Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I've been tempted by the ultra-endurance idea for a while now, and somewhat decided early in the season that I was going to do one by the end of this year. I'm looking at doing the Ultra 100 in Beaver Creek on August 19, but am worried about whether or not I can do it with only around 50 days left until the race. I am a strong rider, who races XC on a fairly regular basis and does around 100 mountain miles a week. However, I've never done anything longer than about 5.5 hours which is the main thing that is holding me back.

My main question is, whether it is a wise desicion to sign up for a race that is relatively so close, even though I am a strong regular rider? Is a month and a half of training for an untra-endurance race way too little for someone with my "skillz y0", or would I *most likely* end up being okay? Thanks in advance!
Cheers
-Jeff

EDIT: I'm looking to do the 100k version of the race instead of the 100miler.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think if your young enough under 35 you have a better chance of finishing than the older riders. There are a lot of DNF's in this race. 100 miles of mountain riding is plenty if you are working hills. Hopefully in that 100 miles you have 15kto 20k feet of climbing. I think you need to set a minimum target of averaging 3000 feet of climbing a day for 5 to 6 days a week. I would also try to get some 60-70 mile road rides in.
During the race I think you need to eat early and often. I have never raced much more than 2 hours but I have seen the best riders totally bonk after 2 hours when their energy reserves go. If you havent done your hill work start now and you should be ok. 9000 feet is a lot but you will have 8-10 hours or so to do it.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
borregokid said:
I think if your young enough under 35 you have a better chance of finishing than the older riders.
That certainly is an interesting statement. I am wondering if you have ever seen how old the average hundie/endurance race participant is. There are a crapload of older racers in these events and they certainly snag quite a few spots on the podium. It would seem that often times older riders have a better understanding of how their bodies are going to react under the strain. I think Tinker (over 40 now) would have a pretty good shot at finishing 100k.
I am not trying to start an arguement. I am just trying to let Magish no that age shouldn't be a factor in his success. Ride a comfortable pace and pay close attention to proper hydration and nutrition and you'll be just fine. There are some excellent tips on how to fuel your body for the long haul here:
http://www.ride424.com/training/training.php

Teamdicky- age 37/ getting stronger and gaining knowledge every year.

Enjoy.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Do the hundy!

Magish said:
Hey everybody,
I've been tempted by the ultra-endurance idea for a while now, and somewhat decided early in the season that I was going to do one by the end of this year. I'm looking at doing the Ultra 100 in Beaver Creek on August 19, but am worried about whether or not I can do it with only around 50 days left until the race. I am a strong rider, who races XC on a fairly regular basis and does around 100 mountain miles a week. However, I've never done anything longer than about 5.5 hours which is the main thing that is holding me back.

My main question is, whether it is a wise desicion to sign up for a race that is relatively so close, even though I am a strong regular rider? Is a month and a half of training for an untra-endurance race way too little for someone with my "skillz y0", or would I *most likely* end up being okay? Thanks in advance!
Cheers
-Jeff

EDIT: I'm looking to do the 100k version of the race instead of the 100miler.
You've got the goods, go for it. Just know beforehand that addiction is likely to follow :)

The most important part of your prep is pacing and nutrition. Research nutrition (Dicky's link below is good), make a pacing plan for an 8 hour ride, then 4-5 weeks out give it a whirl. Practice pacing and hydration exactly as you would in the race. 2 weeks later, try it again, refining with knowledge gained from the first go-round.

Perhaps it was Cyclingnews...but I read a Chris Eatough interview awhile back that said he basically didn't train for endurance stuff at all, just focused on his normal NORBA routine. Me *might* throw in a 7 hour ride before a long event to dial in pacing & nutrition, but that's about it.

There's no mystery to riding long, just smiles.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Good comments so far. I like to get some longer rides in before a big race, but have had great success (for me) by doing a lot of riding that was less than 3 hours. If you are able to go out and ride for 4-6 hours on dirt with a fair amount of climbing I think you will be able to pace yourself for 10-12 hours of a 100 mile race. Marathon runners don't do 26 mile runs to prepare. It is a series of shorter runs building up to 70% or so of the race distance.

Go for it! As hairballdh said, be prepared for a healthy addiction! Good luck.

·
Registered
744 Posts
borregokid said:
I think if your young enough under 35 you have a better chance of finishing than the older riders.
I think if you are over 30 you have a better chance of doing well and finishing. Looking at the distribution of most 100 mile races usually has the top 5% in the late 20's and the remainder of the top 50% is usually in the 30's with a sprinkling of folks in the 40's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can do this! It is a pile of fun. You have plenty of time to prepare. I don't know where you live but altitude is the usual killer on this race. Try to do some long (5+ hour ) rides at altitude if you can,on a weekend or day off but just once a week. The rest of the time just do some speed work and tempo climbing to figure out a sustainable pace for your self. Don't go out too hard and blow up. Eat regularly on the bike keep to a schedule. I like a shot of gel every 1/2 hour, bar every hour drink every 15 min. whatever seems to work well for you. Taper on the last week before just 2 easy rides on tues. and thurs. Get up early and eat at least 2 hours before the start time. Take a long hot shower to warm up before lining up. Next year do the 100 miler. Maybe I'll see you there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks everybody for the comments! Doing the 100k this year, and the 100miler next year was the plan, and I'm very encouraged by these comments. I think I'm going to register tongith so I can get my free jersey :D.

The altitude is going to take a bit of work, even though I already live in Denver at ~6000ft. Luckily I have a place outside of Fairplay, CO at about 10,500ft, so training up there should help a lot.

Nutrition is going to be the hardest part for me, I already know. I've never really had a "race food" schedule, and its going to take a bit of getting used to. However those links provided above really are going to help me out!
Cheers
-Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.