Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
oh crap...
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the 29er version with WW LT's or Racing Ralphs like GT suggested? I've read mikesee doesn't like them applied as a freeride rim in the desert but has anyone built up this combo for the winter/snow?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
farmerfrederico said:
Anyone running the 29er version with WW LT's or Racing Ralphs like GT suggested? I've read mikesee doesn't like them applied as a freeride rim in the desert but has anyone built up this combo for the winter/snow?
I will have an answer for you in a few weeks. I just ordered them this week, to build for a "hardpack" bike to backup my Pugs for Arrowhead. I will run WW LTs
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,926 Posts
farmerfrederico said:
Anyone running the 29er version with WW LT's or Racing Ralphs like GT suggested? I've read mikesee doesn't like them applied as a freeride rim in the desert but has anyone built up this combo for the winter/snow?
It's funny how stuff like that gets spread. Funnier still that I never said/wrote anything of the sort. I've never ridden 'em on dirt--don't see any point in it.

They are a well made singlewall rim. Extremely light relative to their width--especially if you get the drilled out version. I'm riding a set with RR 2.4's and that's just fine for hardpacked snow. Really spreads out the tire casing and allows you to run lower pressures with no squirm and less chance of flatting.

I've built a few other sets for customers this fall for 29" bikes as well as Pugsleys, and all seem to be enjoying them for what they are--phat and light.

The drilled version (as in weight saving holes--G-Ted had a pic of one on 29inches a day or two ago...) builds a way, way, way whippier wheel than the undrilled. Shouldn't be any surprise--take a light rim and remove ~25% of it's material it ain't gonna get any stiffer.

For light XC use and winter snow riding they'll build up plenty strong for most anyone. They are *NOT* a substitute for a Gordo or Kris Holm Uni rim--if you plan to ride 'em on dirt or tech trail you've got a harsh (and potentially expensive) surprise coming your way.

If the storm that started a few hours ago leaves anything like the 50" of snow that's predicted, I'll be reinstalling my hundees for the rest of the winter and that'll be that.

Cheers,

MC
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Thanks Mike!

I didn't know there was an undrilled version out there. Makes sense though if I woulda just thought about it more. :rolleyes: Heh heh! Being a bit thick headed here.

I think for my purposes a KH rim would be all I would need. Plus, it would be far more versatile, as you say, being that I would only really use them for the snow factor about three weeks out of the year. I've got to get a little more return for my investment than that.

Thanks for the feedback here.
 

·
oh crap...
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikesee said:
It's funny how stuff like that gets spread. Funnier still that I never said/wrote anything of the sort. I've never ridden 'em on dirt--don't see any point in it.

...

For light XC use and winter snow riding they'll build up plenty strong for most anyone. They are *NOT* a substitute for a Gordo or Kris Holm Uni rim--if you plan to ride 'em on dirt or tech trail you've got a harsh (and potentially expensive) surprise coming your way.

Cheers,

MC
mikesee,

I apologize for putting words into your mouth, it was really heresay. However, I've quoted above what I think I HEARD you were getting at - in terms of application, the Umas are best left to the snow...and that's where my interest lies.

In the long run though, I think for the money spent, if one is really looking for flotation and the fat bike experience, then wider rims and the Endomorphs are the ticket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
im never going back to the LM after riding the UMAs. they are much lighter and you feel it big time when riding. if you want float you can get them wider than 50mm also and they will still be lighter than the LM.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Noooooooooooo

I'm gonna have to call on the moderator to remove the pictures of those"Kiddie" wheels, I never thought my eyes would be scared like this on the 29er forum:nono:
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,926 Posts
farmerfrederico said:
mikesee,

I apologize for putting words into your mouth, it was really heresay. However, I've quoted above what I think I HEARD you were getting at - in terms of application, the Umas are best left to the snow...and that's where my interest lies.

In the long run though, I think for the money spent, if one is really looking for flotation and the fat bike experience, then wider rims and the Endomorphs are the ticket.
Hey no worries--like I said I thought it was funny. And 100% agreed that snow is where they should stay.

