Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

As the subject says it all. I have been riding twice a week for the last 3 months and am currently up to 20 miles on the weekends. I stretch every single morning for 30 minutes TRYING to make these lower back pains that come on at around 12 - 15 miles give or take. I know my cardio and legs will handle the 50K no problem, but I am afraid the lower back will not let me.
What do you all think about an aspirin before I head out or maybe 10 miles in? I will continue to stretch and ride and work on core, but I have this race Oct. 16th. There is no giving up on this. There has got to be something to help me get through this.

The bike is set up good. I am working on my ride posture, don't know what else to ease this lower back pain.

Any advice would be great please.

Thanks

Sid

· Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,251 Posts
The only thing that has helped me is to stand up way more than I ever did. Every short climb, I stand up and try to physically not arch my back. Watch how Jenny rissveds races, and you’ll see it. She sits more upright and it looks a bit odd. But that one thing, realizing how I hunched over while seated. I found a coach for mtb strength training, and his first message was how sitting down and hammering is hard on the low back.

Easy enough to try, it’s free, but does take some work to get your standing leg muscles used to it.

That, andrubbing AMP pr lotion helped too.

I tried rubbing icy hot before races, Advil before, didn’t help me. I’m 53 and have been training and racing 31 years straight now. It’s always been an issue.

· Registered
76 Posts
While stretching is great, have you ever tried a yoga routine? I find it keeps me injury free when I keep up with it. I just follow a 20 min YouTube video Monday, Wed, Friday, and I ride Tuesday and Thursday and once on the weekend. This is the routine I do most frequently, but there are a lot of other 20 min yoga for mountain biking or yoga for cycling videos to choose from.
. The other source I love for help is Bob & Brad
. They are physical therapists and their advice and videos have helped me cure plantar faciatitis, IT pain, and Achilles tendonitis. I know that they also have videos for back pain. Best of luck to you.

· Registered
998 Posts
Are you doing any strength training for your upper body/core? It might be worth the fee to visit a PT to get checked out and maybe have some exercises recommended.
This^^^^^^^^^ What you need to do is visit a Physiotherapist & get some exercises happening to build up your core muscles that support your back. It works. Not overnight, you'll have some relapses, but keep at it & you'll eventually get there. I find hiking/walking up steep hills & over very rough terrain helps too.

· Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
The only thing that has helped me is to stand up way more than I ever did.
I do this.

A static position is bad for me, even on a road ride.
Sitting over rough trails is not an option on my HT.
I am more efficient/smoother if I can push a bigger gear.
So standing solves everything.

-F

· Registered
8,461 Posts
Complete wild guess, but is your seat too high? If you hips are rocking at all that will irritate your back in a hurry.

I am super sensitive to this. If my seat is a mm too high it will set my back off.

· Registered
8 Posts
Everything everyone else said, and I'll add that maybe moving the saddle forward or backward on the rails might help.

I've had this same problem and it occasionally resurfaces. My physio has constantly said I have poor hip mobility and glute activation and this results in my back muscles being recruited for lower body activities leading to lower back pain after a time. She had me do squats holding a broom stick along my back and maintaining contact with it as I squatted and stood back up. This retrained my muscles and eliminated the back pain. Like I said, apparently my body sometimes forgets so I have to go back to the squat routine but it always seems to do the trick. I just keep falling into bad habits, presumably because they are easy or I'm compensating for something else.

Good luck - hope you find the solution that works for you!

· Registered
8,287 Posts
Everything everyone else said, and I'll add that maybe moving the saddle forward or backward on the rails might help.
I'm no Steep Seat Tube zealot, but I think sliding the seat forward might just help. And, it's free, quick, and easy to change back.

I'd also agree with the core and upper body strengthening already recommended, but I'm not sure the remaining time is enough. Couldn't hurt to start, I guess. I do a 20-25 minute dumbbell/situp/pushup routine twice a week, and I think it makes sense for mtb.

· Registered
6,932 Posts
Evening all,

What do you all think about an aspirin before I head out or maybe 10 miles in?

Thanks

Sid
An aspirin? Man, this is the fifty+ forum. Some people here are taking 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day on bad days and I bet at least half are on an aspirin a day so their heart doesn't explode!
If you're gonna medicate, be serious.
Anyway, how is your bike set up - are your bars lower than your saddle? Could you make some adjustments, like raise the bar height relative to the saddle, or anything else?
Have you tried anything else?
Are you on 175 cranks? Are you short? What bike? Are you on flats or clipless? Where, exactly, is the pain? If it's on either side of the base of your spine, this is magic!

