Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running 28t ring x 11-46t Shimano cassette and not unhappy with shifting or range. But I do lots of climbing and if I can get an even lower gear without losing top end, I'll take it.

A year or so ago Sunrace offered an 11x50t cassette and I thought, "Why not?" so ordered one and slapped it on. It came with a Goatlink-type thingamabob that didn't fit, no way, even with some judicious filing. So I threw the linky thing away and found that my bike shifted into the 50t cog even without the misfit link. Poorly, but it did make the shift.

Over the next few months my shifting got progressively worse until eventually I discovered my rear derailleur had failed after being repeatedly stressed beyond its limit. Oops.

Replaced the broken derailleur and put the 11-46 cassette back on... and here I am.

I've still got the 11-50t cassette, it's in perfect shape. Now I'm wondering... is there a way to make the 50t cassette work with my system? I running a Shimano 11-spd XT long cage derailleur.

Goatlink 11? Wolftooth's compatibility chart doesn't seem to indicate their 11 speed Goatlink is compatible with my situation -- the Goatlink 11 only seems to help get people get to a 46t cog max. This seems weird to me because my stock Shimano system already handles a 46t cog just fine. Why would anyone install a Goatlink 11 if Shimano already offers an 11-speed 46t capable derailleur?
Wolftooth Goatlink 11

Bottom line: I'd like to put the 50t cassette back on if there's a good clean way to do it. Anybody know of one? Thanks.
=sParty

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,247 Posts
Use a M9100,M8100 or M7100 SGS derailleur. They have the same pull ratio as the 11 speed Shimano do.

·
Is dang happy!
1,378 Posts
I found a 7100 SLX for $55 online and was surprised the new 12 speed derailleurs were somewhat affordable, not much more than 11 speed. The 11-50 SunraceMX80 is $73 on the bay so one could build a "good shifting" 1X drivetrain fairly cheap.
Some people were able to make the old 11 speed derailleurs work with a 11-50 cassette but judging from your experience it is best not to push it.

I was debating whether to upgrade to 12speed or stick with 11 and decided to keep it SpinalTap. :band: I would not gain any real gearing advantage with a full 12 speed setup without new wheels/freehub.

·
Trail Rider
1,388 Posts
Weird. I've been using the 11-50 Sunrace with a Shimano GS XT derailleur with no issues. I've also used it with the SGS (long cage) XT in the past. It shifts fine with either. No goat link.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Been there done that. So the m8000 11s works great with the goatslink on the sunrace 11-50. provided you get a good sunrace cassette.

Just upgraded to the m7100 and it made shifting much cleaner than the m8000 with goatslink which required some tuning. 7100 is almost plug n play

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shimano SLX M7100SGS derailleur ordered. Eager to give this a whirl. Thanks much, y’all.
=sParty

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huckleberry hound, thanks again. The Shimano 12-spd derailleur works perfectly with my 11-spd cassette. Much appreciated.
=sParty

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,247 Posts
I'm glad it worked out. I've already decided that if anything happens to my derailleur that I'll be replacing it with the M7100, cause you never know, upgrades happen. Hope will be coming out with their microspline driver after the first of the year.

·
XC iconoclast
2,005 Posts
If you need just a bit of extra range, they have 11-52t cassettes now. The 'expensive' one is 380 grams for $115-160, and the cheap one is 710 grams for $65. I have both but have not installed the cheap one yet so I don't know how it will hold up long-term. The expensive, lighter one is great. But probably way overkill for 28t.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you need just a bit of extra range, they have 11-52t cassettes now. The 'expensive' one is 380 grams for $115-160, and the cheap one is 710 grams for $65. I have both but have not installed the cheap one yet so I don't know how it will hold up long-term. The expensive, lighter one is great. But probably way overkill for 28t.
Who's they, do you mean ZTTO?
I've read not-so-great reviews/experiences with those cassettes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts