Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you Motlite riders spent any time on a Horst Link 5 Spot? I've been running my 5 Spot for 5 years but I've been thinking about trying a Motolite to match the travel adjustment of my front fork but I don't want to drop 2g without hearing some opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Coming from the Turner Spot, you will feel that the ML is not plush. You will think that it is more of an XC type of 5 inch bike. The Spot is really plush. The ML will be easier and lighter to pedal than the Spot. The Spot is more AMish than the ML.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks XTR

So Spot = smoother while the ML = faster. Does the ML feel like a bike with a little less than 5"(better climber, rougher decender) while the Spot feels like a bike with a little more than 5"(slower climber, smoother decender)? Define Amish for me if you will; relaxed, old fashioned, made of wood:D Thanks for your help.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,720 Posts
slowrider said:
So Spot = smoother while the ML = faster. Does the ML feel like a bike with a little less than 5"(better climber, rougher decender) while the Spot feels like a bike with a little more than 5"(slower climber, smoother decender)? Define Amish for me if you will; relaxed, old fashioned, made of wood:D Thanks for your help.
The Spot (TNT version) handles the rough stuff better, both up and down, but is a bit slower pedaling otherwise. ML is slightly more on the XC end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ever think of the EG?

Have you ever thought of the EG?

The Moto = stiffer and racier, better climber

5 Spot = little slower climb, more plush, better descender

EG = little slower climb (although reports are it climbs equal to the ML), super plush on the downhills

Chris

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not interested in the EG

I've owned a ton of 6" bikes and I've decided that the Foes FXR is likely the last one I'll buy, half because it's so good and half because at 43 I'm not as willing to haul 32 lbs of plush out on a 30 mile backcountry ride. I've been using my FXR as my "A" bike to cushion my often injured wrists and shoulders and my 5 Spot as my "fast" or long ride bike because its 5+ lbs lighter and set up with a more XC attitude.
The Spot and the FXR have many similar handling trates, a little too similar and I'm considering the ML so my bikes have more diverse personalities. The ML frame is about a pound lighter than the Spot and the travel can be made 4X4" for some of these long smooth rides and with an adjustable fork can be a 5X5" bike pretty quickly for long DH riding. Thanks for the thought though...
Chris9702l said:
Have you ever thought of the EG?

The Moto = stiffer and racier, better climber

5 Spot = little slower climb, more plush, better descender

EG = little slower climb (although reports are it climbs equal to the ML), super plush on the downhills

Chris

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've an 05 HL 5-Spot that I've put Push 140mm rockers on and a set of Z1 Lights so it's def more of an AM bike. On the other hand, my ML Exogrid is set up light (full XTR and Roval wheels) with a set of Magura Thors.
I love both bikes and the comments above are spot-on re: differences. I ride one or the other depending on my mood, and where (and sometimes who) I'm riding with. I would say that if you are in the zone and riding well then the ML is quicker everywhere except really rough decents. Interestingly the ML can wander quite a bit when climbing so you still need adjustable forks.
I've just demo'd a new DW Link 5-Spot and am very tempted - I think this could fit right between the old Spot and ML. See my review and comparison in the Turner forum for further thoughts.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, great info

So Motolite great climber, good descender/ HL 5 Spot fair climber great descender/ DW Spot climbs better than the HL Spot but not as well as the Motolite, descends better than the Motolite but not as well as the HL Spot; If I understand you correctly.
What is the weight difference between your 2 current bikes if you know? Thanks again.:thumbsup:
heihei said:
I've an 05 HL 5-Spot that I've put Push 140mm rockers on and a set of Z1 Lights so it's def more of an AM bike. On the other hand, my ML Exogrid is set up light (full XTR and Roval wheels) with a set of Magura Thors.
I love both bikes and the comments above are spot-on re: differences. I ride one or the other depending on my mood, and where (and sometimes who) I'm riding with. I would say that if you are in the zone and riding well then the ML is quicker everywhere except really rough decents. Interestingly the ML can wander quite a bit when climbing so you still need adjustable forks.
I've just demo'd a new DW Link 5-Spot and am very tempted - I think this could fit right between the old Spot and ML. See my review and comparison in the Turner forum for further thoughts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
3 years on a SPOT, 3 months on a ML

I spent three years on two HL Spots. I loved how the spot climbed and descended but always felt it was a bit slow. I stripped the Spot and built up the ML and was amazed on just how "slow" the Spot was. With almost extensively light weight race components, the ML came in almost 3/4 lb lighter (26lbs).

On the ML, I was pulling away from my group and found myself having to wait for them to catch up. But when it came to descents on the ML, I just about killed myself. I have never crashed harder in my life or gone over my handlebars more. For my own safety, I swapped it out for an EG.

The ML did have a tendancy to wander on steep ascents as compaired to the Spot. This was easy to compensate for by shifting my weight forward and I eventually found myself clearing climbs I had not in the past.

If you are looking for a fast XC/AM bike, the ML is a great fit. A better offset for your Foes. Just ensure you get your weight back for steep rocky descents or you will likely find yourself airborn.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the thought Sopwith but

I don't really trust "plastic" handlebars, let alone frames (JK I know it's cf). Besides in order for all that weight savings to be in the frame it would have to weigh about 3 1/2 pounds, and I'm fairly certain that's not the case. I think I'd use the same build kit as you're 23 lb Ibis build for a 23.5 lb ML. The ML ti frame (cf stays I'd rather avoid but what the heck, I could allways swap it out for the Al ones if there were issues) weighs in at 5.8 lbs, is US made, has a lifetime mainframe warranty and is available for no more than the Ibis (less than the sl); oh and it's a horst link (my favorite). Besides I'm trying to WIDEN the gap in bike style;) not narrow it.
Thanks everyone, you allmost have my debit card smoking. I'm seriously considering a 7 hour drive to Sedona AZ to test ride one:eek:ut: before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I agree that the ML leans a bit to the XC side of things, but depending on how it's built it can also be quite versatile, especially with the 4"/5" option. I think that due to the specific Horst link design used by Titus this bike is one of the most snappy pedaling AM-capable bikes out there. If you want a bike that puts emphasis on speed, acceleration, and light weight, it's hard to beat an ML. If you do decide to buy one, I just hope you're not around 5'11" 32in, if so then good luck choosing a size :)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
The small ML uses a 6.5 x 1.5 shock with a 3.33:1 leverage ratio. This is fine if you are light but watch out if you are over 150 lbs.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yes, do watch out. I built up and road my wife's small frame (1.5 inch stroke). Was not at all impressed by it. I then tried a medium Motolite at a demo day and was blown away! They are not the same bikes. Also look at the fact that on the new FM all the sizes have a 2" stroke.
And I am the 5'11 guy. Medium fits great.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
slowrider said:
So the small and med use different length shocks for the same travel/ geometry, thats just weird. I don't remember seeing that before, thanks for that vital piece of info.
I think there was method-to-the-madness using a shorter shock for smaller sizes. The smaller shock gives a higher leverage ratio, which is good for lighter riders. Only problem is with heavier short people...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.