Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back into MTB last year after a 5 year "baby break". I ride a trail into work at least once a week with 29" Specialized Epic. After a while this got boring and I remembered how different that trail felt back in the days with my 26", the 29" just seems to bulldoze over any obstacles. So my idea was to get and older 26 frame put a 27.5" fork and front tire, dropper, wide handle bar and 1x drivetrain.

I found a Titus Motolite and a White Brothers Loop fork (only one with straight 11/8 tube). Wow- that put the excitement back into riding! So much more hoping and weight shifting- tons of fun and scares. Faster is really not always better. Unfortunately, the Motolite frame was too small for me and after going over the front twice I looked for something else. The 5010 seemed to do what I wanted to achieve with the Motolite.

Competitive Cyclist has a sale on the 2018 5010 C frame, I found a deal for a Fox 34 at chainreaction, a xfusion 150mm dropper on amazon ($99!) an alloy 2019 5010 wheelset on craigslist and still had the GX drivetrain from the Motolite.

Just finished the build and had the 1st ride. Wow- this thing goes over everything... but wait- how boring is that?! It really took me a long ride to get the fun factor: keep up the speed and play with it even if you don't have to.

In the end it put a big smile on my face but it is absolutely not the same as the old 26" frame. I think these old frames should have a re-birth, they are a lot of fun just because they are not as good.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel
Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle part Mountain bike Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle Land vehicle
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
I came from a 2005 racer X to the 2016 5010. When I go back to the racer x, I feel like I will knock my teeth out going OTB.

I shared the same feelings of resistance while seeking to upgrade the racer X for years trying pivot 429s bulldozing every bump, then happily returning to the racer X, ecstatic to be tail whipping switchbacks and hopping off small bumps. 5010 has spanned both the anti-endo and tail whips while the racer X collects dust. Its good to have a backup, but i will probably donate to bikes-not-bombs.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
So are you riding the 5010 with a 27.5 front and 26" rear?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the previous Motolite was 26"/ 27.5", it helped getting over stuff while keeping the wheelbase really short. Interesting idea for the 5010, but the bottom bracket would be even lower and it wouldn't make the wheelbase shorter so it's probably not any advantage ... apart from needing to find a 26" 148mm boost wheel.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
No, the previous Motolite was 26"/ 27.5", it helped getting over stuff while keeping the wheelbase really short. Interesting idea for the 5010, but the bottom bracket would be even lower and it wouldn't make the wheelbase shorter so it's probably not any advantage ... apart from needing to find a 26" 148mm boost wheel.
Funny, I had a Motolite as well when I lived in PA. I ended up running a 160mm fork with that bike and that helped in almost every situation. Don't know where you are located but I was in Philly and with a 140mm fork, that bike was always looking to throw me over the bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.