Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people complaining about the high price of Schwalbe tires so I thought I'd share a good deal.

I checked the item number against the Schwalbe website and it's the 29x2.35 snakeskin/trailstar compound/tubeless model. I'm sure other models are available too, that's just what I happened to find. Looks like $52 with free shipping or $54 with 2-day shipping for Prime members (not really free shipping for Prime members, sneaky amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Dampf-Evolution-Compound-2-35-Inch/dp/B007BWRGBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396497368&sr=8-1&keywords=hans+dampf+29

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I've been running them for almost 500 mi tubeless without any problems, save for a sharp piece of shale cutting a gash the length of a dime in between knobs in mile 10 on my first ride with them. Patched it up from the inside and it's been fine for another 450+.

I like the grip of the HD just fine, but I found the wear rate to be crap, particularly with the cost of the dang thing. The CM is much better in this regard. Another advantage the CM has over the HD is volume. This is a big ass tire.

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Planet X had the Hans Dampf for $27 shipped around the first of the year, I liked my Chunky Monkeys better so I sold them. CM is about the same weight and has a stickier compound.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
that chunky monkey looks like a DH tire. How Heavy is it?

check bike-discount.de for HD tires. Last time I ordered, it was like $180 for 4 tires, but EVO version.
The CM is heavy...probably over 1000g. It's a high volume tire, and it grips like mad, but I pedal everywhere with them front and back. It's worth the confidence I get from them on the descents. I tend to ride with meatier tires on my bike than I probably "should", but damn it all. CM's on my RIP 9, Nobby Nic rear, Hans Dampf front on my single speed.

Taken from the CM product page: "Weights TBA, but if you're concerned, it's probably the wrong tire for you."

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The CM is heavy...probably over 1000g. It's a high volume tire, and it grips like mad, but I pedal everywhere with them front and back. It's worth the confidence I get from them on the descents. I tend to ride with meatier tires on my bike than I probably "should", but damn it all. CM's on my RIP 9, Nobby Nic rear, Hans Dampf front on my single speed.

Taken from the CM product page: "Weights TBA, but if you're concerned, it's probably the wrong tire for you."
I do not have my data book in front of me, but the ChMonk 29" is in the low 900g range. High volume supple casing, big consistent grip, long wearing trail tire.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if this is the evo line HD, it's a good deal. I can't tell from amazon. according to schwab, hd 29x2.35 850g. those cms are about 900g for the trail extreme and 980gm for enduro. Close enough to compete in that category.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.