Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kind of a re post of a recent one, but a little more specific and hopefully not so many unrealistic expectations...looking for a place to move in the next five years. lived in a very small town in colorado for 10 years and now denver for 5...don't want to go back to super small but still want some luxuries, so 50-100k people or so
1. Western US
2. Cannot be in NW, too rainy for me
3. Somewhat affordable houses (teacher)
4. Great Mountain Biking (really great preferred)
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
2. Cannot be in NW, too rainy for me
Remeber it's only the West side of the Cascades that's rainly. A strip about 100 miles wide that runs down the west coast. The whole of eastern and central WA and OR is high desert, or four season climate ( Bend, Wenatchee, Spokane Couer d'Alene, Boise)

What does affordable housing look like to you in terms of average square footage, neighborhood and price?

formica
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Pocatello

billybobzia said:
kind of a re post of a recent one, but a little more specific and hopefully not so many unrealistic expectations...looking for a place to move in the next five years. lived in a very small town in colorado for 10 years and now denver for 5...don't want to go back to super small but still want some luxuries, so 50-100k people or so
1. Western US
2. Cannot be in NW, too rainy for me
3. Somewhat affordable houses (teacher)
4. Great Mountain Biking (really great preferred)
Have you considered Pocatello, Idaho? It's about 52,000 people, affordable housing, great skiing, biking, fly fishing, and not rainy (cold, but not rainy). It's also a university town, so probably some good teaching opportunities. I was there 3 weeks ago and rode 48 miles of singletrack in 2 days and saw 2 other bikers total. It was heaven!!

On that note, PLEASE do NOT move to Boise - it's bigger than what you want (because too many people have moved here), housing is no longer affordable (because too many people have moved here), and the biking now blows and the trails are WAY overcrowded (because too many people have moved here). Please do not add to the overpopulation of Boise. If I could find a job in Poky, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
 

·
Perpetually single track
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
The trails are overcrowded!?!?!? That's funny. Ridden there twice, and I thought the single track was empty. You'd hate CO then....trails have at least 10 times the people.
 

·
Preemptive Revenger
Joined
·
867 Posts
Where to Live - Other Considerations

I also think about moving away from Boulder from time to time, and wonder where to?

I have a couple more criteria that nobody else has mentioned. Please realize that these are personal values and I'm not trying to generate any flaming...with that in mind:

a) culture: now I am the first to admit that Boulder is way too wierd for me, but at least it is interesting...I feel some places might just be a little too...ummm...well you know. For instance, Lander Wyoming is supposed to be fabulous but I just can't see myself happy in cowboy country with no relief for 300 miles! I put most of Wyoming and Idaho in these categories.

b) state income taxes: I'm no fan of the government. (How the hell did I end up in Boulder?) So, in the west, that eliminates California, Orygun, Idaho, and suggests Arizona, Washington, and Wyoming.

Given this, places that have been on my radar screen are:
Wenatchee
Spokane
Lake Tahoe (Nevada side)
Jackson Hole
Sand Point / Couer d'Alene (in spite of the Idaho issues!)

I have visited all of these places and I would have to say they are all pretty great, and at least in the same league as the (more famous) Boulder.

Anyway, just my $0.02...thoughts appreciated!
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Two visits makes you no expert

ibmkidIII said:
The trails are overcrowded!?!?!? That's funny. Ridden there twice, and I thought the single track was empty. You'd hate CO then....trails have at least 10 times the people.
What's funny is that you've been here all of TWICE and you think you're the expert as to whether or not our trails are crowded. That's such a typical Colorado/California "I'm better and smarter than you" attitude. I've been here for many years, and yes, the trails are crowded, compared to how they used to be. It's a matter of comparison to time and location. I've heard that Colorado is much worse and that is EXACTLY what I DON'T want Boise to be like, but it's probably too late. Boise was the 4th fastest growing city in the United States in the 1990s and hasn't slowed down any this decade. The f*cking Californians and f*cking Coloradans are moving up here because they didn't like California or Colorado, but they're turning Boise into an overcrowded mess like they left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
oh man, you guys want chill cities, affordable housin????
what the hell why would you wanna stay in the states, i live in B.C Canada, whish is west and i cant turn my head without seein moutains, in fact thats all i see every bloody day, the city i live in is about 86k and well the riding up here is amazing so much to see an do..........Plus we have free healthcare so when you guys break your brittle american bones on our crazy canadian trails, well patch you right up Eh! and send you on your way with no charge haha Eh!!
 

·
Perpetually single track
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
Earthpig said:
What's funny is that you've been here all of TWICE and you think you're the expert as to whether or not our trails are crowded. That's such a typical Colorado/California "I'm better and smarter than you" attitude. I've been here for many years, and yes, the trails are crowded, compared to how they used to be. It's a matter of comparison to time and location. I've heard that Colorado is much worse and that is EXACTLY what I DON'T want Boise to be like, but it's probably too late. Boise was the 4th fastest growing city in the United States in the 1990s and hasn't slowed down any this decade. The f*cking Californians and f*cking Coloradans are moving up here because they didn't like California or Colorado, but they're turning Boise into an overcrowded mess like they left.
Geezus dude, you have some serious anger management issues. I'm quite well aware that I'm no expert on ID singletrack. See this is an internet forum, and people have conversations here. People comment on what others post. I found your comment interesting on how packed the trails are, so I commented on it. Now take a real deep breath and relax. Please tell me you have some other method of releasing pent up anger than the internet.

Try not to be so defensive. My post wasn't questioning you at all, but making a comparision that I noted the two times I was there riding versus all my trail time in CO.

Take it easy dude...

Kirk

PS. I just got a job offer up that way at HP....been really thinking about it, and your post has really swayed me. Thks. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Earthpig said:
What's funny is that you've been here all of TWICE and you think you're the expert as to whether or not our trails are crowded. That's such a typical Colorado/California "I'm better and smarter than you" attitude. I've been here for many years, and yes, the trails are crowded, compared to how they used to be. It's a matter of comparison to time and location. I've heard that Colorado is much worse and that is EXACTLY what I DON'T want Boise to be like, but it's probably too late. Boise was the 4th fastest growing city in the United States in the 1990s and hasn't slowed down any this decade. The f*cking Californians and f*cking Coloradans are moving up here because they didn't like California or Colorado, but they're turning Boise into an overcrowded mess like they left.
Hate to break it to you but it is like that just about everywhere that is worth living... get used to it.

Native Americans probably said the same thing a few hundred years ago. This place was great and the trails were empty until f*cking white man showed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Bend, OR

Im nto sure of the Population, but webcyclery is based there, I used to live in Eugene, and went to bend to ride, beautiful place, in the mtns, near the ocean (2 -3 hrs), beautiful riding, minimal rain...http://www.ci.bend.or.us/, go over to the Oregon forum and ask about Bend, or ask lef-t about riding in oregon. Anyways, just my 2 cents
 

·
I ride, therefore I am.
Joined
·
232 Posts
Boise

I remember taking my bike to Boise about 11 years ago while trying to get a job with the FD. People kept asking, "Are you from California?" because my Texas accent isn't too strong. When I said I was just visiting for a week and was from Texas, they suddenly became both relieved and more friendly! I kept hearing about how they were tired of the problems outsiders were bringing into their once pristine town. I'd hate to see how bad it is by now.

I remember riding north of town on the road and descending the cool open single track back. They were in the middle of a drought, so all the grass was brown. I rode with a group ride of maybe 15 riders total, which was spread out by the time we got to the trailhead. Not crowded at all. I really liked the town back then. It was a nice change from a truly over crowded city I'm still stuck in.

To the original poster: I'd consider Flagstaff, AZ for a potential town to move to. I haven't been there in over 15 years though, so check around. Other small/medium towns in NM are worth looking into.
 

·
Barneys Unite!
Joined
·
748 Posts
I moved to Boise

eight years ago, and it has definitely grown, but housing is still affordable compared to bigger cities. It's like anywhere else, some areas of town are more "spendy" than others. I haven't been mountain biking long, but I think it's great here - just about any level of technicality or difficulty. Some trails are a little crowded, others aren't.

Boise is a very cool place to live. Especially to a former flatlander like me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Earthpig said:
What's funny is that you've been here all of TWICE and you think you're the expert as to whether or not our trails are crowded. That's such a typical Colorado/California "I'm better and smarter than you" attitude. I've been here for many years, and yes, the trails are crowded, compared to how they used to be. It's a matter of comparison to time and location. I've heard that Colorado is much worse and that is EXACTLY what I DON'T want Boise to be like, but it's probably too late. Boise was the 4th fastest growing city in the United States in the 1990s and hasn't slowed down any this decade. The f*cking Californians and f*cking Coloradans are moving up here because they didn't like California or Colorado, but they're turning Boise into an overcrowded mess like they left.
Wow. Bummer for you.
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
Satan_Guy said:
oh man, you guys want chill cities, affordable housin????
what the hell why would you wanna stay in the states, i live in B.C Canada, whish is west and i cant turn my head without seein moutains, in fact thats all i see every bloody day, the city i live in is about 86k and well the riding up here is amazing so much to see an do..........Plus we have free healthcare so when you guys break your brittle american bones on our crazy canadian trails, well patch you right up Eh! and send you on your way with no charge haha Eh!!
'
dont spread lies. When I go up there, they sure want to see my US health card and proof of coverage. Canadian health care only applies to Canadian citizens, duh sure they'll patch you up, but they will bill your health care down here. Plus you have to meet all this goofy criteria if you are US citizen wanting to imigrate, it's not like a Yank can just move there, jeez.
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies - keep em coming??

#1 guy from Boise - relax a bit...just like almost anyplace cool, people will move there if they have the opportunity and there isn't really anything you can do except hope your town have planned their growth well....ask the people of Bend, OR what it is like, their town DOUBLED in a decade, growth wasn't planned well (i am not sure you can plan on doubling growth in a decade though) i think you need anger management or move to some very isolated place where you will not see people..

#2 Bend, OR is the one place i have tried...lived there for a school year and while it really had some stuff i liked, the weather wasn't as good as advertised...cloudy for jan, feb and march and april into may was miserable, could have been a bad year, but it soured me.. i have a friend that lives there so i still get to visit

#3 B.C. doesnt it rain every day and do you need a work visa, can an all American family move there??
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
billybobzia said:
t

#3 B.C. doesnt it rain every day and do you need a work visa, can an all American family move there??
BC is big, really big. It probably rains a lot on the coast but there's so much more...

And no, Americans in most situtaions cannot just move there. They have a point system. Among other factors, they look at your income, ( can't be poor) your profession ( is there a glut, you'd better have one and it must be one that they "need') your state of health ( must be excellent) , your criminal record(cant' have one) and your cash flow and reserve(better have lots) . They only allow Americans that cannot do something a Canadian can do in on a limited basis. You can buy a vacation home but you can't move on a permanent basis. Best way is to marry a Canadian. Work permits etc are issued to other member of the crown ( Oz, aussies) but not to americans.

oh, check out the traffic in Bend, worst than some big cities
hth
formica
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[QUOTE=formica

oh, check out the traffic in Bend, worst than some big cities

yup - thats because of the poor planning, but don't know if you can blame anyone really it grew so fast...i used to have to drive across town after work as a substitute teacher and the traffic was unbearable and that was 5 years ago..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
You could always check out Utah. There is obviously great riding (moab) and plenty of places to live that are between 50k-100k people. I don't really know much about housing costs, i'm just a teenager, but they can't be too bad.
 

·
Fragile - must be Italian
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
If you like it dry...

billybobzia said:
#1 guy from Boise - relax a bit...just like almost anyplace cool, people will move there if they have the opportunity and there isn't really anything you can do except hope your town have planned their growth well....ask the people of Bend, OR what it is like, their town DOUBLED in a decade, growth wasn't planned well (i am not sure you can plan on doubling growth in a decade though) i think you need anger management or move to some very isolated place where you will not see people..

#2 Bend, OR is the one place i have tried...lived there for a school year and while it really had some stuff i liked, the weather wasn't as good as advertised...cloudy for jan, feb and march and april into may was miserable, could have been a bad year, but it soured me.. i have a friend that lives there so i still get to visit

#3 B.C. doesnt it rain every day and do you need a work visa, can an all American family move there??
...then stick with the southwest states - AZ, CA, CO, NM.

My favorite picks for small-medium sized cities that are relatively affordable, have great biking and a decent climate (in this order):

Flagstaff, AZ
Prescott, AZ
Durango, CO (although housing is a tad pricey now)
Palm Springs, CA (that's right - lots of good biking in the surrounding mountains)
Albuquerque, NM (larger city but it really does feel small)

Thx...Doug
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top