Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still on my (now vintage) Solo C v1, but while I’m saving for a new rig thought I’d finally convert to a 1x. Currently 2x with 33/22 WickWerks paired to 11x36 XT.
Those of you who’ve converted a similar SC (early VPP, non-boost, 5010, Bronson, etc), what was your component selection?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I used a Wolftooth 28T narrow wide chainring, and a Praxis 11x40 cassette. Sram narrow wide chain. Worked pretty good, but not quite as precise shifting. I already had the XT long cage derailleur, but you could get I believe it was called a Goat Link to make the cage work with wider range cassettes. This was back in the day, when these were one of the few options to convert shimano 2x10 to 1x. Probably lots more options now, and maybe a wider range cassettes.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Still on my (now vintage) Solo C v1, but while I'm saving for a new rig thought I'd finally convert to a 1x. Currently 2x with 33/22 WickWerks paired to 11x36 XT.
Those of you who've converted a similar SC (early VPP, non-boost, 5010, Bronson, etc), what was your component selection?
Thanks!
I went right to a Sram Eagle GX on my 5010 C V1. Clean and simple conversion. I also increased travel on the Pike from 130mm to 140mm. Again, a simple change. Other then going to flats, I didn't make any other changes. I gave the bike to my oldest son this season when I bought a new Tallboy and he changed to a wider bar, longer stem, a new saddle, and different grips. More simple changes.

As is, you have a great bike.

·
Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went right to a Sram Eagle GX on my 5010 C V1. Clean and simple conversion. I also increased travel on the Pike from 130mm to 140mm. Again, a simple change. Other then going to flats, I didn't make any other changes. I gave the bike to my oldest son this season when I bought a new Tallboy and he changed to a wider bar, longer stem, a new saddle, and different grips. More simple changes.

As is, you have a great bike.
Thanks Rev! I do love this bike, but I fear I'm getting getting caught up in the "new-bike" hype. That new 5010 looks enticing for sure. In the meantime I'm enjoying the f*ck outa this Solo!
Not to get into a Sram vs Shimano war, but I've always been on Shimano products. I know zip, nada, nothing about SRAM stuff. I'm sure it's fine tho. What is the cassette range & chainring you installed?

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Thanks Rev! I do love this bike, but I fear I'm getting getting caught up in the "new-bike" hype. That new 5010 looks enticing for sure. In the meantime I'm enjoying the f*ck outa this Solo!
Not to get into a Sram vs Shimano war, but I've always been on Shimano products. I know zip, nada, nothing about SRAM stuff. I'm sure it's fine tho. What is the cassette range & chainring you installed?
Since I gave the bike to my older son, It's not here for me to check but the cassette was 50 tooth, I believe. My Tallboy came with 52 teeth and it is quite an improvement where climbing is concerned. I never used Sram before but it works as well as Shimano. Honestly, I would go with Shimano XT brakes though. The Sram GS on my Tallboy certainly work well but I like XT better. My 5010 came with STX brakes and I had no reason to change them. Going from the Shimano STX drivetrain to Sram GS was not a problem.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Since I gave the bike to my older son, It's not here for me to check but the cassette was 50 tooth, I believe. My Tallboy came with 52 teeth and it is quite an improvement where climbing is concerned. I never used Sram before but it works as well as Shimano. Honestly, I would go with Shimano XT brakes though. The Sram GS on my Tallboy certainly work well but I like XT better. My 5010 came with STX brakes and I had no reason to change them. Going from the Shimano STX drivetrain to Sram GS was not a problem.
Oops. The Sram brakes are G2, not GS....

·
chasing simplicity
1,502 Posts
I love this trail bike and will never get rid of it, fits me like a glove, and newer versions I’ve tried don’t. Currently:

XX1 1x12
Next SL cranks, Raceface 32T chainring
XTR 9000 brakeset
Cane Creek DB Coil

·
Registered
986 Posts
With your shimano style freehub body you won’t be able to go to the newest sram or shimano 12 speed cassettes. I think only the lowest end sram one is still in the hg style.

I converted a 2x bike with similar gearing to 1x10 (pre eagle days) and that worked pretty well. Went with a wolftooth chainring and the widest range sram 10sd cassette they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With your shimano style freehub body you won't be able to go to the newest sram or shimano 12 speed cassettes. I think only the lowest end sram one is still in the hg style.

