Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like the bigger bike or the smaller bike? Niner says it is all about preference. Thanks guys.

·
COTA member
971 Posts
Large as it ended up the same reach as my Jet 9 alum Medium. 90mm stem. Seat height 29". I could ride either. I figured as I am not getting younger a tad longer wheelbase could provide a bit more comfort.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Long arms and legs so I ride the Large to get a nice XC position with a shorter stem. I have a Med WFO that is more playful but awkward for long pedaling rides.

JMH

·
Registered
144 Posts
Large with 100mm stem - I'm 5'11" with 33 3/4" inseam. I rode both sizes prior to ordering. Medium was fine but large felt right on for me. I've had my RDO for 5 weeks and glad I went with large.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Large with 110mm stem and 670mm Flattop Bar. RDO Seatpost with no offset. Seat is about 29.25" above the center of the BB.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went and sat on a RDO Jet today and it felt huge. I barely had any standover. Hmm. Thanks for input.

·
COTA member
971 Posts
What size RDO? What length fork? I find stand over comparable to my previous Jet 9 alum med. The top tube swoops down more near the seat post. Of course when I have the TALAS at 95mm, stand over drops.

Got in a good 2.5 hour ride on single track today on the RDO today. Very pleased. The extra 20mm of travel does provide for a better ride. With the Enve carbon wheels it is a very precise ride. I am definitely faster on the downhills than before as very confidence inspiring. Even though I moved up one size, I can't say I notice any less manueverability on the twisty trails I rode today. I am running a Niner carbon bar at 650 mm which is 20 mm narrower than my previous medium J9 alum. The RDO so far is living up to expectations. Can't wait to do some long climbs this summer.

If you can go with a med and no setback seat post then go that route. In my case I couldn't.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must be bigger

What size RDO? What length fork? I find stand over comparable to my previous Jet 9 alum med. The top tube swoops down more near the seat post. Of course when I have the TALAS at 95mm, stand over drops.

Got in a good 2.5 hour ride on single track today on the RDO today. Very pleased. The extra 20mm of travel does provide for a better ride. With the Enve carbon wheels it is a very precise ride. I am definitely faster on the downhills than before as very confidence inspiring. Even though I moved up one size, I can't say I notice any less manueverability on the twisty trails I rode today. I am running a Niner carbon bar at 650 mm which is 20 mm narrower than my previous medium J9 alum. The RDO so far is living up to expectations. Can't wait to do some long climbs this summer.

If you can go with a med and no setback seat post then go that route. In my case I couldn't.
I'm running a straight post on my Jet 9. It fits nicely but I do have 9" of seat post showing. I went to Cycle Path today and looked around at the Niners.and ran into a gorgeous Moots and you would have thought Ms. Universe was at the store because I was in a trance. What a bike!!!! I went in looking at Niner 9 RDOs and came out fixated on a freaking Moots HT. It is like I'm autistic and attracted to shiny things :)

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I never take bikes too serious! I could ride a Turner or a Trek and have a good time. I'm not buying a Moots anytime soon but they are beautiful. I don't fear chipping but if I had to pick a HT Moots would top my list :) Life is too short to get uptight about a bike!

By the way, Niner told me they shortened the Niner 9 RDO to make it a more all around bike. The Jet 9 alloy was designed as a racer and the 9 RDO is designed as all around bike.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went and sat on a RDO Jet today and it felt huge. I barely had any standover. Hmm. Thanks for input.
Agreed, the Large RDO feels huge in a shop and standover is a lot less than my Stumpy FS 26er. But the RDO really comes together on the trail. For some reason the size goes away when riding and the bike is super nimble.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
5'11" (on a good day), 34" in-seam.
Was on a Medium Jet 9 Alu.
Bought a Large Jet RDO. No regret at all. Great fit. Does not feel too big at all.
Bike feels great, I love it!

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man you guys are convincing me to take that bad boy out and give it a go. Anybody want an old cat as a trade for a large 9 RDO? I might throw in my neighbor and his dumb cousin. Sheesh, I want a Jet 9 RDO!!!

·
COTA member
971 Posts
I don't think you will be disappointed. I have not heard of any chain suck/stuck issues with the RDO, but then again it was not an issue for me on the J9A. I must say the Fox TALAS is a world of improvement over the Reba RL in soaking up the little stuff. Actually it's better at every condition.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I rode a large RDO 9 around the parking lot and it is the right size for my type of riding. My problem is my Fox F29er fork won't fit the large because the fork steerer is too short. Dang! I like my alloy 9 and I'm going to ride it throughout the race season and see what I want to do in the Fall. Thanks for your tips!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts