Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5'8, 200lbs and ride a medium 5010v3c. Looking for something a little more stable and capable on black diamond decsents and long jump lines like Skyline. I ride a mix of everything from fast flowy single track to bike parks to technical punchy desents and climbs. I like the Scout, Patrol and Sentinel, all in AL GX builds. I am leaning towards the Scout GX. Seems like a fun bike like my 5010, but a little more ready to party on the heavier stuff. Any opinions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a Patrol would be a great bike for that type of riding. The Sentinel is more steam roll through chunk and not as playful as the 27.5 bikes. The Scout has a bit more stable geometry than the 5010 but close to the same travel.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2019 patrol and its awesome in the bike park. You could ride a scout on skyline and most trails at snowshoe but just a bit slower and you'll get worn out faster.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
The Scout is in the exact same bike class as a 5010. So if you are looking for something different, I don't think that is what you want to lean towards.

On the other hand, check out my buddies old 5010 that was an enduro shredding machine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies back. Going to take a Patrol for a spin and see how I like it. Hopefully it will at least give me an idea of how Transition bike feel with the SBG thing.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm not familiar with your trails, but in general, I think it's easier to make a bike a bit more capable like the Scout vs being overbiked, IMO.

I'm on a Sentinel, ride a bit of everything too and it's a bit much to be honest. I actually considered getting the Smuggler, but decided to put a 150 fork on the Sentinel and lighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have both a current model aluminum scout and a CC 5010 v3, and even though on paper the bikes are very similar, they ride very different. I think the Scout is fine for a park bike but I don't really like 5010 for park at all. The 5010 is a lot more fun on pedally XC trails over the scout.

It might be partly because the 5010 is much lighter and I prefer heavy feeling bikes for downhill, but still I was shocked by how much more planted and capable the scout feels downhill. The 5010 feels as if it has exactly as much travel as advertised, but the scout feels like it has much more.

Having ridden the Bronson I think the Scout sits between it and the 5010.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wondering if the new SB140 falls in the same class as the 5010/Scout. Haven't seen any direct comparisons in the reviews but all the reviews describe it as super fun/playful and a lot of the same adjectives that describe the 5010/Scout

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 2-mo old '19 Patrol and its (cliche), best trail bike Ive had so far. I havent had many (2014 Process 153, Knolly Warden carbon, 2019 Slash 9.8), but Im a downhiller at heart who pedals once in a while, lol. Its honestly one of the bikes that just feels right. Geddit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.