Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used an X/Y tool to check my position on my last 29er to emulate the fit on my new Ripley. I got really used to the 50 mm stem on my last bike - a Yelli Screamy and was cringing about having to use a longer stem on the Ripley, however the x/y tool suggested 30 mm of spacers and the same stem (the Ripley is 2 full degrees steeper HA, another concern of mine). Looks ridiculous but I suppose it's a starting point. I've seen or heard of no one using such a short stem on this particular bike. I'm not concerned about climbing, I've adapted to that, but worrying about the handling now in other situations, not like it's a hard fix but just wanted to see if any one else was setting the bike up a little more aggressively. I'm thinking I'm going to have to adapt once again to a different idea. Today's shake down ride will tell!

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
How tall are you and what frame size are you going for? From what I've read the longer stem length is favored to get some weight over the front end. Probably because of the short chainstays? Anyhow, the 50 mm might make it harder to throw the bike hard into corners and also floppy feeling on climbs.

If your concerned about HA use an angleset. Bike felt balanced to me with a 140mm fork and standard headset. Subscribed as I'm about to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I say give it a try. I've ridden a 50mm stem for the past 6 years on my 'xc' bikes which were an HD and a nomad. I bought my Ripley last fall and threw on a 70mm, but my plan is to go down to a 60, and maybe even a 50 this spring.

It depends on what you are used to riding id say, and how you are used to the bike handling. If you are trying to get rowdy the short stem is the way to go, for me at least it's a lot easier to jam into fast corners on descents where you are out of the saddle with a shorter stem. The bike reacts quicker. It does feel a bit more awkward in most xc situations, but nothing you cant adjust to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts