Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new 5-Spot owner/operator and I have a question. Are there any riders out there who weigh close to 225 and have a Romic Shock? If so, do you think I can get a way with a 550lb sping? I tried a 650lb spring but it seems stiff. Next I bought a 600lb Ti spring. Now I"m wondering if a 550lb spring might work. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Turtle.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
I'm a new 5-Spot owner/operator and I have a question. Are there any riders out there who weigh close to 225 and have a Romic Shock? If so, do you think I can get a way with a 550lb sping? I tried a 650lb spring but it seems stiff. Next I bought a 600lb Ti spring. Now I"m wondering if a 550lb spring might work. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Turtle.
I'm ~220 (okay 223 today)

600 is without a doubt the lightest you should go. 650 is the safest bet, albiet a little stiff. I recall reading that Turner recommends 650# for our weight. I use ~2 turns of preload on a 600# spring.

I don't know about Ti springs but I've heard that similar spring weights can actually be stiffer with Ti springs.

Trail conditions and how you ride also play a factor. If your trails are very rugged and you bomb a lot...go for a stronger spring to limit bottoming.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
could be the compression valving

I'm about 180, so 195 riding weight and I ride a ti 550 on my Romic. There's no way I'd go lighter, so I doubt it'll work for you. My Romic felt stiff when I first got it, and the compression knob did nothing. I sent it back to Romic and it's worked perfectly since--much more supple and I now have compression control. If you can, you may want to ride another bike with a Romic and compare the performance. Also (and I don't know if this is how you're testing the shock), just pushing down on the seat will not give a good idea on how this shock works. My shock feels kinda stiff until you get it on the trail, then the rear suspension makes everything disappear. :D Pushing on the seat (or bouncing up and down in the parking lot) and riding on a trail are completely different experiences.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
.... My Romic felt stiff when I first got it, and the compression knob did nothing. I sent it back to Romic and it's worked perfectly since--much more supple and I now have compression control.....
Good points which reminded me, check your settings too. I recall when I had my blue compression knob turned up too high, the bike rode harsher over the smaller things. Start with it all the way out and dial in one or two clicks at a time until you filter out the unwanted action. It does make a difference. If you don't notice any difference through the range send the shock in for service.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Romic Spring Weight

coolhandluchs said:
I'm about 180, so 195 riding weight and I ride a ti 550 on my Romic. There's no way I'd go lighter, so I doubt it'll work for you. My Romic felt stiff when I first got it, and the compression knob did nothing. I sent it back to Romic and it's worked perfectly since--much more supple and I now have compression control. If you can, you may want to ride another bike with a Romic and compare the performance. Also (and I don't know if this is how you're testing the shock), just pushing down on the seat will not give a good idea on how this shock works. My shock feels kinda stiff until you get it on the trail, then the rear suspension makes everything disappear. :D Pushing on the seat (or bouncing up and down in the parking lot) and riding on a trail are completely different experiences.
Thanks for the reply-I think you're right about the 550 not working for me. I like a plush ride, but if I set the shock up with too much sag-I loose pedaling efficiency; guess I'll keep working with what I've got. Thanks again.
Turtle

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Romic Spring Weight

Bikezilla said:
I'm ~220 (okay 223 today)

600 is without a doubt the lightest you should go. 650 is the safest bet, albiet a little stiff. I recall reading that Turner recommends 650# for our weight. I use ~2 turns of preload on a 600# spring.

I don't know about Ti springs but I've heard that similar spring weights can actually be stiffer with Ti springs.

Trail conditions and how you ride also play a factor. If your trails are very rugged and you bomb a lot...go for a stronger spring to limit bottoming.
Thanks for the reply-I'm guessing you guys are right when you say the 550lb spring wouldn't work. I'll try different compression settings and see if I can find that sweet spot-I tend to get impatient when it comes to setting up the suspension.

Will setting the sag effect your head angle? Sometimes I imagine-and I have a very good imagination-that when I tighten the spring, my head angle changes-is that nuts or what?

I'm pretty sure my compression adjustment is working-I've had pretty good luck with Romic shocks. I know my rebound works fine-I'll keep working with the compression.

I have no complaints about the way my suspension works-the bike really does well on the trail. I was just trying to get a little more of a plush ride out of the suspension, I suspect that will come about after spending a few more hours of adjusting the settings.

Thanks again for the feedback-It's always helpful for me to hear different perspectives.
Turtle

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Preload does affect the head angle because the rear end sags more or less (depending on if you increase or decrease preload) and that changes bb height and ultimately also your weight distribution. This is normally more obvious after you are intimately familiar with a bike (I could easily feel a few turns of preload on my Vanilla fork on my XCE), but you may be able to feel it on a new bike too.

Do measure your sag. I run about 25% on both my Turners. Also slide the bottomout bumper up the shaft and take a rough ride and see if you push it all the way back down. That will give you some idea if you are getting full travel. Lastly, look critically at your Romic. They do seem to be extremely error prone.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Any plans to sell the 600lb ti spring if it doesnt work out? I use a 650 steel on my bike (im 230-240lbs) the 650 feels just right with a few turns of preload, on a stock shock (not revalved for a heavier guy).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tscheezy said:
Preload does affect the head angle because the rear end sags more or less (depending on if you increase or decrease preload) and that changes bb height and ultimately also your weight distribution. This is normally more obvious after you are intimately familiar with a bike (I could easily feel a few turns of preload on my Vanilla fork on my XCE), but you may be able to feel it on a new bike too.

Do measure your sag. I run about 25% on both my Turners. Also slide the bottomout bumper up the shaft and take a rough ride and see if you push it all the way back down. That will give you some idea if you are getting full travel. Lastly, look critically at your Romic. They do seem to be extremely error prone.
Thanks for getting back to me about the sag/set up-it only makes sense the pre-load would effect the bb height/head angle, not to mention the way my ride changes after adjusting the sag.

I'll keep fooling with the adjustments and take my time getting the bike set up. Thanks again for the feed back.
Turtle 1

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Romic Spring Weight

oly said:
Any plans to sell the 600lb ti spring if it doesnt work out? I use a 650 steel on my bike (im 230-240lbs) the 650 feels just right with a few turns of preload, on a stock shock (not revalved for a heavier guy).
Hi Braden; no plans to sell the spring just yet, but I'll let you know if I do. I may end up sending my shock back to Romic to have them revalve it and replace the shaft-I like their Gold shaft-it really makes for a smooth ride. Talk with you later.
Turtle 1

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Romic Spring Weight

tscheezy said:

Hi; I forgot to tell you thanks for reminding me about the little rubber gizmo on the shaft that measures the length of trail-I forgot all about that.
Turtle 1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts