Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, help me out. Thanks to my parents, i'm 5'4". Thanks to my pacific islander heritage, i am 210! Looking for a high end FS with good standover for shorter folks.Already own a 14in Yeti Arc Ti, XS Klein fervor, 49 sloping Klein Quantum Race, and a 47 merckx corsa extra ( which is a bit flexy under my 210, but I keep because it is a merckx)Rides are mostly in the southern US, technical XC with the occasional 2-3ft drop. No racing. Also any advice on set up(shock & fork) would be appreciated. most shops don't stock high ends in my size, so most of my search has been online. Am wondering if Ellsworth's Truth is small enough and if the Superlight is worth looking into. Due to posts, I'm not too trusting of the Maverick design. Am up for any and all recommendations. I'm the the MS,AL,TN area, so if you own a shop in the south east and feel confident you can get me set up, I'll drive over for a visit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Add the Turner 5 Spot to your list of bikes to test.

If you are looking at Ellsworth you might want to check out Turner. Have you checked out the Ellsworth Id or the Santa Cruz Heckler? Those are a couple of solid bikes for 3' drops and technical trails. The Id and Heckler are slightly tougher versions of the Truth and Superlight. Also check out the Turner 5 Spot. That might be something you interested in.

I can tell you that I love my SL. I am 6'4" 225lbs and have nothing but positive things to say about this bike but it is a light weight XC racer bike. Since you don't race you might want to check out the bikes mentioned above. The Truth is also a NICE bike but again that is more of a XC racer bike. You might like the 5"+ travel bikes like the ID, Heckler or 5 Spot.

Good luck I hope you find something you like. :D

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
2nd the 5-Spot

alohavolley said:
Guys, help me out. Thanks to my parents, i'm 5'4". Thanks to my pacific islander heritage, i am 210! Looking for a high end FS with good standover for shorter folks.Already own a 14in Yeti Arc Ti, XS Klein fervor, 49 sloping Klein Quantum Race, and a 47 merckx corsa extra ( which is a bit flexy under my 210, but I keep because it is a merckx)Rides are mostly in the southern US, technical XC with the occasional 2-3ft drop. No racing. Also any advice on set up(shock & fork) would be appreciated. most shops don't stock high ends in my size, so most of my search has been online. Am wondering if Ellsworth's Truth is small enough and if the Superlight is worth looking into. Due to posts, I'm not too trusting of the Maverick design. Am up for any and all recommendations. I'm the the MS,AL,TN area, so if you own a shop in the south east and feel confident you can get me set up, I'll drive over for a visit.
The 5-Spot sounds like the right bike for you. A Specialized FSR would work was well, I think, but I'm not sure on the standover. A Heckler might be a good choice, but I'm not really a fan of single pivot bikes. Superlight isn't the right bike for 2-3 foot drops. You're in to the Heckler at that point.

Again, unclear on the standover, but a Titus may be worth checking out.

The shock set up will depend on the bike, so it's hard to make suggestions until you've determined your frame. As far as a fork goes, I'm a big fan of the Marzocchi Marathon SL. It's a fairly beefy air fork. Very tunable for your riding style, weight, etc. I'm not a Fox fan since I've had horrible experiences with a Talus. I cracked a Manitou and had a bad customer service/warrantee experience with them in which they blatantly lied to me, so I'll never pruchase or recommend their products. I've ridden Rock Shox and they seem OK. I've ridden a very flexy SId that held up under my weight just fine (other than the flex) and I'm currently riding a Psylo on one of my bikes. It too seems fine. My choice however is the Marzocchi Marathon.

Good luck.

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
alohavolley said:
Guys, help me out. Thanks to my parents, i'm 5'4". Thanks to my pacific islander heritage, i am 210!
Sorry but you are not 210 because your heritage, but because of what you eat. It's the same reason I am 225 when I should be 200.

Skip the Ellsworth Bikes. They are very tall in the bottom bracket (which leads to a taller standover) as well as being a bit fragile (see the threads on Truth's breaking). As others have said, check out Turner, Titus, and also Ventana.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Ever seen a Samoan in person?

CDMC said:
Sorry but you are not 210 because your heritage, but because of what you eat. It's the same reason I am 225 when I should be 200.

Skip the Ellsworth Bikes. They are very tall in the bottom bracket (which leads to a taller standover) as well as being a bit fragile (see the threads on Truth's breaking). As others have said, check out Turner, Titus, and also Ventana.
I suggest that Samoans have a considerably higher muscle mass as an ethnic group than most. As such they tend to be strong and thick. Not always the case, but usually true.

Ken

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking for a trail bike, or more aggressive XC style bike?

alohavolley said:
I'm kind of in the same boat (5'6"/180lbs) and I'm in the market for a new trail bike. Of all the research I've done so far on that type of bike, the hands down standover winner for us short guys is Ventana X5.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Why do you have to post a picture of those damm Ventanas???? Now I have to go get a towel to wipe the drool off my Keyboard. That paint is so cool.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Clydesdale Proven

Titus Super-Moto! Comes in small with just under 30 inch standover.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info.

Thanks for all the info, Decision is probably down to the ventana and 5 spot. Should I look into a Blur? Ken in KC, thanks for defending my higher muscle density issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
BET74 said:
All we ask is that we get some pictures once the purchase is made!

I have a small Turner Burner works well for me, 5' 7" 185# 29" inseam. Stand over is also a problem for me. A 5 spot, X5, Hammer Head, or a Titus Loco Moto( I have ridden a small LM & HH, pretty good standover). Titus and Ventana will custom make a frame if you want something different.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Other options

Ventana X5 has been mentioned, and that will have great standover, not sure of the smallest size. The 5 spot is a nice ride, but may not offer the standover you want (if you want mega)

other options.

Titus Loco-Moto
Titus Racer X
Titus Super Moto
Intense tracer (not sure if the smallest would be small enough)
Yeti Asr or 575
hammerhead 100x

as mentioned, Ventana and Titus will custom build (and would be my first two choices in your boat)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts