Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride mostly trails and am going to give clipless a try. I'm not super aggressive but hope it will improve my riding. I'm also looking forward to giving my poor shredded shins a break. Is there much of a difference between the Shimano 520 & 540s other than weight? I've heard good things about both for starting out. Wondering if it's worth an extra $40 (CDN) for the 540s.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
just wanted to let you know that my SO has been running the 540's and having problems with the springs coming off. It's happened several times now and it's a pain to fix, although we've been able to disassemble them on the trail and fix them. This also just happened to a friend of mine with his 959's recently.

Anybody else have this problem?
She's had it with these pedals now and is back on her old 747's.

She's also researched it a bit and it sounded like people were having better luck with the 520's. Hopefully she join in here with her comments.

·
Registered
111 Posts
airwreck said:
just wanted to let you know that my SO has been running the 540's and having problems with the springs coming off. It's happened several times now and it's a pain to fix, although we've been able to disassemble them on the trail and fix them. This also just happened to a friend of mine with his 959's recently.

Anybody else have this problem?
She's had it with these pedals now and is back on her old 747's.

She's also researched it a bit and it sounded like people were having better luck with the 520's. Hopefully she join in here with her comments.
I've been running 540s for about a year. I have the tension adjusted pretty tight and have had no problems at all. I really like 'em and, for me, see no reason to try any other pedals.

Dean

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I like the 540s.

never tried the 520 but they look almost identical apart from the spidle seal area.

boonah said:
I ride mostly trails and am going to give clipless a try. I'm not super aggressive but hope it will improve my riding. I'm also looking forward to giving my poor shredded shins a break. Is there much of a difference between the Shimano 520 & 540s other than weight? I've heard good things about both for starting out. Wondering if it's worth an extra $40 (CDN) for the 540s.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
The 520s are wonderful except that the chrome finish began flaking within the first few months. I don't know if that was particular to mine or is widespread, but Shimano warrantied them.

In the mean time, I switched back to their old 535 design. The old design matches the 520 in engagement and release, has poorer mud clearance, but a more durable finish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.