Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to upgrade to a new seatpost on my 575. I have a straight post at the moment and find I sit back on the saddle should I buy the Thompson Setback or a non setback and increase my stem length from 90mm to XXmm?? I heard that using a setback post could STUFF UP some bikes rear suspension performance .. path etc.

Also any other suggestions for posts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The suspension is not affected by where you sit on the bike.
You have to find the point where you feel most balanced over the two wheels.
The first concern in any bike setup is the seat position, once that is done then look for the right stem size/angle. If you have another bike you can measure from that (seat height, setback behind BB, saddle tilt). If you want to start over from scratch then at least use a seat height for a reference, then with you on the bike measure your front knee with pedals horizontal and try and get it so its over the pedal spindle. This is a 'one size fits all' reference, and you can adjust the seat F & R from there if you feel you aren't in the sweet spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Alex. I am going to set up the height as per LeesBikes suggestion on riding style and then try to get my knee with the spindle to decide if a setback is really needed.

You have possibly just saved me some cash on the stem that can go towards your Hope Pro 2 hub suggestion from before!!! You rock.

BTW. Some tech, maybe an imposter from Titus said that a setback will stuff the suspension path, when I enquired about sizing for a Motolite back in 2008 when i was picking my new bike!!! I didnt want to mention who before, but heck I am a Yeti 575 man now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.