Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'1'' 235 lb. I ride on the east coast, rocky , rooty log crossing , short steep tech. climbs. I'm looking for the bike that acsends as well as descends. 5 inches of plush travel that soaks up the big hits.
What would work for a clyde in these conditions.Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I ride a Heckler and really cant say enough about its abiliity to do everything well. I do alot of trails that require tons of climbing but are super tech downhills. I chose the heckler for just that reason. I havent ridden either the ventana or 5 spot so I cant give you a comparison. I know turner makes great bikes. I have mine set up at 31lbs with DH bars, lx/xt group, hayes, Fox V130 fork and the 5th elment coil. The shock really works insane. I have heard some neg. from others that run a air in the rear, mostly complaining of brake jack. zero is noticed with my coil. The front does get somewhat light on me in real tech steep granny climbs but the rear sticks like glue. I have a pretty short stem and a more up right position than most which could be part of the problem. As far as another option, you really should check out Santa Cruz's new BLT. Its the Blur Long Travel. they have bumped the travel up to 5.5 and looks like it could be the new ride of choice for what your looking for.Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions. Oh ya SC has the BLT on their web site under the blur icon.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Great List.

BubbaTime said:
I'm 6'1'' 235 lb. I ride on the east coast, rocky , rooty log crossing , short steep tech. climbs. I'm looking for the bike that acsends as well as descends. 5 inches of plush travel that soaks up the big hits.

Thanks.
You cannot go wrong with any of the bikes you have listed. The Heckler and 5-spot have achieved legendary status for being the "one" bike that does it all. The Ventana is very popular also.

I am also over that 200lb mark and owned a Heckler and it climbs well and can rail the dh part of a trail. The new Hecklers get 5.7" of travel, depending on the shock you choose. The Heckler can be hucked and is very tough and does everything well imo. The best thing about the Heckler is the price, It is a lot cheaper than the 5-spot or Ventana.

The 5-spot is the nicest looking bike of the three imo and is a 4bar with a more active suspension design than either the Heckler or Ventana. The 5-spot rides very nice and is a tough bike also. The Heckler frame is more suited to big hits than the 5-spot imo.

I am not as familiar with the Ventana but it is a nice bike that you can get with a 5 or 6" rear travel option. Ventana is known for having very stiff frames as well.

I would have to say the Heckler and Ventana are a little more versatile than the 5-spot because they can be used as a light freeride or trailbike and both have 6" of travel or close.

Not to say that the 5-spot cant handle a decent hit but the Heckler and Ventana seem a little more adept in the freeride department. One thing all three bikes share is great trail geometry and toughness.

Some other bikes to consider in this class are the Ellsworth Moment, Azonic Sabre (or whatever it is called now), Transition Preston, Turner six pack, Cannondale Prophet, and many others.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Get a heckler hands down. it will beat any bike out there for all around riding. and i am talking tough climbs, big hits, dj's. and whatever you can throw at it. i do not know how i made it without my Heckler. get it and you will not be dissapointed

·
Registered
78 Posts
Which bike?

BubbaTime said:

Thanks.
If money is the object the Heckler would be cheaper. In terms of which is the best bike of the three probably the Spot but you did not indicate which Ventana model you are looking at. If possible demo them. If not the three forums will give much information regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the three bikes. Particularly the Turner forum is very informational. It is even possible that you will find someone in your area willing to let you demo their bike. I own all three and rotate them. Lately have been really getting into the 5 Spot. But that will change in the next rotation. I will say that the Spot is the better climber.

- bo

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
5"

I love my 5 Spot, it's the best of the 10 or 11 fs frames I've owned. I weigh about 200lb and have broken a few of those frames but I've had no issues with the Spot during my 16 months of riding it 2/4 times a week. I think the X5's a bit beefier than the Spot and can be converted to 6" but I'm a believer in the advantage of the FSR link however small it may be. As for the Heckler it's way cheaper and very popular but I don't like the peddal feedback and brake jack of the high forward single pivot. I've read that many don't notice it but I do and it bugs me. I'd look into the $1395 Titus Motolite far before the Heckler as long as you can get the wider swingarm. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For a Clyde especially, the Ventana X5 is probably the best choice. Stiffer and stronger than the 5-spot and lighter than the Heckler. Ventana also has the best build quality if that matters to you. Not that the others are bad. The X5 is a very versatile frame covering everything from XC to light freeride.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
ditto, X-5 for a Clydesdale, get the quad bearing feature and if you really hit the burly terrain hard, maybe the heavy duty swingarm assembly too.

I've ridden Hecklers plenty, and I'll say this about them: (1) there's a reason SCB is making the Nomad. (2) the top tube is WAY too short for my tastes. (3) the rear assembly wags laterally and torsionally.

I rode an X-5 last season and am on a 6-Pack this season. If the 5-Spot's lateral stiffness is as good as the X-5's then I would urge the 5-Spot. Turner's geometry and handling are another class entirely from the Heckler. much better. see my 3 points above, and especially point (1) and think about these points for a bit. ;)

I didn't like the X-5's steep head tube and if it were 69 with a standard Fox/Manitou 5" fork I would have liked it a lot better. but after riding the 6-Pack now, I think Turner's emphasis on a slightly different geometry and feel is better for my style.

