Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am seriously looking at a 5 Spot, but am trying to figure out the right frame size. I am 6'1.5" with a 23.5" inseam. Using competitve cyclist's calcumator, it calls for a virtual top tube of 25.3-25.7", the XL is 24.8", so that would seem like the obvious choice.

What are you 6+ ft guys riding out there?

I've been riding Spech FSR's size XL for the last 5+ years and really did enjoy it on the open/fast sections, kind of felt like a barge on the tight technical stuff.

I just moved to Salt Lake, so I'll be doing Rocky mountain riding, 24 hr races, X-terra stuff, MOAB, etc. Is the flux maybe the way to go?

Also, on the 5 spot, do most of you ride the RP3 or DHX rear shock (I'll be more XC oriented).

Thanks in advance,

Moises :confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
XL for me

I'm 6'-2" with a 35.5" inseam and could not be happier with my XL w/ RP3. I ride primarily XC and the bike is fantastic. I prefer to have a bike setup without a ton of seatpost or 2-3" of spacers on the steer tube, which I probably would have had if I had chosen to go with a large. I originally thought that I would be running a shorter stem with this setup, but swapping back and forth between a 90 and 120, I actually find I prefer the setup with the 120 - so there is actually some room to shorten my cockpit up if that helps at all.

There were some good threads earlier this year with comparisoin between the L frame and XL, but I don't know if those are accessible - I just tryed a search and didn't get too far.

Of course the standard advise applies - try to find a L or XL and ride it! I was able to find a Large in my area which helped a bunch, but no XL. The next best thing is to do what you are doing now, which is measuring and riding bikes of similar dimensions to see how they feel.

For me, the RP3 is a great shock. I can really feel the difference in the three modes. In the '+' setting, the bike feels like it rides higher in the travel which makes it a quicker steerer for the fast and flat twisties in addition to the liveliness you feel at the pedals with the added platform. The '-' does the opposite, that is it feels like it sags a bit more and adds stability to the ride in addition to providing a super cush ride. That being said, I have never had an issue just leaving it in the middle or '-' setting and just riding. FWIW, I haven't ridden a DHX (or any other shock on the Spot, for that matter), so can't really compare.

I hope this helps a bit.
cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockbender said:
I'm 6'-2" with a 35.5" inseam and could not be happier with my XL w/ RP3. I ride primarily XC and the bike is fantastic. I prefer to have a bike setup without a ton of seatpost or 2-3" of spacers on the steer tube, which I probably would have had if I had chosen to go with a large. I originally thought that I would be running a shorter stem with this setup, but swapping back and forth between a 90 and 120, I actually find I prefer the setup with the 120 - so there is actually some room to shorten my cockpit up if that helps at all.

There were some good threads earlier this year with comparisoin between the L frame and XL, but I don't know if those are accessible - I just tryed a search and didn't get too far.

Of course the standard advise applies - try to find a L or XL and ride it! I was able to find a Large in my area which helped a bunch, but no XL. The next best thing is to do what you are doing now, which is measuring and riding bikes of similar dimensions to see how they feel.

For me, the RP3 is a great shock. I can really feel the difference in the three modes. In the '+' setting, the bike feels like it rides higher in the travel which makes it a quicker steerer for the fast and flat twisties in addition to the liveliness you feel at the pedals with the added platform. The '-' does the opposite, that is it feels like it sags a bit more and adds stability to the ride in addition to providing a super cush ride. That being said, I have never had an issue just leaving it in the middle or '-' setting and just riding. FWIW, I haven't ridden a DHX (or any other shock on the Spot, for that matter), so can't really compare.

I hope this helps a bit.
cheers
It does, thanks for the reply. So far it seems the XL is the way to go.

I am wondering on the DHX vs. RP3 since it is now the standard shock shipped with the bike.

Thx,

M

·
Registered
415 Posts
I really like my RP3 and I'm sure I'll like it even more once I get it PUSHED this winter. I'm 210+ w/ gear and the back end just feels sweet, it doesn’t matter if I’m crawling through a rock garden or bombing down a root filled downhill. I don't ride any big drops, 2-3 foot max, so I don't think the DHX is necessary for me.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
SLC_Specialized said:
Hi,

I am seriously looking at a 5 Spot, but am trying to figure out the right frame size. I am 6'1.5" with a 23.5" inseam. Using competitve cyclist's calcumator, it calls for a virtual top tube of 25.3-25.7", the XL is 24.8", so that would seem like the obvious choice.

What are you 6+ ft guys riding out there?

I've been riding Spech FSR's size XL for the last 5+ years and really did enjoy it on the open/fast sections, kind of felt like a barge on the tight technical stuff.

I just moved to Salt Lake, so I'll be doing Rocky mountain riding, 24 hr races, X-terra stuff, MOAB, etc. Is the flux maybe the way to go?

Also, on the 5 spot, do most of you ride the RP3 or DHX rear shock (I'll be more XC oriented).

Thanks in advance,

Moises :confused:
Are you sure that fit calc isn't giving you total cockpit length (ie: top tube + stem)? 25" + top tube would be insanely long for most guys your height, better check on that one. There are exceptions of course, but most people I've dealt with who are under 6'2" are going with large. 6'2" and up and/or 34"+ inseam are typically going XL.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
89 Posts
XL here

6'3"...34" inseam...90 mm stem...couldn't be happier!

I rode an XL Enduro prior to my Spot and I found the XL Enduro measured up more similarly with the XL Spot over the L Spot!

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I am 6' 2" and have a large 5 Spot. I called many shops and asked their rec. and compared the results. I then went to a Turner dealer and tried both and finally settled on the large. I came off an XL Superlight with a 24" top tube and was more comfortable with the large Spot and its 23.9" TT because I just felt more at home. Try them both because we are right on the line between the L and XL.

·
Bring Back Buck
68 Posts
Hey there,

I was in the same positition, but one size dwon the range when I bought my spot. Technically, I should fit a medium, but opted for a large with a 90mm 5deg Thompson stem. This makes the bike very controallable, and the shorter stem means you can get the front end up with realative ease.
My theory was, you can't strecth a small frame, but you can make a bigger frame slighty shorter if necessary. I also used ther Wrench Science on line sizing guide to check my measurements before they built my bike.

On the side, not too sure if you've thought about forks yet, but combined with a Manitou Nixon and it's IT adjust, I can change the set up of my Spot on the go, taking it from a slightly raked back and relaxed stance, to a more agrerssive XC one with the press of a button (usually for long climbs). I believe the Rock Shox Pike has a simlar feature with its U-Turn adjust, all be it a slower wind down flip up toggle ontop of the left fork leg.

Buck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ventanarama said:
Are you sure that fit calc isn't giving you total cockpit length (ie: top tube + stem)? 25" + top tube would be insanely long for most guys your height, better check on that one. There are exceptions of course, but most people I've dealt with who are under 6'2" are going with large. 6'2" and up and/or 34"+ inseam are typically going XL.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
Larry,

That's what the calculator gave me, 25" Virtual Top Tube at www.competitivecyclist.com.
I am right between the XL and the L, in the specialized and sant cruz, and after riding them always end up leaning towards the XL. I wasn't sure if the same applied to the Turner.

There are no local XL's or L's built up here in Salt Lake City, UT, otherwise it would be an easy decision after riding them.

Do you have any built up ones in your shop?

Thanks,

Moises

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bring Back Buck said:
Hey there,

I was in the same positition, but one size dwon the range when I bought my spot. Technically, I should fit a medium, but opted for a large with a 90mm 5deg Thompson stem. This makes the bike very controallable, and the shorter stem means you can get the front end up with realative ease.
My theory was, you can't strecth a small frame, but you can make a bigger frame slighty shorter if necessary. I also used ther Wrench Science on line sizing guide to check my measurements before they built my bike.

On the side, not too sure if you've thought about forks yet, but combined with a Manitou Nixon and it's IT adjust, I can change the set up of my Spot on the go, taking it from a slightly raked back and relaxed stance, to a more agrerssive XC one with the press of a button (usually for long climbs). I believe the Rock Shox Pike has a simlar feature with its U-Turn adjust, all be it a slower wind down flip up toggle ontop of the left fork leg.

Buck.
Buck,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking RP3 and Fox TALAS 90-130 RLC fork. I am leaning more towards a x-country set-up, for racing, 24hr endurance and x-terra type events, while still being able to do some drops, etc. I'll check into the Pike too.

