Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the $330 290g Syncros Hixon SL IC bar flips your trigger, consider spending 660% less on a $50 and even lighter 235g factory-direct version.

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Line Bicycle part

Link:
AliExpress (multiple listings)
Weight: 235g (80mm stem, 680mm width)
Effective Stem Length: 80/90/100/110mm
Rise: -17-degree
Width:
660/680/700/720/740/760/780/800mm
Backsweep: -9[SUP]o[/SUP]
Stack: 40mm
Material: Toray 800
Color: 3K weave in glossy or matte, or custom paint

I mounted this bar in 80mm/680mm to my hardtail 29er and will be testing it throughout the season. It looks awesome and first ride impressions are all good!

The finish is very sleek. I went for the glossy 3K offering and have no regrets.

Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain Black

The weight is about as light as can be expected from the Chiner market. 235g for my 80mm/680mm bar rivals the equivalent 140g BXT 680mm carbon handlebar and 90g 80mm Kalloy stem combo I also ride.

If you're going integrated with this bar you'll have to be comfortable with -17-degree rise. There also are no integrated Chiner bars with short effective stem lengths like the Syncros Hixon, but conversely you can get much longer stem lengths than other integrated offerings on the market.

Going integrated can be scary, since you're eliminating bar roll (and effective backsweep) and won't be able to swap out different stem lengths. I have always ridden a -17-degree rise 80mm stem combo, so I knew this was something that would work for me. I overlaid my -17[SUP]o[/SUP] 90mm Kalloy Uno stem with a cut 700mm (~680mm) Tideace carbon bar with -6[SUP]o[/SUP] backsweep. There is a clear difference in backsweep, 9[SUP]o[/SUP] as advertised looks correct. This angle feels noticeably different, but in a good way. For me, it reduces thumb fatigue by allowing my thumbs to wrap around the bar at a more natural angle.

Monochrome Black Monochrome photography Tints and shades Symbol

There are two bolts for attaching a front GPS mount, but I haven't used these (and don't plan to) since I go OTB often enough that I don't want to destroy my precious GPS.

Bicycle part Wood Brown Hardwood Bicycle saddle

A short-term solution for mounting my GPS was to install the base on the limited amount of straight tube near the brake levers, but in the long-term I'll mount the GPS onto the top cap.

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

The stack height of the stem is 40mm, by my best measurement, almost exactly the same height as my Kalloy Uno stem. The beefy construction at the steerer tube clamp means you'll need to tighten the bolts a little more than your average stem to achieve the same clamp strength.

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Azure

As a huge disclaimer, I can't find any evidence that these bars have been tested to safety standards. Based on my experience, however I can say is that these bars are rock solid and very stiff. I have owned nearly a full dozen Chiner bars from different brands and cracked three, but this one is about as stiff as I have ever had, and I mean that in a good way as it still offers a comfortable ride. That said, this isn't a Syncros or a Syntace bar, and there is no manufacturer warranty offered, but you're also paying much, much less.

Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle stem

Pros:

• Lightweight and stiff construction
  • Affordable price tag
  • Dialed geometry

Cons:

• Integration means no bar roll
  • No long straight tubes for mounting stuff
  • Not offered in effective stem lengths <80mm

Blue Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle part

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excuse the stupid question, would flipping the bar for a + rise result in wonky bar angles? I'ts impossible to discern from the limited number of photos. TIA.
No, you can't flip this bar. First off it would look strange, but more importantly the sweep would go off at a funky angle and the resulting position would be weird.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Aside from the novelty aspect, what's the advantage over your other setup which weighs the same, but if far more configurable? Just for giggles? Not busting on you, but if it doesn't save a bunch of weight, I don't see the point beyond a different aesthetic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

·
Bikes in jeans
2,379 Posts
WTF does "factory-direct" mean?

Personally if they can't properly spell size (siez) in their listing, that's a deal breaker for me, full stop.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aside from the novelty aspect, what's the advantage over your other setup which weighs the same, but if far more configurable? Just for giggles? Not busting on you, but if it doesn't save a bunch of weight, I don't see the point beyond a different aesthetic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
No loose stem/handlebar bolts ever, no bar roll, cleaner looks. I like it, it's a looker. Admittedly it's a conversation-starter, for those that like attention :) That's for giggles, I guess.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WTF does "factory-direct" mean?

Personally if they can't properly spell size (siez) in their listing, that's a deal breaker for me, full stop.
It means that the product is shipping to you from the manufacturing facility, or somewhere in the immediate vicinity of the site of production.

If English isn't your first language, I'm not going to criticize you for a typo. A lot of these folks are working on razor-thin profits and have no resources to hire professional translators or proofreaders. I'd rather pay them $50 than waste my money sponsoring Syncros's marketing team, unless I'm supporting local and happen to have disposable income.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,212 Posts
Wish this had a lower stack and larger negative angle.

Based on your pictures I don’t think I’d be able to get the bars low enough to match my current position (77mm Syntace FlatForce with 740mm flat bar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
Yes, I find no need to replace a perfectly functional 9 y.o. mountain bike just to run a short stem to be stylish.
Has nothing to do with style and everything to do with comfort. But I think having that conversation with people whom want a -17* stem with 80mm+ extension might be fruitless.

Carry on.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
Longer stems increase reach, a crucial determinant of proper bike fit. Riders with short inseams and long torsos need long stems. Riders on short bikes may want long stems.
Well aware of what and why. Also aware that bikes can be designed so that the handling isn't all mucked up with a long stem.

And also aware that many people haven't gotten this memo, and prefer their mountain bikes to feel like their road bikes.

Which is their prerogative. And also lunacy.

Carry on.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well aware of what and why. Also aware that bikes can be designed so that the handling isn't all mucked up with a long stem.

And also aware that many people haven't gotten this memo, and prefer their mountain bikes to feel like their road bikes.

Which is their prerogative. And also lunacy.

Carry on.
Neither will a bike company take prerogative to design frames in dozens of sizes that fit everyone's geometry. That would be financial lunacy.

But I digress. Either this bar is for you or not for you, I just presented the facts for those who may be interested.

·
Registered
501 Posts
These might be a great replacement for my carbon Beargrease. I was thinking of moving from alloy to carbon for cold weather improvements. The stock stem is also short and heavy. If I get drop the weight, gain carbon bars and for a low prices, seems like a good application for these bars. It's not like I'm rallying the Beargrease hard in the winter anyways. Likely a safe substitute.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These might be a great replacement for my carbon Beargrease. I was thinking of moving from alloy to carbon for cold weather improvements. The stock stem is also short and heavy. If I get drop the weight, gain carbon bars and for a low prices, seems like a good application for these bars. It's not like I'm rallying the Beargrease hard in the winter anyways. Likely a safe substitute.
Yeah as long as you like this kind of geometry on a fat bike that you aren't rallying hard on. Typically a -17 degree stem would be something on a race bike, while a fat bike I might even personally run 7 degree rise. I'd also consider Kalloy stems on eBay and your bar of choice from the budget weight weenies thread. That would drop just as much weight at the same cost.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yeah as long as you like this kind of geometry on a fat bike that you aren't rallying hard on. Typically a -17 degree stem would be something on a race bike, while a fat bike I might even personally run 7 degree rise. I'd also consider Kalloy stems on eBay and your bar of choice from the budget weight weenies thread. That would drop just as much weight at the same cost.
So much for my reading comprehension.... :) I quickly scanned this morning after reading it yesterday. Was thinking this was a small positive rise. I should have slowed down as it is obvious in photos

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.