Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody riding the new fiveten kestrel pro boa? I'm looking for a new trail shoes and have ridden the kestrel lace and original giro chamber but it's time for a replacement... never had any problems with any of those but the giro definitely is a little warmer than the kestrel lace and that leather/fake leather isn't very breathable.

So my options are Spec Cliplite Boa, Kestrel Pro Boa or Giro Chamber II, I'm be pairing these with cb mallet E and mallet dh pedals, both the kestrel lace and original chamber work very well with the mallet e I have on my trail bike...

so anybody on the new kestrel pro boa? any feedback? any comparison to the chamber 2 or 2fo cliplite?

·
EDR
10,502 Posts
Well since no one else has chimed in I'll just say that maybe I'm the odd guy but I tried, and did not like BOA laces at all. Have you tried them yourself?

I actually returned the shoes with BOA and went with kestrel lace. For me I did not like how the BOA system tightens everything evenly. Never would have ever even thought about it until I tried that system but I find I need to tighten around the bottom near the toe box pretty tight, then looser over the top of my foot (or it goes numb), finally tighter again on the final lace. The BOA system tightened too much over the top of my foot when pulled enough to snug the lowest area and really didn't allow me vary the snugness over the entire fit, but everyone is different. I'm much happier with laces and I'm sure the specific shoe plays a role as well.
As to which shoe, IDK. I like my kestrels but they haven't changed my life or anything. They fit, walk good on the rocks when needed and are a little lighter than my old Lake Vibram soled shoes I loved so good enough for me.

·
Freezer
606 Posts
I also ordered the Kestrel Pro Boa to possibly replace the Kestrel laces I’ve been riding for about a year. Got the Pro Boa last week and did a side by side comparison with the Kestrel lace. The soles are identical. The boa version has a higher rise at the back of the ankle. What I didn’t like was the fit of the upper at midfoot above the arch- no matter how tight the boa was, the upper was loose above the arch. Compared to the lace version, my foot felt less secure in the shoe even with the boa uncomfortably tight. In addition, the upper material felt thinner than the material on the lace version. Lastly, wasn’t psyched about the aesthetics, including replacing the 510 logo with Adidas (way to go with the brand dilution Adidas!). Ended up returning the Boa and happy with the lace version.

I also have the Specialized Cliplite Boa. It’s a lighter shoe than the Kestrel but it’s noticeably narrower and on the Mallet pedal it provides a fair amount less lateral support for cornering and technical riding. It generally feels a lot more XC than the Kestrel. Depending on your preference and the terrain you ride, that can be a positive or a negative.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like lace is the way to go, getting the fit dialed is the main issue I see people complaining about these more aggresive BOA shoes

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
I have a pair of the Troy Lee pro BOA shoes and fortunately for me the closure system agrees with my foot shape.

My criticisms include a stiff collar area that poked into my ankle causing soreness until the shoes (or my ankles) broke in. The BOA lacing also got sticky and I had to apply a few drops of silicone lube to get them to move smoothly.

I really like being able to tighten and loosen each shoe with one hand while in motion. Say I’m approaching a fast technical section and want to snug up my shoes for performance, I can reach down and give each dial a couple of clicks. If I’m on a long easy stretch and want to loosen the shoes for comfort I reach down and back them off a couple of clicks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.