Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to riding. But I am new to trying the 'ultra distance' stuff. Thus doing the 64 miles at The Death March rather than the 100.
I'm good at the hydration and refueling but my issue is pain management.
I dislocated a hip many years ago and it still lets me know about it after a good hard ride. I also have neck issues that seem mostly muscle related.
My questions are on how do deal with them during a long race.
I use Advil, three before a long ride, but have never taken any during a ride. It helps, but isn't a complete solution.
What have you tried that works?
How about for the neck? Anything like a topical solution?
I still have not had my bike professionally fitted. I'm hoping to get that done soon, but I'm not thinking the results will completely solve the issues. Hey, I'm an old moto guy who has managed to damage myself through the years. I'm just trying to not get fat!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, I am 50 this year and started racing distance at 48. I am also a physical therapist. I would advice a bike fit, and seeing someone who can identify a plan that might help, say a strength or flexibility program related to your hip and one for our neck. You are treating symptoms with the Advil and topical applications. Not to say every situation can be resolved, but I would certainly see someone good and give it a shot.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm 52 also and I've been racing for nearly 25 years. The endurance thing is pretty addictive. You're going to love it. 2 things- get a pro bike fit and do some research in regards to Advil, hydration and kidneys.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Well, I am 50 this year and started racing distance at 48. I am also a physical therapist. I would advice a bike fit, and seeing someone who can identify a plan that might help, say a strength or flexibility program related to your hip and one for our neck. You are treating symptoms with the Advil and topical applications. Not to say every situation can be resolved, but I would certainly see someone good and give it a shot.
I concur here. Kudos to you for putting your beat up body into the meat grinder. It shows a strong streak of bad judgement and masochism, and I admire that.

Seriously, try everything you can to be as comfortable as possible. I personally will not take any pain reliever until I'm off my bike and the chamois is in the laundry hamper. I know lots and lots of riders who crunch through advil/ibuprofren all through their endurance efforts, and I sincerely hope they won't regret it years later if their kidneys have trouble.

But I don't want to be preachy. I'm comfortable on my bike. Endurance hurts anyway, but in my way of looking at it that's part of the deal.

EDIT: let me add that I am 50, and I have my own share of old dislocations, dodgy knees, etc.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
55 and going strong, and generally agree with the idea of no pain relievers until after the event. In fact, I usually try and hold out until the morning after (using beer and crossed fingers before that point in time).

But if you need it, you need it, and taking a couple of advil once in awhile isn't anything to worry about.

I'm also an ex-moto guy, and sometimes no amount of anything can completely address the chronic issues associated with old leftover injuries.............face it, you've been around long enough to know for yourself if and when you truly need the occasional pharmaceutical assist.

Have you ever tried Aleve? I think it's kind of like advil, but lasts longer.

Finally, it doesn't sound like you've raced previously? I find that small-ish things that bug me during long training rides never even make it to my consciousness during a race, because, well, I'm racing!

·
Feral Roadie
735 Posts
I'd be very cautious about advil, etc during an endurance event. It puts your kidneys at serious risk. If you do use them, make sure to keep the hydration up.

Think Twice About NSAIDs | Endurance Corner

One thing you might try for your hips is shorter cranks. Most MTB bikes come with 175mm cranks and switching to a shorter crank will reduce the hip angle at the top of your pedal stroke.

When you talk with the bike fitter make sure that you make the results you want clear. There is always some compromise between performance and comfort in setting up your bike.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Get a good bike fit from someone that understand the difference in fitting a MTB vs a road bike. Does make a difference and a pro fit will usually run $250-300 and take a few hours. However, fit can be used all your bikes in the future.

Avoid NSAIDs in endurance events. I'm a victim of it. However, 64 miles is not really an endurance event and you can get away with a lot of mistakes nutrition wise in a shorter race like ones 6 hours and less. I've taken Advil in a 6 hour before and didn't have issues till around 5 hours.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I concur here. Kudos to you for putting your beat up body into the meat grinder. It shows a strong streak of bad judgement and masochism, and I admire that.

Seriously, try everything you can to be as comfortable as possible. I personally will not take any pain reliever until I'm off my bike and the chamois is in the laundry hamper. I know lots and lots of riders who crunch through advil/ibuprofren all through their endurance efforts, and I sincerely hope they won't regret it years later if their kidneys have trouble.

But I don't want to be preachy. I'm comfortable on my bike. Endurance hurts anyway, but in my way of looking at it that's part of the deal.

EDIT: let me add that I am 50, and I have my own share of old dislocations, dodgy knees, etc.
That is an awesome point.

My Sports Med/ortho Doc once told me (when I was doing Iron Mans): "NO MEDS DURING THE EVENT...you could be masking signs of damage being done. Take your Motrin, etc.. AFTER".

Good point Tom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Think about hitting up a yoga class! Great for flexibility, breathing techniques, and the scenery is nice. ;)

I just got into 100 milers this year and I have been a slave to the foam roller. I didn't think it would do much, but the difference is amazing. I got something called the rumble roller on amazon... Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.