Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna get my Spot, I have all the parts that I had on my 6.6SS.
Stun's wheel set with 2.5 minions,
Havoc wheel set with 2.35 TT larsen
and.... 55 ATA fork 165-125.

Do you think its too much (the fork) for the bike, I want it with the Havocs for desert trips and the Stun's for the wild stuff.

Thanks

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
No probs should be OK not my first choice of fork and also since that fork probably had the most issues of any 08 model in the range, they apparently have resolved many of the issues in the later 08 batches but I have no experience if this is true!

Superstock runs a 55ata on his 5Spot!

My buds been running a 888sl ata a later production run and alls sweet so ya maybe ok!

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
The geo with the 55ATA should be pretty excellent. That is is you're into that sort of thing.

_MK

·
striker!
610 Posts
I have run the 55 on my 5.5 spot all year and I like the setup although I find myself riding the bike a little differently. If I'm hitting a drop where I know I'm going to bottom, I nose in just a little so the fork takes a little more of the impact. If its a big enough hit and both tires touch at the same time, the rear will bottom before the front so I found myself making this adjustment. I love the ATA adjustment and slam the front down for steeper climbs. I like having it mostly extended for the downhill to slacken out the HA and make it more stable for the steep stuff.

For more aggressive trail riding, 2.5 fit fine and a coil makes the Spot even tougher. Pics here.

I've had issues with the fork as it was an early one. Right now, I'm not getting the last half inch of travel and may need to send it in again. It is light and the ATA is awesome for dialing in the bike for different terrain so I put up with the rest.

S

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Every single one of my buds riding an 08 Zoke has had issues. Most recently a friend's 66 ATA was riding 2 inches lower than it should have, and the ATA didn't wind down at all....Back to Zoke on Monday. What perplexed me at the Zoke booth at I-bike was the fact that Zoke's 66 fork line hasn't changed at all. Are we to expect the same problems that were had in 08? If so, Zoke is gonna tank hard in sales this year.

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
El Chingon said:
Every single one of my buds riding an 08 Zoke has had issues. Most recently a friend's 66 ATA was riding 2 inches lower than it should have, and the ATA didn't wind down at all....Back to Zoke on Monday. What perplexed me at the Zoke booth at I-bike was the fact that Zoke's 66 fork line hasn't changed at all. Are we to expect the same problems that were had in 08? If so, Zoke is gonna tank hard in sales this year.
I spoke with Chris in the booth. He admitted to me, without me asking about it, that they had really bad quality issues for their 08 stuff. (I know this first hand with my 55) He said something about tolerances being of in some of the parts used to build the forks. He said that they are confident that they've got it all worked out now. He went into it in more detail than this but this was one of my first booth visits of the morning and I was super hung over from the night before so some of the details escaped me... I really though it was cool that they came out and brought up the fact that they were having issues.
For what it's worth my Lyrik (in two step form) hasn't been trouble free either.

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
tiSS'er said:
My 2008.5 RC3 has been great.

I am building a 5.5 Spot with a Lyrik UTurn, I think the 55ATA would be a good choice.
That's why I've kept my 55. Thinking that the RC3 upgrade may make it nice.
My Lyrik started as a coil u-turn. Worked fine. Went to a 2-step so I wouldn't have to dick with dialing the fork up and down. Like the 2-step feature but it hasn't proven to work very good all the time. Actually I have it broken perfectly now....meaning when I lower the fork it goes down to 145mm vs. the 115mm it's supposed to go too. Much more usable at 145mm so I haven't fixed it.
I put a Crank Bros headset on to lower the stack height. Came down almost 12mm over the Hope I had. We'll see if it holds up but so far so good. I also have the parts to convert the fork to a solo air and if I do that I'll put a spacer in it to bring the fork to 150mm. Now if I can just find the time to make the switch....the bike is still sitting in my basement in the shipping case since getting back from Vegas early yesterday morning.
(after riding in Utah and Colorado I'm in no rush to get back out on our rain soaked muddy trails here in the northeast)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had no issue with the 55 ATA actually it worked great on my SS.

My question was about the matching of the fork to the frame, I still have the option to change from the spot to the RFX..........

I like the filling at the spot cockpit (I never ride the RFX) but I don't want to lose the 160 at the front.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts