Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new trail bike to build. I'd be doing a good bit of XC on it, but it would do some DH a couple times a year as well. The DH would mostly be flowing and fairly smooth, with some rocks and rock gardens thrown in. I don't do big drops on my equipment. Anyway, I have a line on a 5 Spot and a RFX, both of the older Horst link design. They cost roughly the same. Also, I weigh 150 pounds, figure 160 with my gear. Which frame should I be leaning toward here?

Also, is it possible to increase the 5 Spot's travel to 6" with new rockers?

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
From what you have described I would say that the 5-Spot would be the bike for your riding style. The nice thing about the Spot, and the RFX for that matter, is that they can be built up lighter for the XC rider or a little heavier for the more aggressive trail rider. In this forum you will see that there are quite a few people who have built up LIGHT RFXs that weigh in around 30-33 lbs. So needless to say, that is a very viable option for you as well.

But in conclusion I think that the 5-Spot is what you should lean toward since it is a very capable frame that will sooth your XC needs and allow you to open it up on the way back down. Take a look at the Set UP section and you will see the different builds that cover pure XC to light freeride.

Dont put 6" rockers on the 5-Spot. Im pretty sure you rear wheel and your seat tube would meet if you did so. :nono:

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
be350ka said:
From what you have described I would say that the 5-Spot would be the bike for your riding style.
Oh, yeah? What if I said the RFX would be better for his riding style ;) ?

Seriously, if money is an object (and it was for me), an older used RFX may be the way to go. At least I hope so. You will pay a weight penalty for an older RFX over the Spot, so if keeping the weight down is important then the Spot might be the better option.

FWIW, I agree w/ be350k about use. He's got the Spot, I've now got a 2002 RFX, and we'll be riding the same trails, probably hitting most of the same lines. But I outweigh him by 60+lbs, so I felt I really needed the extra strength of the RFX frame. Your lighter than both of us, so take that into consideration. Plus, if most of your riding is XC, then do you want to be lugging around a 35lb bike. Just some food for thought.

I hope that helped.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Based on your description, unless you are a clyde, the Spot is the bike for your terrain/style. However, the RFX is a bike you can grow into and will allow you to increase the drops/speeds/etc..., yet still be a very serviceable trail bike once you get stronger due to the extra weight. If you get 5" rockers for the RFX, it's geometry will be almost identical to the Spot, but with a .5 - 1 lbs weight difference (I don't recall the actual weight difference), ignoring shock type.

You can't put 6" rockers on the Spot, however Push will eventually be coming out with 5.75" rockers that you can get.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 6' and 150 pounds I'm anything but a clydesdale.

After Whitetail closed I sold my full suspension rigs and have been riding hardtails since. Voodoo for XC and a PX for downhill. But I think I'd like something to do double duty of smoothing out XC when I want and something I can also drop the seat on and go faster and smoother when I go to a ski resort. I don't need it as my only XC ride because the Voodoo stays until it breaks.

Am I still looking at the Spot?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
personally, id say the spot was the better weopon. but if i had listened to myself rather than dt, i wouldnt have my '02 rfx and that would be a bad thing. i still want a spot anyway but thats a deal for another day. sounds like a spot is best for you if yer gonna keep light on yer toes for those lifted days at the ski hill.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
bad mechanic said:
I've been looking for a new trail bike to build. I'd be doing a good bit of XC on it, but it would do some DH a couple times a year as well. The DH would mostly be flowing and fairly smooth, with some rocks and rock gardens thrown in. I don't do big drops on my equipment. Anyway, I have a line on a 5 Spot and a RFX, both of the older Horst link design. They cost roughly the same. Also, I weigh 150 pounds, figure 160 with my gear. Which frame should I be leaning toward here?

It would be easier to change the RFX down to 5" than adding 1 to the Spot. :ihih:

I would go with the RFX and then look in to sourcing a spot rear and/or rockers for it for your XC days. Mount a 66SL up front and add lighter wheels and tires. Perfect trail bike....IMO.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
If replacing, or nearly replacing, the hardtail, Spot.

If adding to the quiver -- you still plan to ride the ht a fair bit -- RFX.

With both a coil spring shock and an air shock, both bikes cover a huge range of riding, esp at your weight.

·
Registered
162 Posts
everything is a trade off

IMO the 5-Spot has a small advantage over the RFX in moderate terrain and climbing. The RFX has a big advantage over the 5-Spot when it comes to technical terrain and downhill.

Get the RFX.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I say RFX as well, like what SS said, you can build down a RFX to a fairly light all day rig, but building up (heavy duty parts and long travel forks) a 5 Spot isnt so good, thats when frames brake. Search for Aquaholic, 5 Spot rider that ended up with a RFX front triangle because the Spot kept braking. No DH and FRing, then the Spot should be fine.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
PCinSC said:
Did you just recommend that someone purchases a Turner? I'm flabbergasted. I can't believe that no one else picked this up. ;)

Patrick
its kinda like one of those mexican donkey shows. ya know ya shouldnt be seein it but ya cant look away and ya sure as hell dont tell yer friends ya saw it.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
It is really pretty simple

bad mechanic said:

I am a cross country rider. I enjoy to get on bikes and ride. I'm not much of a thrill seeker. The experience of mountain biking is more about fitness, scenery, and being on a bike as opposed to jumps, drops, and speed.

A couple days ago a guy I ride with and I went to a freeride area and did a technical ride. There are drops, ladders, jumps, etc. I enjoy it but I would rather ride another area with a long climb followed by some flowing singletrack. More fun for me! It is just who I am...my personality type.

So, who are you? Are you a hyper aggressive guy who loves to shuttle and blast down like a demon? Or a hammerhead who likes to climb and descend less technical terrain? The Pack is a better bike for the super aggressive and the Spot is better for the cross country hammerhead. You won't break your Spot on a downhill but it won't be as much fun as the Pack.

Hope that helps at some level. A bit of an oversimplification but you get the point.

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
U sound like me

bad mechanic said:

I have both and I use the 5 Spot for 90% of my riding. You CAN put 6" rockers on the 5 Spot but the head angle gets way too steep and the BB jumps up close to 15". Push however is set to launch some 5.7" Spot rockers that preserve the geometry that I have my eye on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am with Jaybo. You need to think about what kind of riding you will be doing most of the time. I tormented myself for weeks about the same decision. I went with a used 05 Pack for 1100. Found it on Ridemonkey. I am so glad I did. The Spot would have been a mistake. I am riding real technical rocky stuff with a bunch of 3 to 5 footers. I can also take the bike to the new freeride park and be very happy. You can build it light. Maybe 3 pounds more than the way you would probably build the spot. Pick up some inexpensive DH wheels and a used triple clamp, and you are good to go for the resorts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
5 Spot

bad mechanic said:

5 SPOT​
You answered your own question. XC occasional DH. I too had the same decision. However, my emphasis is on aggressive trail riding with normal trail drops ( 2-3ft). I ride up before I go down and that can be 15 miles up so I went with a spot. BTW go with a 140-150mm ajustable travel fork like a pike or zoke Z1 light and wait for the push 5.7 rockers. And one other thing, were all full of biased sh-t so go to turners website and ask them.:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.