all fly, and I have just about ever Bob and Peter album there is, and I've been to reggae on the rocks and reggae on the river more times than I can possbily count, I enjoy the lamb's bread, and have been to Jamaica (and some other caribbean islands) with a friend to study music. I'm certainly not a Rasta, but, it seems to me your constant obsession with bike frames, well, it isn't too irie at all.

"Thin you know everything
And worship the bling and deny King
You're in 2 deep"
---Damian

·
Registered
184 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
I'm new here, but I can't figure out why Zion Rasta still hangs out in the Yeti forum. Didn't you switch to Turner? Why do you feel you need to comment on every post. It seems like to me you are insecure with your 5-spot, so you spend time here badmouthing the 575 so that you can justify spending two months rent/mortage just on a frame.

Also, with all the online, Yeti-Forum posting that you do, it seems like you don't have any time to ride.

Look, I've had my dreaddies looking all fly, and I have just about ever Bob and Peter album there is, and I've been to reggae on the rocks and reggae on the river more times than I can possbily count, I enjoy the lamb's bread, and have been to Jamaica (and some other caribbean islands) with a friend to study music. I'm certainly not a Rasta, but, it seems to me your constant obsession with bike frames, well, it isn't too irie at all.

You're in 2 deep"
---Damian
well said

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha

I woke up this morning a little depressed about the broken frame. Luckily, you put this @ss-clown in his place and cheered me up.

lacticacidbath said:

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
lacticacidbath said:

You're in 2 deep"
---Damian
Give Zion a break... He had a 575 and at the time is was the "best bike ever" with a pushed RP3 and VXC wheels. He just got a little itchy to get something new and decided to go with a 5-spot. No big deal. My hunch is that he really misses the 575 now but is trying to convince himself that the 5-spot switch was a good thing so he is just trying to get a little support. He just needs someone to validate to him the choice was a good one. I think that is why he hangs out in this forum. He is fishing for someone to say that he made the right decision.

Give it time, he will eventually sell the 5-spot and get an ASX or something...

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
On a positive note....

kev1n said:
not sure what to say. I was riding at about 8-10 mph, came to a junction and hit the brakes, and CRACK.
It's comforting to see the carbon pivot bending that much without snapping... Like Monty Python says... "Always look at the bright side of life...". I've also seen someone post on this board about breaking a rear triangle and the dealer took a rear triangle off of a 575 on the floor and put that on the main triange. While you're at it, you can also ask if you can upgrade to the new carbon stays (if carbon stays don't freak you out too much).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Spot VS. 575 - different but equal.

FWIW, over the past 3 seasons I've had a 575, switched to a Spot, then back to a 575. Both frames were dreams to ride, but accomplished things a bit differently. Final thoughts? I'm stoked to have 2 great options with 2 great companies. I think it's natural that people tend to be stoked about what they're currently riding - it's a pretty strong undercurrent in all the manufacturing forums. So Zion Rasta, enjoy your Spot. And Iviguy? Be prepared to love your 575. It's just not the kind of situation where one has to lose for the other to win.

Mavsports

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The carbon pivot did delaminate and splinter a bit, but it did bend a lot at first, more than is shown in the pic. I straightened it out a bit so that the rear wheel would roll -the tire was touching the seat stay- so it doesn't look nearly as bad now as when it happened.

I don't think I'll go to the carbon stay, since I don't have the extra couple hundred $ and it's a part I'd probably smash on a rock in a week's time.

Anyway, I'm taking it to a dealer this afternoon.

flipnidaho said:
It's comforting to see the carbon pivot bending that much without snapping... Like Monty Python says... "Always look at the bright side of life...". I've also seen someone post on this board about breaking a rear triangle and the dealer took a rear triangle off of a 575 on the floor and put that on the main triange. While you're at it, you can also ask if you can upgrade to the new carbon stays (if carbon stays don't freak you out too much).

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Feelin' ire

lacticacidbath said:
I'm certainly not a Rasta
You're in 2 deep"
---Damian
I once had a conversation with a rasta man in a cantina in Negril, Jamaica. He was cooking jerk chicken. I spent 4 hour just talking to the guy and learning the teachings of his majesty Ras Tafari Hail Slasie I.

He told me:

"...you do not have to have dreads to be a rasta, the dreads are in your heart...":thumbsup:

Yeah, I know, I miss my Yeti. But the 5 spot is good.

I wish we could somehow all get together and ride.

I love you guys!!!

And, no I am not a troll. I just get a bit opinionated about this stuff. I do like the spot, I liked the yeti's plushness. I wish I could have both.

The spot is living to the expectations.

I hang out in this forum because I like the people that hang out here.

The Spot has the same parts that were on the yeti......

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,363 Posts
MavSports said:
FWIW, over the past 3 seasons I've had a 575, switched to a Spot, then back to a 575. Both frames were dreams to ride, but accomplished things a bit differently. Final thoughts? I'm stoked to have 2 great options with 2 great companies. I think it's natural that people tend to be stoked about what they're currently riding - it's a pretty strong undercurrent in all the manufacturing forums. So Zion Rasta, enjoy your Spot. And Iviguy? Be prepared to love your 575. It's just not the kind of situation where one has to lose for the other to win.

Mavsports
Very well said.... I can't wait to ride the new bike. The bill hit my account today so the means it's ships today... :thumbsup:

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
what year of frame?

How long have you been riding this bike? You're the first one I've seen post a broken 575 frame. I've been bombing my '05 now for 1.5 years on some of the roughest trails here in AZ (South mtn). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The frame is an '04 and almost exactly 2 years old. I'm heavy (200 lbs fully equiped), I ride a lot, and ride pretty hard. Only the rear shock, stem, seatpost and brakes are left from the original "Disc" build. Everything else has been broken or worn out.

Just dropped it off at the shop and the new rear tri is on the way. Good to see Yeti stands by their product and didn't hassle me much about it. After looking at it closely, the weld that failed is definitely sloppier than the others on the bike. Hopefully that can have it back together in the next 8-10 days.

AZmtncycler said:
How long have you been riding this bike? You're the first one I've seen post a broken 575 frame. I've been bombing my '05 now for 1.5 years on some of the roughest trails here in AZ (South mtn). :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Great news

kev1n said:
The frame is an '04 and almost exactly 2 years old. I'm heavy (200 lbs fully equiped), I ride a lot, and ride pretty hard. Only the rear shock, stem, seatpost and brakes are left from the original "Disc" build. Everything else has been broken or worn out.

Just dropped it off at the shop and the new rear tri is on the way. Good to see Yeti stands by their product and didn't hassle me much about it. After looking at it closely, the weld that failed is definitely sloppier than the others on the bike. Hopefully that can have it back together in the next 8-10 days.
I hope the rear triangle gets there fast.

Cheers,
Cris

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
kev1n said:

That's great to hear Yeti's CS is as cool as their guys I met during their demo tour that came down here to AZ. Now, if you only had two of them, you wouldn't be missing a ride while waiting for your new rear Triangle to arrive :D See.... there's a method behind my madness of owning two 575's.:yesnod:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got the call from the shop. She's all ready to be picked up. New rear tri, new pivot bearings. Too bad I won't be able to get away from work to pick her up until tomorrow or Friday :p

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.