Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone checked out a 29r up front? Not a newbie to this ran a 26/650b setup on a few bikes "back in the day" but seeing the interest in it lately got me thinking to maybe give it a try:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been running a 44mm offset 120mm 29er Fox 34 on my 5010 for a couple months now and am really loving it! I think having the axles vertically offset allows the bike to roll over obstacles more easily. I also find it much easier to loft the front and it accelerates like crazy out of corners.

Really good set up, it makes the bike much more capable on the steeps without giving up much of anything else.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been running a 44mm offset 120mm 29er Fox 34 on my 5010 for a couple months now and am really loving it! I think having the axles vertically offset allows the bike to roll over obstacles more easily. I also find it much easier to loft the front and it accelerates like crazy out of corners.

Really good set up, it makes the bike much more capable on the steeps without giving up much of anything else.
Sounds good. So that setup probly matches the 130/27.5 geo. Depending on what tires. I have a 140 on the 5010 now so was thinking a 130 44 os 29r which I could use on my v1 Ripley too until I got a new generation 29r.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Got any photos?
Also you running 32 or 34 forks?
Currently building a V1 at the moment and looking at running a 120mm 29er forks.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, that's the problem with reading forums late at night you miss the obvious?*♂

Looks like I've scored a set of Fox 34's so hopefully will have them by the end of the week.
Happens to the best of us. ?

Since starting this thread I decided to go full 29 and picked up a Devinci Django. It's a small, fits me better than the med 5010, so it's back in stock D build trim and for sale. Have a '19 FOX 34 Performance 140mm 27.5/27.5+ fork to sell aswell.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Happens to the best of us. ?

Since starting this thread I decided to go full 29 and picked up a Devinci Django. It's a small, fits me better than the med 5010, so it's back in stock D build trim and for sale. Have a '19 FOX 34 Performance 140mm 27.5/27.5+ fork to sell aswell.
Condition and price for the 34 Perf?

·
Registered
12 Posts
A thing to pay attention to when doing this is that the ST angle gets a whole lot slacker, making pedaling much less comfortable. I had to push my saddle all the way forward on the rails and still felt like I was in a fairly compromised position for seated pedaling.

The other side is that it absolutely rips on the way down, so take your pick!

·
Registered
456 Posts
A thing to pay attention to when doing this is that the ST angle gets a whole lot slacker, making pedaling much less comfortable. I had to push my saddle all the way forward on the rails and still felt like I was in a fairly compromised position for seated pedaling.

The other side is that it absolutely rips on the way down, so take your pick!
9 point8 makes a dropper that can be run with 25mm forward offset if you find you can't get your seat forward enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My friend’s wife is a pro rider. He used to be a pro dirt biker. Apparently moto always has a bigger wheel up front. He suggested she put a 29er up front and she was measurably faster.

I posted a photo of my 5010 with a 160 lyrik up front, hoping for a similar effect. But the magic is really in the wheel size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.