Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was my birthday. A brief history. I work at a place that banned smoking 3-1-07. I quit after 30 years of smoking. I took up mountain biking in 98. I decided to ride a mile for each year of my age. It took over six hours and a lot of determination. I made it. It was my passion today. GBB :thumbsup: :D Thanks.

edit: started riding in 98 not 88. oops!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Goodonya!

Not to brag (ummm, wait, I guess I am bragging ;) ) but last monday I put in a 95 mi. single speed ride with about 12,000 ft. of climbing. 11 hours of non stop fun. But hey, I'm younger than you. I turned 50 in May. For my 50 bday I did a 50 mile ultramarathon trail run.

Don't you hate it when some jerk tries to one up ya? Yeah me too.

Seriously, good ride and an excellent way to burn off the birthday cake. And double props for giving up the smokes. Well Done! Keep Rollin'!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Good onya!
Looks a bit like the Grand Valley.
izzit?

I smoked for 20 years. Used to climb Smuggler mt and stop for a smoke. Then ride the Hunter Cr single track down.

Best thing I ever did was quit.

Once again, Good on ya!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrads on quitting smoking and also the ride. 51 miles in a day is a good workout.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Good on ya! :thumbsup: Keep riding for you and your loved ones!

I have similar plans for April when I turn 60. I have faced two life ending situations in the last three years. The desire to ride kept me going.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a
lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good job! I did 50 on my 50th and will do 51 next year.
Keep it up!

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
I've had the plans for a 50 on my 50th, come spring; the 6-piece collarbone I just had rebuilt may slightly impact those plans, but time will tell. At any rate, my 50th is MY DAY, and I'm gonna do as I see fit to do! There's a local restaurant that serves a free meal for birthdays, I'm taking the day before/day of/day after off work, and one way or another, I WILL be doing at least SOME riding!

Nice to know I've got quality company, dudes!

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Good for you !

51 miles is a good ride at any age :thumbsup:

I'm a bit older, but have never smoked, and been MTBng all my life. I've never done a ST Century, but I'd like to do it once before I hit 60.

As an aside, several of us "Mature Riders" have requested the forums include a "Mature Rider" section to discuss the over 50 crowd's needs.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424020&highlight=older+riders

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=449791&highlight=older+riders

Anyone want a "Masters Class" section in the main forums ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
onbelaydave As an aside said:
Hooray for the guys who quit cigarettes and keep fit on mtb.
Yes, I think the Golden Ages should have their own forum.
Issues are different for the mature bikers.
I will ride 56 singletrack miles on my next birthday.
:p

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Congrats from a fellow New Mexican! What was the route?
Thanks all. House to base of tram. South to freeway and back to house for lunch. 27 miles. Then 24 miles of urban. 123:thumbsup: GBB:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts