Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Some mtn. bikes bought at the big box stores (not saying yours was) say right on the them

"Not For Offroad Use!" With a 50mm fork I would have to say yours might be in that catagory.

A 100mm fork would get you in over your head with that frame...probably break the frame at the head tube! :nono:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 97 rock hopper that came with a 50mm fork. A couple of years ago I u
Graded to a marlzoochi ms pro, a 100mm fork. The geometry changed but was still very rideable. Ymmv. I'm not the most aggressive rider so I don't think I was stressing the head tube.

If you have a recent bike with 50mm travel fork, I suspect it' maybe a department store special, in that case I would not try the upgrade but instead save for a quality rig instead.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It would cause handling issues as well as stress the frame in ways it is not designed for, most likely causing it to crack and eventually fail completely. Bikepedia shows your bike costing 250 bucks brand new, So I would save your money and get an entry level mountain bike that comes stock with a 100mm fork and a frame and components that are made more for off road riding.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Even if your bike frame does not crack, break, or otherwise self destruct from too much fork up front, you'd still be wasting money on upgrading a bargain bicycle. It's a vicious cycle - you start with a fork, and you'll end up upgrading every other component. Trust me, and pretty much everyone else this forum, when we say just buy a new bike.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Just not worth doing as everyone else has already said. You're trying to make this bike into something it was never meant to be. Always easier to get something a little burlier and overengineered (as long as the budget allows) then you currently need than throw hard-earned coin at a cheap ride with a noodle fork.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.