Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I met up with Lubes and PBR Me! at 4:30am for approx 53 miles from Kenosha Pass to Breckenridge to Como. S.S. Spike and his crew were throwing down 85 miles adding an additional 35 miles I didn't think my legs were ready for.

We got a car dropped in Como and were on the Colorado Trail by 6:20

PBR being chased by the morning sun

Lubes full of smiles

PBR taking a serious approach to the views

Still a few small snow drifts on the east side of Georgia Pass at treeline

Lubes cranking up to Georgia Pass

PBR almost to Georgia Pass

On over to the Breck side of Georgia Pass

Where probably two dozen snow drifts awaited our tracks

A good ol death march isn't quite right without a little drinkin involved

A few marshes were to be hiked

and lots of route finding

Sometimes we even hung our bikes out to dry

and rode tons of old flume like this

and this

Might be getting familiar now for those of you who have been training on the Fire Cracker Course

We started running into all sorts of folks at this point including Kerkove, Sonya, DJ Birtch, Rebecca Toma wiki wiki, and several others who I didn't recognize.

PBR at Little French Gulch

Sally Barber Mine

going down

down

down into Breckenridge for some refreshments from the local convenient mart

Then a climb back up Boreas Pass, course we took all the singletrack options to go up

Baker's Tank

A rest stop at the top of the pass

We finished the day on an awesome singletrack descent off the pass. Some where around 53 miles and 7800 ft of climbing. Sweet!

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
Spike FeSSt!!!!!!!!!! 09!

First of all apologies to Nick! Glad you had a good ride anyway!! Spike thank you for throwin this! Mucho appreciated:thumbsup:

On to the gallery:

Gettin an early start
Nature Road Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle

mGe
Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Plant Mountain bike Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Lubes on the final push to lunch rock(breakfast snack in our case)
Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Helmet Mountain bike

Of course the views sucked
Mountainous landforms Hill Mountain Mountain range Forest

First patches of snow
Natural environment Bicycle wheel Plant Bicycle frame Mountain bike

Jeremy you almost cleaned it!
Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mountain bike Spoke

Lubes found it easier just to toss it over!
Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Helmet

Of course a summit toast!
Beverage can Aluminum can Beer Drink Hand

Beauty everywhere
Natural environment Plant Plant community Tree Forest

Attachments

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
still uploading the old fashioned way

mGe displayin some skill on the skree
Slope Trail Adventure Forest Wilderness

Treats on the way to sally barber
Body of water Nature Vegetation Natural landscape Natural environment

Wood Cloud Monochrome Monochrome photography Black-and-white

Almost to top of boreas
Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Found Mateo roamin around! Thought he was delivering us beer but just a message to say its all down hill from here, except for that one section he muttered under his breath! :D
Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Helmet Bicycle helmet Bicycle handlebar

Thanks again Spike and thanks for the Stranny's at camp:thumbsup: You guys killed the 85 miler way to go! Good to see all you guys again! Totally happy with the pace we rode enjoyin it all and taking in the whole route!! That coke never tasted so good at the gas station!!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
Nice fella's! I never thought of going on to como. Is there single track between boreas and como?

Gold Dust trail. Upper end takes off about 1/4 mile below the top of the pass. Bottom end is in Como. Part of loop 3 in the B100 and the last stage of the Breck epic.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
s.s. spike said:
Glad you guys had a good time.T'was a great weekend indeed! No rain? I still can't believe it.
Thanks for setting it up. It truly T'was a great weekend.:thumbsup: I plan on coming back for some retribution. Somehow I only drank 2 liters of fluids and and one liter of that was in the last 20 miles. What was I thinking? No wonder I started bonking out on Boreas!:madman:

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I'm Guessing you guys took a left on the ditch that is about 2/3 of the way down the CT then followed it to the marsh. You don't have to do that. You can hop off that ditch at the first clearing that you come to, descend it to the South Fork of the Swan jeep road then do a short, but steep climb back to the Great Flume (the trail with the flume trestle in your photos).

Plus, it's probably best for mountain bikers to not be schlepping through wetlands. not to mention that hiking through that thing is not much fun, it's full of holes that the miners dug to support the old flume supports. I damn near broke my leg falling into one of them the one time I hiked across it.

Great epic ride though. Might have been best to have saved it for when things are a bit drier but as long as you where practicing good mud season etiquette probably no biggie.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,444 Posts
IndecentExposure said:
MountainGoat,
Any way I can buy you a beer for some of that maping beta?

BTW, I'm thinking of doing Kenosha to Vail in one day. 20k ft of climbing, 60 miles. Any interest?
You've been thinking about that ride for a bunch of years now... is this the year to make it happen?

·
Rigid in Evergreen
1,538 Posts
I'm up for some epics this summer... as much fun as spending the weekend in Glenwood Springs and Basalt was, I would have loved to have done that Kenosha to Como ride.

I probably need a couple slightly less epic rides before doing 60m/+20k though :)

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
We should probably keep this thread up towards the top for a little longer.
Nice ride guys!
How about a report from Spike or BBD or anyone else that did the 85 miler!

I will be doing something big up there in Summit Co either Sunday or Monday. Should Kenosha/Georgia/Breck be part of it? Or do all the drifts take away too much of the fun? There is plenty around there to plan a different route if you think that's the case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.