Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Huckin' trails
6,051 Posts
I think you should consider what type of riding you want (XC, AM, FR, DH?) and then check in the last years models specials or classified... any of the riding type can fit the budget, but I think that a $500, a lot of choices exist and about 3/4 of them are crappy bikes... so get your style or get a 3" XC bike, like a Jamis and then upgrade later on...

David

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The Windsor Cliff 4900 looks pretty sweet. ;)

Seriously, though - I think it's all about used at that price, unless you luck into a '10 bike still on the floor. Phone around to your local shops and see if anyone carries used, or has a closeout for you. They can at least ballpark your size based on your height, enough that it's worth taking a look at a bike.

The GT suggested above is not a bad option.

If you can stretch your budget to a Redline D 440, at least they don't have a POS fork stuck to the front like most inexpensive bikes.

·
Huckin' trails
6,051 Posts
I got my $1 600 Freeride for $650 in the classified... It was a 2006 model, like new and the guy had back problems, so he did not use it much... I bought it a year ago and I'm pretty happy with it.

Check local classified, you can get good deal quite often. If you have the money ready.

David

·
Registered
581 Posts
I heard Trek 820s were pretty sweet!!!!!!!

But seriously the GT Avalanche is not a bad pick. Before finding the Windsor I was seriously considering buying my son a 2010 Avalanche that our LBS had marked down to $440 since my son loved the red/white paint and I figured that even though the components are inferior to a similiar priced BD bike the resale would probably be better because of the name recognition. Then I found the 2010 Windsor and the component spec was so far ahead of the GT and $60 cheaper to boot and I just couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think your best bet would be a Giant Revel 1 - average retail price is $510...gotta figure in a little extra for tax:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/revel.1.black.red/7509/44108/

If that turns out to be a little above budget after the tax, consider the Revel 2 - average retail is $390:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/revel.2.black.blue/7509/44109/

Only problem with the Revel 2 and most other bikes under $500 is that they come with a 7 speed freewheel hub, which is weaker than 8 speed and above, but if you aren't going to be doing any jumping, that won't effect you. Here are some other options in that category for under $500:

The Trek 3700 Disc for $499:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/3_series/3700_disc/#

The Trek (Gary Fisher) Tarpon at $460 will be similar to the 3700 in some ways, but it will handle better off road. It doesn't come with disc brakes, but the lower end disc brakes are crap anyway, and honestly, V-brakes work better in most conditions (when you are not riding in rain or mud). The 3700 will be a little more comfortable for longer rides, but the Tarpon has awesome off road riding geometry:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/g2_hardtails/tarpon/#

There is also the Specialized Hardrock for $420:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52708&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

Anyway, these are some options. Just go to your local bike stores and try a bunch out, and pick the one out that feels best. While the specs won't be as nice as the Windsor 4900, you will get the service of a bike store, you will have a NAME BRAND BIKE to show off to your friends, and you can also make upgrades over time as your budget allows. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I'm looking at the recommendations, how far off is the LBS average pricing vs MSRP?

ETA: Also, the wife will not be jumping, and, most likely I won't either until I gain experience. The 13 year old boy has taken over the 820, lol.

So, I'm looking for me and the wife, and something for the 10 year old girl. Honestly, our trail riding will be in local and state parks on easy trails, and our road riding will be in our neighborhood. The wife most likely not ever be tearing it up off road. She's coming off foot surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from her sole of her foot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:thumbsup: for the Giant Revel line if your LBS deals with them. Solid frame, good components for the price range, all around great entry level bike. Typically an LBS will undercut the MSRP by 10% or so (that's what I got on my Revel 0), with the added benefit of free maintenance/tuneups for a period (usually the first year). They will also usually include added discounts on additional accessories or parts upgrades. If you're planning on getting multiple bikes I'm sure you'd get an even better deal. Any LBS has the flexibility to haggle somewhat. Good luck with your search.

Edit: Read your "bike inferiority" thread after my original reply....if you're going to re-order the 4900 from BD you can't go wrong with that either really. Bottom line, like others have already said....ride everything and anything if you can, and the best bike for you is the one you like riding the most regardless of what it says on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I'm looking at the recommendations, how far off is the LBS average pricing vs MSRP?

ETA: Also, the wife will not be jumping, and, most likely I won't either until I gain experience. The 13 year old boy has taken over the 820, lol.

So, I'm looking for me and the wife, and something for the 10 year old girl. Honestly, our trail riding will be in local and state parks on easy trails, and our road riding will be in our neighborhood. The wife most likely not ever be tearing it up off road. She's coming off foot surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from her sole of her foot.
Usually zero dollars. If you talk to them or get them itching to sell you something they will knock off 20-50 dollars. The Trek dealers only get a few of those per year so the odds are they will use it to get someone to buy a 1k bike not a 400 dollar one.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Only problem with the Revel 2 and most other bikes under $500 is that they come with a 7 speed freewheel hub, which is weaker than 8 speed and above, but if you aren't going to be doing any jumping, that won't effect you.
I think it's stupid to spend money on a bike with a freewheel. Mountain biking means the wheels are not always on the ground, and even road riders had problems with hubs for 7-speed freewheels. Specialized recently decided they weren't going to use these on mountain bikes anymore, a decision I very much respect. So, for me, the bottom-barrel bike that I'd still consider a worthwhile starter MTB is the base-model Hardrock. It still has the same low-spec components as every other MTB at that price range, but at least it doesn't have a bunch of unsupported axle on the driveside of the rear hub.

I really wish that some of the major companies would decide to revisit rigid forks for their entry bikes. IMO, a rigid bike with a 3x8 drivetrain and V-brakes (and disc tabs, maybe even disc hubs) would be a great package for someone who wants to get into the sport and doesn't make much money, or is carrying a lot of debt and expenses.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My GT Outpost cost me $300. It was a "last-year" model so they gave me a sale price. Lasted me for 3 years on local trails, gravel roads, and roads in general. Great bike, no complaints, and I still use it from time to time. With a fork and brake upgrade I would probably switch back to it instead of my current bike. :p

I think they replaced the Outpost with the Avalanche though. The frames look very similar.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts