Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say what you want about standover, but it is rather important to me at 47 years old. I'm looking for a true Enduro bike that gives me a decent chance at standover. Prefer 150mm+ rear travel, but considering 140mm. Currently ride Yeti SB5 XS with dropped top tube, that fits like a glove.

Looking for feedback from anyone under 5'1". I have a longer torso and shorter legs, so 27.5 is the only wheel size under consideration.

Any feedback from the uber shorties on the Process 153 w/27.5? I think my true standover clearance is 27.75". I've learned that the geo charts or not necessarily reliable where standover is concerned.

·
Rides like a girl
312 Posts
That is so true about reported standover and real life standover! My XS Hei Hei states 694 mm (just under 700), but that is NOT where my body touches. It's not a super scary concern, but it does make me work a little harder to make sure I don't make that contact! I think there are some bikes out there with super low standover. But really, as long as it's not super tall, it's a fairly rare instance where the standover is an issue. Ya, I know, it hurts like hell when it IS an issue; but with our short inseams we just have to be braver and tougher than the rest.
But good luck in your search.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I test rode the Process and the Hei Hei Trail the other day. I am 5'2" tall with a 28.5" inseam. On the Hei Hei Trail, I did notice that I wished the standover was lower. It was still rideable though. The Kona site lists the standover as 728 for the size small on that bike. I don't remember noticing anything with the Process which I would say is a good thing. The SO is listed as 702 mm.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ibis' designer Roxy Lo is close to your height, so she makes sure their bikes are comfortable for smaller riders. I remember when the Ripmo was first released an article mentioned that they really made an effort to make it fit shorter people despite being a 29er.

At 5'4" myself I totally get where you're coming from. While it's not a deal breaker, I can appreciate extra low standover, esp. when riding slow tech, when I'm likely to dab. The previous generation Kona process 153 probably has the lowest standover that I've ever enountered. Even the medium had decent clearance for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 2018 Ripley LS 29er as well, but I have to lean it to get off. It would be a better fit for someone 5'1. I have a longer torso and shorter legs, so I'm at an even bigger disadvantage. The Ripley is fine for flow or long endurance rides, but I get in my head on the tech stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.