Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys thought about this or if its possible. Alot of people are talking about running there RFX with 5 in rockers and a 2.25 shock to yield more travel. I thinks .75 in more, I'm not sure. Could this be done with a 5 spot and what would be the drawbacks if you could. If it worked it would balance out a Pike air probably pretty well and give you a little more cush without lugging a 6pack up the hill. On that note, I guess Turner is renaming the 6 pack next year it will be called RFX. What do you guys think about the 2.25 shock on a spot?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Most production 2.25" stroke shocks are at least 7.875" long. The longer i2i does not mount pleasantly on the Spot. It leans the rockers back at a wacky angle and the shock's head interferes with the underside of the rocker arms. I guess a 2.25x7.5 Avalanche may fit better. Someone would have to check tire clearance at bottomout.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet

Wow thanks Gonzostrike for the valuable input. Yeah I hear ya tscheezy about the Avy but it seems like a little much for a spot. Probably the only option though. It was just a thought, I've noticed alot of talk about it concerning the RFX.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
artsn said:
Wow thanks Gonzostrike for the valuable input. Yeah I hear ya tscheezy about the Avy but it seems like a little much for a spot. Probably the only option though. It was just a thought, I've noticed alot of talk about it concerning the RFX.
I know it is a different frame (ie, X-5) but I was warned (albeit probably overly conservatively) that I would have issues with a 7.875x2.25 when an 8.0x2.25 would have no such problem (ie, seatstay yoke contact). I guess the point is, even a subtle difference may become problematic. Perhaps ask Larry at mtnhighcyclery if he configured such a setup.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
artsn said:
Wow thanks Gonzostrike for the valuable input.
Yeah, another spectacular e-flat landing! :(

Anyways, there's the avy 7.5x2.25", and also a few vanilla RC's in that same size floating around- that's what I have on my RFX w/ 5" rockers, (which is really close to a 'spot in terms of geometry). So, an extra 1/4", times the spot's 2.5:1 ratio, will give you an extra .6" of travel, presuming clearance is OK. Now, you would only experience that extra travel on hits that would normally bottom out the 2" stroke shock, since you would run the same spring rate, and the ratio is unchanged. That's been my experience on the RFX, it works great, however that doesn't mean it's a good idea on the spot. If you want more travel, the 6-pack is a much better bet for you.

PS, another thing is your BB height- at full compression with a 130mm fork, you are going to have about a 10" BB. That's super low! I do smack my feet into things more often than I did with a standard 7.5x2.0 shock, even with the 538mm Z150 on there.

Hope that helps- basically I wouldn't advise it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just what I was looking for

Thanks FM. That idea sucks. A 10 in bb is unexceptable. I have a RFX i run in 5 in mode for trail riding. I'm hoping to get a 5 spot by the end of the year so I can restore the RFX to its full glory. Throw the Super T on full time and all that. I do equal amounts of shuttle runs and long xc rides. The 30 min personality change thats required to make the RFX awesome at both is wearing on me and like everyone has said still comes with compromises. I'm saving my pennies so I can have the best of both worlds. I'm realizing I need 2 bikes( besides my Surly commuter). FM I'll be hitting you up soon for more Fruita knowledge.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Yo Artsn!
Just to clarify, your BB will only be that low when your shock is fully compressed. And since you are hardly ever pedalling when your shock is fully compressed, it's not that big of a deal. The only times it's bugged me was when I was wheelie-ing up onto tall ledges during technical climbs.

A 2.25" stroke shock might not be such a hot idea on a spot, but it's kick ass on the RFX w/5" rockers.

artsn said:
Thanks FM. That idea sucks. A 10 in bb is unexceptable. I have a RFX i run in 5 in mode for trail riding. I'm hoping to get a 5 spot by the end of the year so I can restore the RFX to its full glory. Throw the Super T on full time and all that. I do equal amounts of shuttle runs and long xc rides. The 30 min personality change thats required to make the RFX awesome at both is wearing on me and like everyone has said still comes with compromises. I'm saving my pennies so I can have the best of both worlds. I'm realizing I need 2 bikes( besides my Surly commuter). FM I'll be hitting you up soon for more Fruita knowledge.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Look for a Cane Creek with the size you mentioned - if there's a number combination (e2e/stroke), they make it, plus it'll save you a little weight. Should be cheap enough to warrant a try, as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just a note about the Avalanche Chubie shock. With the standard rockers from Turner, the rocker plates come in too tight above the shock and hit the shock body with the 2.25" stroke. To compensate for this, Avalanche offers its 7.5" shock with an extended eyelet to clear the rocker arms, but it limits the stroke to 2.0" (defeating the intial purpose of the shock swap). This is not the case with the remote reservoir shock because you mount it upside down. Just some food for thought since I was thinking the same thoughts with my RFX.

Bryan

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Renegade said:
Wow, I hope I didn't FOK UP Dave's [I thought I owned it?] RFX when I did this?

I'm callin' Dave right now!!!!! :rolleyes: How dare you.
Funny, I'm sure he's seen what I've done; he does cruise this forum. He hasn't commented in the threads one way or another. I can only assume he doesn't mind unless I actually solicit his opinion. Callin' Dave!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.