Ventanas feel more like a hardtail than any FS rig I've ever ridden. the rear wheel path is dead perfectly vertical, no twist, no sway, no lateral play. This is an amazing feel when you are riding choppy descents at a good clip. you don't have to try to guess how much your frame's gonna flex in Section A vs Section B etc.

the 6-Pack is equally burly in the rear assembly, but it's designed more burly than the 5-Spot. that's why I'm a bit cautious recommending the 5-Spot for a clydesdale, but you can check around for personal experience from Clydes with 5-Spots -- I might very well be wrong in being so cautious. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm down to a 6 Pack and Ventana X5 w/ 6"rocker

Now I'm debating on size . I spoke with the guy at Ventana and he suggested th Xl X5. w/6 " rocker and dhx5.
I'm 6'2'' w/ 34.4 true inseam. The Ellsworth moment (large) felt tight (cockpit) 120 stem and a high center of gravity.
What would be the correct size 6 Pack?
Thanks

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
well, I'd side more with "most comfy" rather than "correct" re size!

remember that the saddle perch to handlebar distance can be the same on 2 bikes giving the same cockpit feel, yet achieved with different parts and therefore orienting your body differently to the bike.

for example, extreme rearward bias would have a setback seatpost and short stem and handlebar that has a lot of sweep.

extreme forward bias would have a straightup seatpost and a long stem and a more flat/less sweep bar.

some people like their weight biased more toward the front and prefer straight seatposts steep seat tube angles and long stems.

others like a more relaxed, almost DH bias to the geometry.

you should figure out where you stand along this continuum of rider/bike variables. this continuum is one of the primary reasons why the Wrench Science "correct fit guide" is all full of bull shyte. we're all different in our preferences for fit, we're all able to adjust where that cockpit sits relative to the bottom bracket and head tube, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
X-5 and Nomad

BubbaTime said:

Thanks.
Ventana is a great choice because it is very rigid in the rear and you can have it costum for a few hundreds more

instead of the heckler you might want to consider the upcoming Santa Cruz Nomad? Strong enough, ultra-stunning looks, 6.5" travel probably better pedaling than any traditional 4-bar 5-6"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
gonzostrike said:
I didn't like the X-5's steep head tube and if it were 69 with a standard Fox/Manitou 5" fork I would have liked it a lot better.
Worth noting that the 05 X5 is now 69 deg (1 deg slacker than the 04)
Since climbing ability was considered fairly important, then I would have thought the 6-pack was getting a little too heavy?

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Since climbing ability was considered fairly important, then I would have thought the 6-pack was getting a little too heavy?
The 6-Pack is a superb technical climber. It's not the fastest on long fireroads or flats but that's not what one encounters on the East Coast.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Try Leader Bike USA-626S

BubbaTime said:

Thanks.
You and I are the same weight and ride in the same conditions. The Leader 626S should definitely be considered, as it has what you're looking for and the frame and rear shock will be a grand total of $500. I did a real nice build for about $1300. Talk to Jared at www.downshiftcycles.com. You won't be sorry. Feel free to PM me if you need additional info.

Clyde

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Worth noting that the 05 X5 is now 69 deg (1 deg slacker than the 04)
I"m used to climbing 35 lb rigs. I have no use for legshaving gramcounting builds, they only fail when I rip the descent.

my X-5 weighed 34 lbs. w/o DH casing tires, I might add. and I weigh 160-165 lbs.

the extra degree might help, but the overall geometry reflects Sherwood's bias for a more BMX-ish feel. I like a more DH-ish feel, personally.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
With all due respect

gonzostrike said:
regarding "Leader Bike" spamology...

a $500 FS frame that will hold up to technical abuse under a 235 lbs rider?

wake up, Cinderella. you're living in a fantasy.
I stand by my post. The frame does quite well-it's well engineered and well built. As for the "spamology" shot-I like my bike-as much as those who like their Turners, Santa Cruz and Ventanas. Would you be so hacked off if someone pointed this guy to Larry at Mountain High for a Ventana? I think not, so lighten up, dude.

I understand your perception of the $500 f/s frame, and until a few months ago, I might have agreed with you. If you choose to think otherwise I respect that, we all know what they say about opinions.

"Cindy"

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
BubbaTime said:
Now I'm debating on size . I spoke with the guy at Ventana and he suggested th Xl X5. w/6 " rocker and dhx5.
I'm 6'2'' w/ 34.4 true inseam. The Ellsworth moment (large) felt tight (cockpit) 120 stem and a high center of gravity.
What would be the correct size 6 Pack?
Thanks
For what it is worth, I LOVE my X-5. I will never sell it and coming from me, that means a lot ;)

Also, I am about 6'2", and have a 34.75" inseam and went with the 19" X-5 frame, 110mm Thomson stem with a 15 degree rise, low-rise EA70 bars and love it.

I have 6" rockers, quad bearings which are incredible. I actually also just paid about $25 to replace the alloy configuration at the main pivot with the stainless steel version which will yield the bike even more robust.

Here is a pic of my dream trailbike.

and a frontal

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Decided on Turner 6 Pack w/ Fox 36

Ordered XL 6 pack today from Go-Ride.com. Cool people to deal with.It's on the UPS truck right now. It should be an awesome build for a Clyde.

Thanks !!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.