I converted a 2x bike with similar gearing to 1x10 (pre eagle days) and that worked pretty well. Went with a wolftooth chainring and the widest range sram 10sd cassette they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. I'm eyeing the Shimano 11sp cassette (11-51 ) paired with a 30t chainring. That should pretty much replicate my current 2x gearing range plus a super-low bailout gear as I'm not the strongest climber out there. Also the gear spacing is reasonable-no huge jumps.
I think the Deore CS5100-11 cassette is HG compatible.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm eyeing the Shimano 11sp cassette (11-51 ) paired with a 30t chainring. That should pretty much replicate my current 2x gearing range plus a super-low bailout gear as I'm not the strongest climber out there. Also the gear spacing is reasonable-no huge jumps.
I think the Deore CS5100-11 cassette is HG compatible.
I think you're on the right track with the Shimano Deore 11-51 11 speed cassette. That'll allow you to keep your current HG freehub. The other nice thing with that cassette is that other pieces from Shimano can be mixed/matched from different generations. For example, you could use the Deore 11-51 11 speed cassette, a previous gen (e.g. M8000 XT) 11 speed shifter, plus any one of the new 12 speed Shimano rear derailleurs (e.g. M7100 SLX).

Here's a good thread that covers a bunch of different configurations: Shimano M5100 11-51 11 speed Cassette

The other option for one of the new 50T (or more) new cassettes on your current freehub is a SRAM NX groupset, which does not use an XD driver.

As someone else alluded to, most of the other wide range 12 speed groups would require updating your freehub body to either XD or Microspline to accommodate the newer cassettes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If there wasn't such weird parts supply issues, this would be an easier answer, I had GXP cranks so I could use the direct mount chainrings for sram, 28 or 30t depending, I also had 11 spd, and dabbled with sunrace cassettes that were 11-46, they work OK, but not amazing. You just need non boost chain rings, and I think anything else should be ok if I remember right.

·
Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting technical now…chainlines.
My crank is a 2x RF Turbine with WickWerks 33/22 rings. BCD is standard 104/64. For cost savings I’d like to retain this crank & slap a 30t NW chainring on it, probably WolfTooth or One-Up.
Anyway…as my Solo is non-boost, I’m reading (Wolftooth site) that chainstay clearance might be an issue.
Sooooo, those of you who’ve owned early Solo/5010’s, what modification, if any, were involved? Might it be simple as adjusting spacers on the bottom bracket? Or, OneUp has shim/washers for the chainring bolts that they suggested for adjustment of the chainline.
Thanks for all your recommendations!

·
chasing simplicity
1,502 Posts
Getting technical now…chainlines.
My crank is a 2x RF Turbine with WickWerks 33/22 rings. BCD is standard 104/64. For cost savings I'd like to retain this crank & slap a 30t NW chainring on it, probably WolfTooth or One-Up.
Anyway…as my Solo is non-boost, I'm reading (Wolftooth site) that chainstay clearance might be an issue.
Sooooo, those of you who've owned early Solo/5010's, what modification, if any, were involved? Might it be simple as adjusting spacers on the bottom bracket? Or, OneUp has shim/washers for the chainring bolts that they suggested for adjustment of the chainline.
Thanks for all your recommendations!
Just get a non boost offset chainring. Usually a 3mm difference. (Boost is usually 3mm offset, non boost 6mm…I think I have that right…at least that's what it is on SRAM rings). My component specs are above. And just follow bb install instructions.

·
Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All done! Here is the breakdown:
I was able to locate the cassette, Deore CS M5100 (11-51). Also lucky to find the matching rear derailleur Deore RD M5100 and Shimano HG-901-11 XTR chain. Shifter is a XT SL-M8000, so the drivetrain is all (only) 11-speed components.
I know many of you have used 12 speed shifters or derailleurs with zero issues, but my OCD on this conversion was strong, so I chose to stay with "manufacturer's recommendations" (lol...a first for me). Paired with a OneUp 30t NW chainring and bob's your uncle! Setup was ultra-easy, the RD was practically dialed in right out of the box...I appreciate Shimano's "51T line" for the B-screw adjustment.
I was initially kinda' put off by how damn big that cassette looked on my 27.5 wheel...a damn dinner plate! Once it got nice & dirty I got used to it(y)! Also, as expected, the RD hangs fairly close to the ground when in in low gear. I'll just have to choose my line a bit more carefully. Chainline is a surprisingly close 48.5, so the chain is just a few mm from my tire (again, in low). Things could get interesting in the mud.
It shifts perfectly and I definitely don't miss my front derailleur at all. Haven't even made that "phantom left shift" so far.
Hey, I even dropped some weight! It's a sub-30lb bike now (29.8 :ROFLMAO:).

Thanks to everyone from this post, and all the other 1x11 conversion posts that answered my questions! Y'all rock!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.