FWIW, I measured the RR's on the Uma's last night: ~63mm average casing width at ~15psi.

Cheers,

MC
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
motobutane said:
I'm gonna have to call on the moderator to remove the pictures of those"Kiddie" wheels, I never thought my eyes would be scared like this on the 29er forum:nono:
they may be kiddy rims, but those tires are as tall as a 29er tire and nearly twice as wide. i would maybe call them developmentally disabled twentyniner tires....
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
mikesee said:
................

FWIW, I measured the RR's on the Uma's last night: ~63mm average casing width at ~15psi.

Cheers,

MC
Hmmm.........really? RR's on a Gordo are almost 61mm wide for the casing. Me-thinks the added 2mm with an Uma isn't worth the trouble, at least for my uses.

Thanks for the info. :D
 

·
oh crap...
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guitar Ted said:
Hmmm.........really? RR's on a Gordo are almost 61mm wide for the casing. Me-thinks the added 2mm with an Uma isn't worth the trouble, at least for my uses.

Thanks for the info. :D
I don't think it's going to cut it for me either...thanks for the help, guys!
 

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Hmmm.........really? RR's on a Gordo are almost 61mm wide for the casing. Me-thinks the added 2mm with an Uma isn't worth the trouble, at least for my uses.
I think there's a little bit of misinformation there. My 2.4 RR's on Uma's are 66mm wide for the casing. However, they've been on my Sultan already for a summer, so may have stretched some. I've been putting a ton of miles on these when conditions allow, foregoing my FatBike for something a bit sportier. If my local trails have firmed up, the Uma/RR combo proves to be a ton of fun.

What is correct though is that these are light, single walled rims, not meant for freeride duty. Use them for their intended purpose, which has lots of snow and a large volume tire for cushion, and they're great.

Oh, and I've been way more pleased with the RR's than the WW's. The front WW tends to slide out on me in the turns, and the rear could use 2mm more knob height for a bit more grip on the climbs. The RR's have been superb, just don't lower the air pressure a ton, the thin sidewalls can't take it.
 

Attachments

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,926 Posts
Randy-

I think you're onto something--my RR's haven't been above ~20psi, and have only been ridden about 8 hours total. Pretty sure they haven't begun to stretch.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

MC
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
EndoRando said:
I think there's a little bit of misinformation there. My 2.4 RR's on Uma's are 66mm wide for the casing. However, they've been on my Sultan already for a summer, so may have stretched some. I've been putting a ton of miles on these when conditions allow, foregoing my FatBike for something a bit sportier. If my local trails have firmed up, the Uma/RR combo proves to be a ton of fun.

What is correct though is that these are light, single walled rims, not meant for freeride duty. Use them for their intended purpose, which has lots of snow and a large volume tire for cushion, and they're great.

Oh, and I've been way more pleased with the RR's than the WW's. The front WW tends to slide out on me in the turns, and the rear could use 2mm more knob height for a bit more grip on the climbs. The RR's have been superb, just don't lower the air pressure a ton, the thin sidewalls can't take it.
66mm? Okay, that's impressive. I have to put my well ridden RR back on my Gordo and re-measure! :D

Still, having a special wheel set for snow riding is a hard thing 'round these parts. We had some rideable snow, for about what? Two weeks, then it was gone in a day. Now we're supposed to get something today, but it may not be rideable snow, just powder. It is such a crap shoot here in the Mid-West (Iowa in particular) that the wheels you use for snow riding have to be able to do other things and do them well.

Even if my RR's still only go 61mm I'd not get the Uma's. It just isn't enough of a difference to get a wheel set that I might only pull out a handful of times a year.

By the way, I was running about 22-25 psi in my RR's last winter. You are right though, they don't go as low with the psi as WW LT's can, and the sidewalls are the reason. Even so, I think the RR's are a better winter tire because of those sidewalls.

Thanks for the pics and that WaltWorks is a fine looking rig there.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top