Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Racer-X 80 or 100. A little background about myself..I'm an avid mtn biker that rides 2-3 times a week regardless of weather and race Sport 5-6 times a year. I currently ride a 2002 S-Works FSR and am looking for a racier upgrade. I reeeaaaallllly want to purchase a RX 100, but am concerned about the effective top tube length of 22.7" (my current ride is 21.5" with a 110mm stem and straight seat post). Looks like the RX 80 small is a better fit (especially if I shorten my F100RLT to 90mm), but i would prefer the more travel. Also, the custom ti option and more cost doesn't appeal to me... Any feedback with respect to sizing/personal experience is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a small RX-100 on order

I have 06 RX-100 small on order. They say it is shipping next week. I figure I will be riding on January 6 but who knows. I am 5' 6" and have a 30" inseam. I ride a 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 2 and it fits me fine.

I rode a medium 05 RX-100 and it wasn't too bad. I will post once the bike gets in and let you know how I like it. I ride 1 - 3 times a week and race beginner class.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. Congrats on the new ride. I am so wanting an RX 100. Can't wait to here some feedback when you get some time on yours. If you don't mind me asking...what size stem and handlebar will you be using?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd recommend looking at a Hammerhead 100X, 22.5". I'm 5'6", 30" inseam went with it over a RX100 because it was a better overall fit (shorter TT, lower standover, a bit stronger frame, higher bb), probably be a similar situation for you. I'd think a 90mm stem would work out fine.

Other thing, I wouldn't buy a 2006 RX. Kind of like buying a new car model the first year it comes out. That carbon rear end might turn out to be a great thing, but it seems like an unknown at the moment.

www.hammerheadbikes.com

Medium RX100 is wayyyy too big for you. Can't judge the frame based on that experience.

You going to Roaring Mouse?

·
it's the ride....
522 Posts
For 5'3" which one...

I'm in the same boat wondering it should be XS or S Racer-X 80. I know Small racer-x 100 (22.7 TT) will put me too stretched. My HT bike was 21.5" TT and I feel comfortable with it, but I also fit like a glove on 22.2 TT of my 5" trail bike.
How would racer-x 80 work with 100mm travel fork..?
Appreciate any feedback..

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I'm 5'8" 31.5" riding inseam and ride a rx100 sm, had a rx80 sm. The rx100 have longer TT than the 80. if you are more than 1" shorter than me, the sm rx100 is too big for you. I run a straight post with 100mm stem. At 5'3", an XS for sure.
The RX80 works really well at 90mm fork. Try a Reba and dial in between 85-115. I rode the 80 with an 80, and it handles well, but definitely is racer quick.
Personally, i think the rx80 days are numbered. When i got the 100, it made a huge difference in riding comfort and ability. That extra little travel goes a very long way. No way i would buy another 80.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
sftrail said:
I have 06 RX-100 small on order. They say it is shipping next week. I figure I will be riding on January 6 but who knows. I am 5' 6" and have a 30" inseam. I ride a 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 2 and it fits me fine.

I rode a medium 05 RX-100 and it wasn't too bad. I will post once the bike gets in and let you know how I like it. I ride 1 - 3 times a week and race beginner class.
I'm in Los Gatos, and you're more than welcome to try the rx100 or ML in small. Bring pedals. I live a few miles away from Monte Bello, and just a few more gets you to Demo!

·
Paper or plastic?
10,596 Posts
softailteamrider said:
I'm in the same boat wondering it should be XS or S Racer-X 80. I know Small racer-x 100 (22.7 TT) will put me too stretched. My HT bike was 21.5" TT and I feel comfortable with it, but I also fit like a glove on 22.2 TT of my 5" trail bike.
How would racer-x 80 work with 100mm travel fork..?
Appreciate any feedback..
5'7" here riding a S Motolite. At 5'3", you're more than likely in the XS range. Actually, a guy who probably was 5'4" tried my bike once and felt it was too big for him. As usual, YMMV.

