Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this might have been asked before, but probably not for a small dude like me. I've been thinking a small should be the right size. But I've heard from some others that a med. may be better.

I'm 5' 6.5" tall, short legs, longer torso. Inseam 28 inches. I know, short. With many frames, I'm usually right on the cusp between size small and medium, but the smalls are usually much better.

I ride a small Titus Switchblade now, which is actually just a tad to long in the top tube. I have to have the seat a bit forward. As for as TT length on the 5 Spot, it seems it would be idea for me. However, I heard from another dude who's 5' 5" and he says he's got a lot of seatpost sticking up. That in itself shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to hear from some of you others.

What do you think?

·
Registered
485 Posts
myitch said:
OK, so this might have been asked before, but probably not for a small dude like me. I've been thinking a small should be the right size. But I've heard from some others that a med. may be better.

I'm 5' 6.5" tall, short legs, longer torso. Inseam 28 inches. I know, short. With many frames, I'm usually right on the cusp between size small and medium, but the smalls are usually much better.

I ride a small Titus Switchblade now, which is actually just a tad to long in the top tube. I have to have the seat a bit forward. As for as TT length on the 5 Spot, it seems it would be idea for me. However, I heard from another dude who's 5' 5" and he says he's got a lot of seatpost sticking up. That in itself shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to hear from some of you others.

What do you think?
I'd go with the small. I am 5'7" and ride a small 5 Spot. I've got lots of seatpost showing, but that is necessary for us short folks if we want any standover height on a bike with 5" of travel. I've always ridden small frames. My hardtail and rigid bikes both have the same effective TT length as my Spot (15.5" Habanero, and 15" Stumpjumper, IIRC). I need 390mm or longer seatposts on all of them.

These days, for some reason, it seems fashionable for people to ride bikes that are too big. I don't get it.

Justen

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
justen said:
I'd go with the small. I am 5'7" and ride a small 5 Spot. I've got lots of seatpost showing, but that is necessary for us short folks if we want any standover height on a bike with 5" of travel. I've always ridden small frames. My hardtail and rigid bikes both have the same effective TT length as my Spot (15.5" Habanero, and 15" Stumpjumper, IIRC). I need 390mm or longer seatposts on all of them.

These days, for some reason, it seems fashionable for people to ride bikes that are too big. I don't get it.

Justen
Thanks Justen. Yes, I was thinking of the small too. My small Titus is just a tad too long for me. The small 5 Spot is a bit shorter, so it makes total sense for me to go with the small. A long seatpost may not look great, but it won't make a difference with performance, which is what we're after here. Plus, it'll be more flickable on the trail. Sweet. Can't argue that one, eh.

A small 5 Spot it is then. Now if I can only find one used somewhere!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
5'6.5", 30" inside leg. Just bought medium 5-Spot.
I went for an off-road (2 hour) test ride on a medium (only size available at lbs) and had no problems. I was able to sit on a small (lbs borrowed a kind customers for me - not able to take off road).

Ended up confused as swapping stem lengths and fitting lay-back seat posts made each size feel better than the other at various stages. I did find that the effective standover height on the small did not seem all that much more than the medium as the shorter TT means you are further along the TT slope. (This could have been all in the mind as I was beyond confused at this stage).

I ended up going for the medium as I'd had the extended test ride and knew it was OK, the Turner website advises 'going large' if you are between sizes, and I did the online sizing thing on Cycle Surgery (I think), which came out medium. After 2 months I'm very happy with the size, but I can't be sure the small wouldn't have been even better.

Not much help I know. Good luck and try to swing your leg over one of each before buying.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, if I remember correctly, when I had a 1999 RFX I think it was a medium. Is that older RFX the same sizing as the new 5 Spots? I remember that medium was a good fit and didn't feel too big. But then again, I'm realizing only recently that my Switchblade is a tad too long.

I'll just have to find a LBS that carries them.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,930 Posts
Here are some cockpit measurements.
This method of measuring provides some realistic numbers to compare how the bike will feel.
I measure from the back of the handlebar next to the stem to the front of the seatpost, moving the tape up and down on the seatpost end to find the shortest number.
Small spot with 80mm stem and standard diameter bars = 23.25"
Small rfx with 75mm stem = 22.625"

The challenge in making fit comparisons is that different angles influence how a certain length top tube will feel and slacker seat tubes will increase the cockpit length as the seat is raised.

When I first started riding my rfx it felt really tight in the cockpit, despite what sounded like a long top tube for my height. I've adapted and appreciated it, going from a 100mm stem and running a 75 now.

My worry would be that you end up with a long stem and setback seat on a small which puts you kind of hanging over the front and back of the bike instead of a more ideal center.

Terrain plays a role also so compare the wheelbases and think how it works with your style and trails.

Hook up with some Homers and try their bikes!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
myitch said:
Actually, if I remember correctly, when I had a 1999 RFX I think it was a medium. Is that older RFX the same sizing as the new 5 Spots? I remember that medium was a good fit and didn't feel too big.
Not really- The "medium" 2002 RFX has an 18" seat tube, whereas the medium spot has a 17". besides that and BB height, the numbers are pretty similar.

I think at your size, a medium w/ short stem would be OK for XC riding. If you like the free-ride end of XC though, I'd definately go small and ride with a shorter, more upright cockpit. That'll make it easier to get the front end up and keep it there when you're airborne or descending really steep stuff. You could still add some stretch by going with a layback seatpost.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
airwreck said:
My worry would be that you end up with a long stem and setback seat on a small which puts you kind of hanging over the front and back of the bike instead of a more ideal center.
Couldn't agree more. Not your size at all, but I've ridden my Spot at length with both a straight seat post, and a lay-back. By far, I like the way it rides, and especially climbs, with the straight post. And on the way down, I'm not sitting on the seat, so seatpost and seat position considerations vanish.

To continue with my somewhat contrarian viewpoint, I think that lots of exposed seatpost absolutely does affect the ride. In addition to the already mentioned position too far off the back, it also results in a kind of flexy, less connected feel in the twisties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
myitch said:
Actually, if I remember correctly, when I had a 1999 RFX I think it was a medium. Is that older RFX the same sizing as the new 5 Spots? I remember that medium was a good fit and didn't feel too big. But then again, I'm realizing only recently that my Switchblade is a tad too long.

I'll just have to find a LBS that carries them.
Myitch..check your PM

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
airwreck said:
Here are some cockpit measurements.
This method of measuring provides some realistic numbers to compare how the bike will feel.
I measure from the back of the handlebar next to the stem to the front of the seatpost, moving the tape up and down on the seatpost end to find the shortest number.
Small spot with 80mm stem and standard diameter bars = 23.25"
Small rfx with 75mm stem = 22.625"

The challenge in making fit comparisons is that different angles influence how a certain length top tube will feel and slacker seat tubes will increase the cockpit length as the seat is raised.

When I first started riding my rfx it felt really tight in the cockpit, despite what sounded like a long top tube for my height. I've adapted and appreciated it, going from a 100mm stem and running a 75 now.

Terrain plays a role also so compare the wheelbases and think how it works with your style and trails.

Hook up with some Homers and try their bikes!
Thanks. Yeah, I need to try some small and medium bikes on for size to be sure. Forgive my ignorance, but who are the homers? I take it it's those of you who've become a club of some kind? Sounds great to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.