I just do the exercise at time 4:00, now and it prevents the back pain I had been getting. My wife just did it once, and her back pain was gone.

· Registered
93 Posts
Look up the Big 3 back exercises from Stuart McGill. Guy wrote the book on back pain and treatments. I did those exercises daily or twice a day and it fixed my back pain while riding. Your core (like mine was) is weak. Don't waste your money or chiropractors or PT's.

· Registered
2,867 Posts
Yoga, core work, stretching, squats, posture on the bike - have to do these. Going to a steeper seat angle made the biggest difference for me, and a more upright climbing position. Had to change my cleat position. Ditching the hydro pack for a hip pack/bottle combo also made a difference.

· Registered
201 Posts
I have always done a ton of core work, so am good there. My lower back will give me pain if I get out of alignment. I try to do some combination of deadlifts, "supermans" and "chops" every day. "Chops" keep my back feeling great.

I use a dumbbell or a homemade kettle ball that I made. Stand with feet apart, back flat, stomach firm and swing the weight down between my legs, head up. I'm sure there is a more proper name for this, but the motion is as if you are standing on a log and chopping it between your legs.

· Nurse Ben
11,636 Posts
Evening all,

As the subject says it all. I have been riding twice a week for the last 3 months and am currently up to 20 miles on the weekends. I stretch every single morning for 30 minutes TRYING to make these lower back pains that come on at around 12 - 15 miles give or take. I know my cardio and legs will handle the 50K no problem, but I am afraid the lower back will not let me.
What do you all think about an aspirin before I head out or maybe 10 miles in? I will continue to stretch and ride and work on core, but I have this race Oct. 16th. There is no giving up on this. There has got to be something to help me get through this.

The bike is set up good. I am working on my ride posture, don't know what else to ease this lower back pain.

Any advice would be great please.

Thanks

Sid
What kind of riding? What kind of bike? How old are you? Do you do any other kind of exercise? How long has your back been painful?

I'm sure some bike set up help would be in order, low back pain on a bike is not that common, usually it's shoulders, hips, neck.

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Evening Pisgah,

Its the Barnburner I'm doing over at Lake James in October. And yes, I do wear a Leatt 2.0 liter hydration pack. My Intense does not have a bottle holder. What are you thinking? Where you located at? We need to get together and ride.

Sid

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Nurse Ben,

I ride never the jumplines, :), but I like technical single track as I am an old Hare Scramble moto guy for 30 + years. Been riding mtb for about 3 years now. This race upcoming is what I'm told a "short travel bike" course or hardtails. Long travel if thats all you have. Which is me. I have an Intense Tracer I think its 165/150 front to rear. I am 6' 3" 200 lbs nekkid. As you can see in the attached pics, my bars are just slightly lower than the front of my WTB saddle. I just recently tilted the front of the saddle down and moved at just about all the way forward on the rails. That prolonged the back pain onset from at about 6 miles to somewhere around 15 miles. I also did drop the seat post a bit. Still have a decent bend at the knee at the bottom of my pedalstroke. I currently have the Renthal risers on there and have three spacers under the stem as it sits. I do not know what else to do to the bike setup wise to help. I do feel pressure on the shoulders when I ride, but I try to sit up often and give them a rest. I've been working on the posture as well. Take a look ay my crank pics. I think they are 175's.

59 years old and slim. Still riding my KTM 300 XCW once a month. More in the cooler months as well. As far as exercise, I workout at the Y 2 - 3 days a week. Chest, shoulders, tri's and bi's, quads on the leg press and also leg extensions as well as the hammys on reverse leg curls. Start each workout with 20 - 25 min on the spin bike. Avg 100 - 110 rpm for about most of the duration on a medium intensity.

Every morning before work in the work gym, I stretch and do what I know as far as yoga for 30 min. I guess I need to do more core now that I write this all down. Planks kill my back though. I'm open to suggestions for core.

I've been having the lower back pain ever since I started mtb. Shoulders yes, hips no, neck was more before my slight saddle adjustments.

Thanks a ton to all of you who have chimed in.

I am all ears.

Sid

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.