·
it's the ride....
522 Posts
rensho said:
I'm 5'8" 31.5" riding inseam and ride a rx100 sm, had a rx80 sm. The rx100 have longer TT than the 80. if you are more than 1" shorter than me, the sm rx100 is too big for you. I run a straight post with 100mm stem. At 5'3", an XS for sure.
The RX80 works really well at 90mm fork. Try a Reba and dial in between 85-115. I rode the 80 with an 80, and it handles well, but definitely is racer quick.
Personally, i think the rx80 days are numbered. When i got the 100, it made a huge difference in riding comfort and ability. That extra little travel goes a very long way. No way i would buy another 80.
Thanks rensho, problem is I don't think there's rx100 with TT less than 22" leaving the option only to XS rx80. Why do you think rx80 is so much different in riding comfort and ability..? I thought the rear travel is both 3.5" , it's the geometry suit either 80 or 100 mm fork. Pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
5'3" on XS racer X

last season I bought my girlfriend who is 5'3" an XS racer X 80. Its fit her well, currently fitted with a 110mm stem but will be switching to a 90mm stem this season as she was a bit too over the front. I also think a riser bar might help a bit. She does not race so no need for that racer feel. She just enjoys the ride and the cush that the racer X offers, geometry is spot on for her size as well. Longer legs and a compact torso with short arms.

Currently would like to purchase her a motolite for a more upright ride with more travel but for the amount she rides better to spend the money elsewhere. She also like the Santa Cruz juliana, a medium fit her well on that bike.

Good luck, be sure that frame fits. Stems and seat placement can only make up for so much as far as fit goes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
softailteamrider said:
Thanks rensho, problem is I don't think there's rx100 with TT less than 22" leaving the option only to XS rx80. Why do you think rx80 is so much different in riding comfort and ability..? I thought the rear travel is both 3.5" , it's the geometry suit either 80 or 100 mm fork. Pardon my ignorance.
RX80 is set up for a 80mm fork, RX100 set up for a 100mm fork. That extra 20mm makes a big difference, you're talking ~1" more travel.

As I already mentioned, you can run a 90mm stem. 10mm is roughly .3". Should work out OK with a 22.5" Hammerhead aka RX100. Small RX100 has a 22.7" TT which is

FYI the smaller frames have a bit more travel than 3.5".

One way to put this to rest is get in touch with a TItus dealer, have them get a demo bike, take it out with a config you think might work and see for yourself.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
softailteamrider said:
IIRC, the rx100 has 3.8" rr travel and the 80 has 3.5". Doesn't seem like any difference on paper, but on the trail, it is huge. As mentioned by the other poster, this is also due to running 90mm+ forks on the rx100.
Sorry, i didn't know about the sizing on the rx100 not coming in a XS.
The 22.5" Hammerhead may get you there, but still seems a bit long(may work if you are long torso, but not likely). Plus, you may call them to see if they even have a XS in stock, as Titus will no longer make Hammerheads, so that is the end of the HH100.

I see that speedgoat.com has a XS Titus ML on sale for $1050. That's close to $400 off.
http://www.speedgoat.com/cart.asp
The ML is a fantastic all mtn bike. It is not a racer, but it goes downhill so much better(more confidence) than a RX. It does bob a little on seated climbs. It climbs better than the rx on tech tech sections, or rooted rocky stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In response to the bar and stem on my small 06 RX-100. I am going with the Easton EC70 Monkeylite Low Rise 25.4 clamp. It’s the same bar I have used before. On the stem side just the standard Titus and I am not sure the size. My shop indicated they would swap it if I didn't like it. The bike arrived yesterday and I will be riding it next weekend. I will let you know how it rides!
Keep the rubber on the trail!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm a 5'6" and I use a RX-100 in small with a 90mm stem with a 1" riser bar and a Fox Talas setup to 100mm aprox. I think that if you are smaller than 5'6" you will not have enough clearance in the top tube area.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Standover height and inseam are one of the issues CarlosPR. As mentioned, there are others on the thread that have the same inseam (30"), myself included, it's tight but OK with a small RX100.

Not sure why you're so focused on a RX Chan. You do realize that the Hammerhead is a custom RX100 no? Take a look at the geometry specs between the two.

Charles has 1 22.5" hammerhead 100x left. Standover is lower than a RX100, top tube is .2" shorter, BB is a tad higher (good for clearance). Hammerhead can accomodate a wider rear tire as well thanks to the freeride rear end. Frame weighs 1/3 lb more (still a very light frame/really academic when you get down to it) and given the benefits (forgot to mention slightly beefier frame) and fit, it's well worth it. Smack a 90mm stem and a low riser bar with decent sweep back... in the end I think it would work out much better than a small RX100. Never know, you might even be able to ride a 100mm stem depending on handlebar position.

