Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in wheels and tires but got no action but it is Turner related so here goes.

I have 3 disc wheel sets, King / VCX, Hope Bulb / 317, XT / Rhyno Lite. I was thinking of putting a heavier duty rim on the Bulbs and then selling the XT / Rhyno's. These will be used in some pretty rocky terrain but no big drops. I am thinking of trying tubeless and have read that the 819 is pretty durable. I weigh 220lbs and these will be on my 5 Spot most of the time. Any other suggestions?

Can regular tires be run tubeless on 819's and other tubeless rims with Stan's sealant?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Travis Bickle said:
Any other suggestions?
I've no experience with Mavic latest offerings, but I've run a Sun Singletrack, which I understand is the disc version of the Rhyno Lite, up front the past couple of month now with good success. They can be a b!tch to install and remove a tire off of.
 

·
Not just famous; infamous
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Travis Bickle said:
I posted this in wheels and tires but got no action but it is Turner related so here goes.

Can regular tires be run tubeless on 819's and other tubeless rims with Stan's sealant?
Yup. I'm running Kenda Nevegal 2.35's on 819's with some Stan's and they're working great. No flats, no complaints. I'm probably losing about 4-5psi a week, but I've had tubes do that on me. I change my pressure according to the terrain before every ride anyway, so it's no big deal. I would say that if you're not having problems with the VCX or 317s and you wanna use tubeless rims, the 819s will be perfect. If your rims flex or you're getting flat spots, definitely look at the 823s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
819 vs 823

My VCX wheels are pretty stiff but would like something a bit stiffer and stronger. Is the 819 tougher than the VCX and if so how much? The 823 is pretty heavy, would it be overkill for a trail bike for rocky conditions? Any body with experience with both?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
Yup. I'm running Kenda Nevegal 2.35's on 819's with some Stan's and they're working great. No flats, no complaints. I'm probably losing about 4-5psi a week, but I've had tubes do that on me. I change my pressure according to the terrain before every ride anyway, so it's no big deal. I would say that if you're not having problems with the VCX or 317s and you wanna use tubeless rims, the 819s will be perfect. If your rims flex or you're getting flat spots, definitely look at the 823s.
On your XM819s, are you using a Stan's rubber rim-strip along with the sealant, or did you just use the Mavic plastic rim strip that came with the wheel/rim?

John W.
 

·
Not just famous; infamous
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
None of the above

I just put in the valve, mounted the tire, slopped in some latex and used a compressor to get the pressure up to around 50psi, let it sit overnite, and they're working fine. Actually, I don't remember any kind of rim strip, plastic or otherwise, coming with the rims. If you use the stan's rimstrip, the tire should hold air better (rubber to rubber seals much better than rubber to metal), but having to pump up my tires once every 7-10 days just doesn't bother me. If that'll bug you, I'd get the stan's strip. Then you only have to pump up your tires once or twice a month...if you're lucky ;)

My whole theory was, if I'm gonna use the stan's strip, why am I spending the money on a true tubeless rim? I could have saved money and weight by buying a normal rim, then doing the conversion. By buying the 819, I now have the option of running a UST tire, once they come out with something I'm interested in. If Conti would come out with a Vertical Protection UST, I'd probably be on those (too many folks are tearing the hell out of their sidewalls of the Vert UST tires here in CO). Kenda's got a 2.1 UST BG/Nevegal on the way (supposedly) that'll be worth taking a look at. The Geax Sturdy's are getting good reviews, but I'm not sure if they're available in UST. :confused:

papajohn said:
On your XM819s, are you using a Stan's rubber rim-strip along with the sealant, or did you just use the Mavic plastic rim strip that came with the wheel/rim?

John W.
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
Travis Bickle said:
My VCX wheels are pretty stiff but would like something a bit stiffer and stronger. Is the 819 tougher than the VCX and if so how much? The 823 is pretty heavy, would it be overkill for a trail bike for rocky conditions? Any body with experience with both?
Hard to quantify the difference, but yes the 819 is noticeably stiffer than the VXC and the sidewalls are stronger.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
The Geax Sturdy's are getting good reviews, but I'm not sure if they're available in UST. :confused:
The Geax 2.25 Sturdy's are available in a UST. Check it out here. I've run the the non-UST 2.25 Sturdy in the rear for most of the summer with much success, but up front I typically prefer a more aggressive tread pattern.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top