Thanks,

Moises

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
crazyhouse_5 said:
The husband is 6'2 with a 36ish inseam and loves the bike.
The only concern might be standover clearance, but it hasn't been an issue as of yet.
He has 90mm stem with, I think, a 10* rise (Thomson).
200lbs and has the RP3.

Crazyhouse
Crazyhorse,

Well, I am 6'2" but only have a 34 in inseam... maybe I should be worried about the family jewels... I need to find a built up XL somewhere!

Thanks,

Moises

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
6'2", 33" inseam, rugged xc riding style, XL for me with a 110 stem. From the sounds of your xc (even somewhat race) orientation, I'd recommend XL.

At the risk of being drummed out of the forum, I'll even admit to flat bars on my setup. However, counter to a previous post, I run my seat mid-point on a Thompson straight post. Climbing seems better that way, and I'm not sitting on the downhills anyway.

As far as standover height, to quote the all-time snake oil salesman of the galaxy, it's only, like, when you actually stand over the bike that standover height matters! :D

·
Bring Back Buck
68 Posts
Lighter build...

Hey Moises,
Yea, I'd agree with you on that build for that purpose. The RP3's a great shock too. The Fox's are also good forks - I've tested them on an 04' Enduro. But you still won't beat a 20mm axle for flex free decents, (you'll find 5-Spot decending not only becomes more fun, but you'll end up going faster because your in more control).

How about the rest of your build - are you going Shimano or SRAM ?
I'm running a set XT 05' of cranks, with SRAM Xo rear, Xgen front and X9 shifters. V crisp and intuative shifting, at a pretty low weight. I'd also recomend the SRAM PC-99 chain - I've had one on my old hard tail for 2+ years now, and it's still goin strong. Another good point to note is that the Thompson 4x oversized stems are atually only of the lightest and strongest on the market. They go great with a carbon bar.

Good luck with your bike - it's not an investment you'll regret.

Buck.

P.S. Here's a photo of my bike wehn it was new and clean earlier this Summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buck,

Thanks for the picture, it's nice!

I've been a shimano guy since always. I've ridden a couple of SRAM x0 equiped bikes, and it just feels odd. I may go that way, but standard shifting XT is a good contender too.

I am trying to figure out that best way to build it up while keeping it light and not breaking the bank ($3200 total) and still sporting a good fork.

Thanks,

Moises

Bring Back Buck said:
Hey Moises,
Yea, I'd agree with you on that build for that purpose. The RP3's a great shock too. The Fox's are also good forks - I've tested them on an 04' Enduro. But you still won't beat a 20mm axle for flex free decents, (you'll find 5-Spot decending not only becomes more fun, but you'll end up going faster because your in more control).

How about the rest of your build - are you going Shimano or SRAM ?
I'm running a set XT 05' of cranks, with SRAM Xo rear, Xgen front and X9 shifters. V crisp and intuative shifting, at a pretty low weight. I'd also recomend the SRAM PC-99 chain - I've had one on my old hard tail for 2+ years now, and it's still goin strong. Another good point to note is that the Thompson 4x oversized stems are atually only of the lightest and strongest on the market. They go great with a carbon bar.

Good luck with your bike - it's not an investment you'll regret.

Buck.

P.S. Here's a photo of my bike wehn it was new and clean earlier this Summer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome XL Spot to the family, thanks for the posts!

All,

I'm going to have to change my name to SLC_Turner5Spot...

I got a Demo XL Spot from Slickrock cycles in Moab. Dave at Slickrock did a great job tunning and sending the bike to me in a very timely manner and answered all my questions very well. Kudos to great service, I do highly recommend them.

I ended up driving to Moab to try both the L and XL they had as demos. The XL just felt right, but boy is it a big bike. Not one for tigh single track.

The bike came with a Fox Float RL, rear RP3, XT hubs with Mavic 717, XT Cranks, and Sram shifters, Juicy 7 disk brakes, etc.

The bike is not super light, what would be the easiest way to loose some weight for some XC climb performance?, CrossMax SL wheelset, or upgrade to a TALAS RLC, or push the Float RL front shock?

Thanks and happy new 2006

Moises

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.