It does come in a 22"... but I don't know if he has any left. Generally the website isn't up to date.

Other thing to remember, no one knows how the carbon rears on the 2006 RXs will hold up. Kind of like buying the first model year of a new car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Completed first weekend on my new RX

I have just completed my first weekend on my new RX-100 small. It is a great bike. I would agree with others that a stock small RX-100 is probably not a good fit for anyone smaller than me(5'6"). By comparison it is bigger than my Small Sugar 2 and Fisher Katia. They both have the same geometry.

The bike is a joy to ride, climbs very well and is sooooo fast on the downhill. I am running MonkeyLight EC70-handlebars. The stem is a Titus and I don't know the size. I measured it and it is about 140MM long with a 20mm rise. It is longer and flatter than I have used in the past. I may be changing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
5'4" guy about to build xs Moto-Lite

According to Titus literature, the xs Moto-Lite has the same head and seat angles as the xs RX-80. This of course is when you are running 4" front and rear. If you are 5'4", don't want to spend the money for custom and you want a 4" bike with good handling that fits without compromise, this seems to be the only way to do it with Titus (or any of the other high ends for that matter, I have checked). There are obviously slight trade off's in weight and the "bling" factor, but I bet I can build a sub 26lb Moto for much less $$$ than an RX-80, and now I can choose between 4 or 5 inches of travel instead of being stuck with just 3.

I have an xs Moto on order. It may be a couple months before it is built, but I will post pictures and reviews for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
tazdevl said:
I'd recommend looking at a Hammerhead 100X, 22.5". I'm 5'6", 30" inseam went with it over a RX100 because it was a better overall fit (shorter TT, lower standover, a bit stronger frame, higher bb), probably be a similar situation for you. I'd think a 90mm stem would work out fine.

Other thing, I wouldn't buy a 2006 RX. Kind of like buying a new car model the first year it comes out. That carbon rear end might turn out to be a great thing, but it seems like an unknown at the moment.

www.hammerheadbikes.com

Medium RX100 is wayyyy too big for you. Can't judge the frame based on that experience.

You going to Roaring Mouse?
Tazdevl,

how do you like your small hammerhead? i'm debating also which one to get, small hamerhead or small racer x100...i'm 5' 7" and i have a 17" suspension bike with 22.6 TT,
71 degree head angle, 12.8 BB and standober height of 28.5. i feel that it too tall for me, same geometry as racer x100 and the small hammerhead seems the right size frame
for my height.
how do you like the 13" BB height of the small hammerhead? is it more stable (center of gravity wise-stable)?
i'm thinking of going custom titanium with 70.5 degree head angle as compared to 71 degree head angle of the small hammerhead. i'm going to get a reba u-turn for the front...
with 70.5 head angle, hoping it will not compromise the climbing abilty of the hammerhead as compared to 71 degree.
thanks for any input about the hammerhead. small racer x is a little bit taller for me, right?

·
Registered
380 Posts
akazan said:
Tazdevl,

how do you like your small hammerhead? i'm debating also which one to get, small hamerhead or small racer x100...i'm 5' 7" and i have a 17" suspension bike with 22.6 TT,
71 degree head angle, 12.8 BB and standober height of 28.5. i feel that it too tall for me, same geometry as racer x100 and the small hammerhead seems the right size frame
for my height.
how do you like the 13" BB height of the small hammerhead? is it more stable (center of gravity wise-stable)?
i'm thinking of going custom titanium with 70.5 degree head angle as compared to 71 degree head angle of the small hammerhead. i'm going to get a reba u-turn for the front...
with 70.5 head angle, hoping it will not compromise the climbing abilty of the hammerhead as compared to 71 degree.
thanks for any input about the hammerhead. small racer x is a little bit taller for me, right?
Very happy with the HH, almost went RX, but the top tube, standover and seatpost height fit better with the HH. 13" BB is fine, I'm coming off a Ventana El Salt which had another 0.25" on the BB.

I wouldn't worry about head angle too much... I'm running a Float 130RLC dropped to 110mm. Big part of the climbing ability of the RX/HH is driven by the rear, not the HA. Regardless, climbing position/technique is something you change when you hop on a new bike.

Also almost went custom ti but couldn't justify spending the extra cash... I think my final build came in around $4500 (non custom). The 22.5" HH came in close enough to my measurements that I figured I could monkey with the stem and get comfy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.