Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make 29er rims that are that wide? I know Kris Holm makes a 47 but it's almost 800g and double wall. I was hoping for something a bit lighter and maybe single wall.

I know P 35s are 35mm. :p

·
Administrator
11,324 Posts
Funny I was just surfing for something similar for a build for my big stuff wheels. I wish the KH FR rim came in a 32 hole version or the standard KH rim wasn't so heavy. What we really need is a rim akin to the Surly Marge Lite in a 29er version. A single wall lighter rim in a wide wide. Single walls can be just as good as double walls, especially considering how good extrusion technology and AL alloys have come.

Wish I had the scratch for a Salsa Gordo, seems like a killer rim. A little research bears it out as being a stonger and more importantly stiffer rim than the P-35. Just wish it wasn't as pricey.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I could be wrong but I think snowcat rims still makes a 29er rim, single wall, 44mm wide. I have an old set of 26ers laying around and used them a few years ago. They're relatively light and did pretty well in snow and sand, the 29er wheels would probably be even better.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started really thinking about it when I saw this picture and thought wow! a 50mm rim really makes those tires look good. Turns out that is a bike Jeff built for his daughter and it's a 26er. But still on 50mm rims. 34-35mm rims are better than skinny rims but I really think something can be gained by going to 45 to 50mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to find some Snowcats but only talk about them- Snowcat Rims -but nothing about buying them. They also made a 45mm 650B which is right up my alley for a future project. But once again nothing to buy. Holm used to make a 650 too I'm pretty sure but it's no longer on his website.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Who rolls the Surly rims? Have some 29ers rolled if there is enough demand?

·
Administrator
11,324 Posts
I tried to find some Snowcats but only talk about them- Snowcat Rims -but nothing about buying them. They also made a 45mm 650B which is right up my alley for a future project. But once again nothing to buy. Holm used to make a 650 too I'm pretty sure but it's no longer on his website.
Winter Goodies Order Form

you can thank me with an IPA of your choice!

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Speedway UMA's in 29er, 50mm wide.

Had them for a couple winters at least, got mine through Mikesee not sure of current availability.

Single wall, mine with no holes were supposed to weigh about 730 a piece if I recollect right.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Kh

I'm running the KH 47mm and really do not mind the extra weight. The rim will take just about anything you could possibly run into.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who rolls the Surly rims? Have some 29ers rolled if there is enough demand?
I thought about that but have not done any research on it. Don't know about minimums etc. Or even where to start. I've been meaning to talk to MikeSee about it. But since there may be some 50mm ish rims out there in 29er I think I'll see if I can find any first.

And yes Jones is testing some now but not sure how that is going to turn out.

If I was going to have rims made I think I would go for 650B 50mm because I have a project I want to do that needs that size. But I also have to have tires made so that's a big process and a big commitment. Although I hear a large bike company is thinking along the same lines.

Then of course I have to make the bike to go with them. But it would be made to fit current 4" 26er fat tires as well as 650b x 3 and 29er x 2.5 or maybe a bit fatter.

I made a list of all the things I would like to incorporate in the bike and I think it could be an advancement after building my long travel fat tire bike and liking it so much. But one thing at at time. The long travel 29er DH bike should be happening this spring and the 50mm rims would work for that and actually if it's going to be a DHer the KH rims might be a good choice. But the only 36 hole thing is a bit of a drag making the purchase of new hubs a must.

Glad I bought up some 2.5 dissents caues they are not in production at the moment and after talking to Maxxis the 29er Minion is still in the works ironing out production issues so who knows when it will come around. They said by the end of the year probably.

It's really hard to get someone to try wide anything it seems unless they have already experience it themselves. The guy I ride with keeps having tire failure issues and I have been trying for a year to get him to try some wide meaty tires but he just won't do it. Even on his 36lb Enduro. Even with 2.6 Ardents and 2.7 High Rollers on sale for $12 each (Jenson) he still won't take the "risk". So with that in mind doing a big run of 50mm rims is a gamble.

Personally I think it's almost always more fun on meaty tires, unless it smooth.

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
Speedway used to have a 50mm version of the umma in both 26 and 29"

There seems to be demand for both sizes so I am not sure why they don't make more.

I got one of the 29" rims a couple years ago. 32 spoke with lightening holes. I honestly didn't think it would survive but it had been great. I got one of the last 26" rims this fall and have been very happy with that one as well.

50mm rims spread out "standard" tires quite nicely.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Doesn't Jeff J have 50mm rims listed for sale on his website? Just go to the online store link and click on wheels/rims. Could have sworn I saw them. No info. on weight though.

·
Administrator
11,324 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve, you are friends with Jones right? So I assume you are testing out those rims as a special privilege. Here is a shot of the ones he's riding right now. The front has small holes. Any idea how makes them for him? I assume he will start selling them as long as nothing fails.

Rockcrusher, Thanks for the link to the sales page for the Snowcat rims. That's cool that they make them in 650 as well as both solid and drilled. I might be missing it but I can't find a weights anywhere so I guess I'll have to give them a call later when they wake up and ask. I'll post them when I get them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a shot vid of me going up a ledge on my long travel fat bike a couple of months ago. First time up so my timing was a bit off and I nicked my chain guard. On rough technical climbs like riding horse trails that go straight up and straight down this bike climbs like no other I have ever ridden. Plus the big tires float over stuff so much better and the suspension controls the bounce that you get from the large volume. I run about 9psi front and 14 rear. Tubeless front. Couldn't get the Nate to hold. BURP Highline TechAlt on Vimeo

·
Banned
1,139 Posts
I started really thinking about it when I saw this picture and thought wow! a 50mm rim really makes those tires look good. Turns out that is a bike Jeff built for his daughter and it's a 26er. But still on 50mm rims. 34-35mm rims are better than skinny rims but I really think something can be gained by going to 45 to 50mm.
Very nice

1 - 20 of 31 Posts