Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Architect
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the 50 year trail yesterday. It’s been a number of years since I've ridden and I've never really ridden a real mountain bike trail.
I absolutely loved the single track in this area. Its a great ride for someone just starting to ride again. The Chutes were awesome! :thumbsup: There were tons of riders in the area.

I do have a few questions though.

Yielding: I understand the whole Yielding scenario when it comes to Horses and hikers. We yield. But what about bike to bike? Is it the downhill rider yields? I just tried to Yield no mater what.

Bike maintaince: My chain is covered in sand. I'm not sure if the LBS who built my rig left too much grease on it or what. I tried to wipe it clean, but its good and stuck. So, before I strip it and start over with lube what are your thoughts?

Use a different lube? Let it be? Clean and lube after each ride?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
archjake said:
Yielding: I understand the whole Yielding scenario when it comes to Horses and hikers. We yield. But what about bike to bike? Is it the downhill rider yields? I just tried to Yield no mater what. ?
yes the Dh rider should yield to the up hill rider. But if you're climbing and need a breather or are in a better/safer position to yeild then there is no reason you shouldn't stop and let the DHer pass.

archjake said:
Bike maintaince: My chain is covered in sand. I'm not sure if the LBS who built my rig left too much grease on it or what. I tried to wipe it clean, but its good and stuck. So, before I strip it and start over with lube what are your thoughts?

Use a different lube? Let it be? Clean and lube after each ride?
new chains come with a really sticky grease type lube. you should always clean that off with a degreaser then apply the lube of your choice. work the chain, then wipe off the excess. a good tip is to lube your chain after a ride. that way it's ready for the next ride and not still wet, which attracts more grit.
 
G

·
I rode a good three hours on the 50 mile trail and the shoots yesterday afternoon also. I have to admit that the "right of way" deal is pretty difficult to adhere since the trail is single track and freakin fast all over.

The uphiller has the unofficial right of way on a trail unless there are more people coming down than are going up. I believe it's more a matter of etiquette than anything else.

Simple Green is great on drivetrain parts, but it WILL strip your clear coat over a short time. I used it on my Trek road bike over two years and now can pull off the stickers that used to be covered by the clear coat. Oh well, live and learn. Homedepot has the gallon bottle for $8 or 9$.

Thanks to the two locals that led me around for two hours on a race fast maze of a bike ride!!! I'm usually up once a month to visit family off of Tangerine and Verch in Oro Valley so send me a PM and we'll hook up again soon. One of you said you lurked on mtbr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,747 Posts
NardoSS said:
The uphiller has the unofficial right of way on a trail unless there are more people coming down than are going up. I believe it's more a matter of etiquette than anything else.

Personally, I don't think it matters how many people are in the DH train - the climber
has the right of way. When I'm descending and encounter a climber, I always yield. I
mean face it, it's way easier for the DH'er to get rolling again after a yield/stop.
If a climber is forced to stop, getting clipped in and moving on the climb again can be
very difficult, if not impossible. Sometimes the climb isn't cleaned if all momentum is
lost.

That whole Golder Ranch area is a wonderful and beautiful playground.
 

·
Architect
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evil Patrick said:
Personally, I don't think it matters how many people are in the DH train - the climber
has the right of way. When I'm descending and encounter a climber, I always yield. I
mean face it, it's way easier for the DH'er to get rolling again after a yield/stop.
If a climber is forced to stop, getting clipped in and moving on the climb again can be
very difficult, if not impossible. Sometimes the climb isn't cleaned if all momentum is
lost.

That whole Golder Ranch area is a wonderful and beautiful playground.
Hey Evil Patrick,

Doesn't quite sound like you're living up to your evil name. We may want to take another look at another nic.

Thanks guys for the info.

Happy riding!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top