Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a set of new warranty bearings from Jungle UK and the upper link bearings they've supplied are 6900 LLU MAX instead of the normal 7900 RS.

Is this new spec and /or okay? LLU seals I can understand as being an improvement but as I understand it the 6nnn series bearings are radial and 7nnn are angular contact. Though 'MAX' I believe is specific to pivots. Just wondering if radial is okay.

I'll ping Jungle an email but it's weekend so they'll be shut and fancy doing the bearings over the weekend. Not vital though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
To my knowledge, you cannot use radial bearings without also using the spacer that is supposed to sit between the two radial bearings so that no axial loads are transfered through the balls of the radial bearings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jungle said SC moved to AC bearings and the radial are older so probably was sent old bearing pack. They said it should be fine but have sent the correct ones anyway.

Though interestingly SC say newer models use radial bearings now. Wonder if they got mixed up and sent the newer pack by mistake. Anyway, I've got both sets now and the lower link bearings are the same in both packs.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/f...placement_-_my17_and_my18_-_rev_b_-_final.pdf

"MY17 bike models have angular contact bearings (bearing number begins with a 7). MY18 bike models have radial bearings (bearing number begins with a 6). Make sure to follow the procedure for your bike model and model year. If you aren't sure how to identify your bike model and model year, consult your bicycle dealer. "

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.