said for the 575 because it was designed around
the stress of a 6" rotor, putting an 8" on the he
575 will void the warranty.

-= Adam

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
8 inch rotors

I've seen two Vanillas, one an '03 and another '04, where the disc brake tabs ripped right off the legs of the fork... no warranty protection for the fork either.

I also talked to a guy at a shop in Tahoe, and he said that he'd seen that happen on most of the Special-Ed Enduros the'd seen recently as well.

Unfortunately, those are the only two vanillas I've seen with 203mm rotors, and both broke. I guess that doesn't mean there are more out there that haven't busted, but if fox doesn't stand behind their product with a 203mm rotor, I wouldn't do it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
267 Posts
levee67 said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to fit Hayes HFX 9 DH disc brakes with 8" rotors on a 575 with the Vanilla fork?

Thanks,

damon
From the Fox manual:

Disc Brakes
Disc brakes with 160-180mm rotors can be used on FOX FORX. Do not use DH rotors larger than 180mm. Install disc brakes and torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s recommendations. Install, route and check that all cables or hydraulic hoses are securely fastened to the lower leg and will not move during compression of the fork. Test brakes for proper operation on flat land.

·
I rot before I ripen
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

It seems to me that there's at least one more niche between the 575 and the AS-X. A sub-30-lb bike that handles "aggressive" cross-country and benefits from the greater stopping power of the 8-inch rotors.

damon

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
xc asx

levee67 said:
Thanks for all the replies.

It seems to me that there's at least one more niche between the 575 and the AS-X. A sub-30-lb bike that handles "aggressive" cross-country and benefits from the greater stopping power of the 8-inch rotors.

damon
I agree, but there will be an build up option for the asx this year.... swinger 4 way and a breakout plus (170mm) or firefly (150mm), or nixon (145mm). Should be pretty light dropping that 5th element, since that shock weighs as much as an asr-sl by itself (I know I'm exagerrating, but it's not too far off). The only thing I worry about is hammering on it, but we'll see when we cross that bridge.

I should have a swinger on my asx by this fall, and I'll give a review then.

Maybe you oughtta look into Avid Juicy 7s. They got oodles of braking power. One of my mechanics has 185s on his 575, and that thing will stop on a dime on some pretty steep slopes.

·
you said.. Member
228 Posts
levee67 said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to fit Hayes HFX 9 DH disc brakes with 8" rotors on a 575 with the Vanilla fork?

Thanks,

damon
Well I don't know about the HFX 9's exactly but I do know the Hope Mono M4 in the 200mm variety will fit and work beautifully.

As for the Fox warranty, if it breaks are you gonna send it back to them with the caliper attached?

Didn't think so...

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
anyone have a 05 Vanilla manual handy?

I just got a 575 last week with the 05 fox vanilla rl and I swear that the instruction manual okayed rotors up to 203mm. I'm at work right now but will try to check tonight and make a note tomorrow. Not sure what Yeti would say if fox says okay but their stance is nothing over the 160mm.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
267 Posts
catch22 said:
I just got a 575 last week with the 05 fox vanilla rl and I swear that the instruction manual okayed rotors up to 203mm. I'm at work right now but will try to check tonight and make a note tomorrow. Not sure what Yeti would say if fox says okay but their stance is nothing over the 160mm.
Hmmm. You appear to be correct.
from http://www.foxracingshox.com/website/..\BackOffice\UploadedFiles\OwnersManual\forx_en05.pdf

Disc Brakes
Important - Torque calipers to brake manufacturer's specifications.
Disc brakes with 160-203mm rotors can be used on FOX FORX. Do not use rotors larger than 203mm. Install disc brakes and torque all fasteners according to manufacturer's recommendations. Install, route and check that all cables or hydraulic hoses are securely fastened to the lower leg and will not move during compression of the fork. It is recom-mended that new disc brake pads be installed to ensure proper alignment and to minimize drag. Test brakes for proper operation on flat land.

·
Registered
55 Posts
'04 Vanilla limited to 180mm

Looks like those with '04 models are out of luck though. This is in the '04 Fox Forx manual.

Disc brakes with 160-180mm rotors can be used on FOX FORX. Do not use DH rotors larger than 180mm. Install disc brakes and torque all fasteners according to manufacturer's recommendations. Install, route and check that all cables or hydraulic hoses are securely fastened to the lower leg and will not move during compression of the fork. It is recommended that new disc brake pads be installed to ensure proper alignment and to minimize drag. Test brakes for proper operation on flat land.

So, 180mm comes out to just over 7 inches. Does any one even make a 7" rotor? I sure would like to maximize the front even if Yeti says no on the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.