Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5'11 - 6'0" frame sizing...

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  logbiter 
It's about the proportions.

I'm 5'11" / 6'0", but with a 30" inseam. I'm comfortable on bikes with a 22.5 inch top tube. Doesn't matter if it's a 15" or 17" bike. I know - I've got both.

I've had:
2 15"s (Jamis/Ventana)
1 16" (Univega)
2 17"s (Specialized, Specialized)
1 Medium (effectively a 18")(V-link)
3 18"s (Rocky, Schwinn, Schwinn)

And the ones that have fit best have been the 15-17" frames, but I also tend to longer stem lengths. Probably has something to do with starting riding in the very early 90's. :) I don't expect anyone else to fit to a bike properly by just copying my setup. Fit is annoyingly individualistic, and like the guy with the Fat Chance noted below... getting the right fit can make, or break, a bike. I've sold off my Specialized's, my V-Link, Schwinns and Rocky, all at least partially, due to fit.

JmZ

RetroG said:
Curious to know the following:

Height, inseam,type of frame, frame size, effective top tube length, stem length of your ride and how it works out for you. Also, do you have any freaky body characteristics like short arms, torso, legs etc. I'm trying to size a new frame. My current ride is too small, 17" frame w/22.2" ett. I'm just shy of 6' with a measured inseam of 33"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.