Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
In general, the biggest difference is probably in terms of travel. 5.1" for the '05 vs. 5.5" for the '08. In detail there are probably some other differences but in terms of how well-built the bikes are there is no difference. There hasn't been a 'bad year' for the spot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Oh yeah - Horst Link vs. TNT?

.....and more BB height and HL.

·
Registered
982 Posts

2005 was the last year for HL Turner's.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Yeah, trying to skip the obvious...

smitty22s said:
In general, the biggest difference is probably in terms of travel. 5.1" for the '05 vs. 5.5" for the '08.
I think you missed the most noticeable difference.

05 Spot: available in Semi-Gloss Black and Metallic Silver
08 Spot: available in Sangria Red and Smoke Black.

The Red one is obviously faster.

·
striker!
610 Posts
smitty22s said:
Was TNT introduced in '05 or '06?
'06

Plus the '08s have the asymmetrical rear chain stays.

The '05 will have some tire clearance limitations if you upgrade to 5.5 rockers due to the front derailleur cable stop location. The '06s have the stop on the side of the seat tube rather than the back which helps with clearance.

All of these are just small incremental improvements. The 05 spot is a great bike. Scoop it up if the price is right....

S

·
Registered
731 Posts
One more change that I haven't seen mentioned: the 07/08 Spots are designed around 515mm axle-to-crown forks . . . I believe the earlier Spots were penned for 501mm forks?

--MW

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've just sold my 2006 5.3 Spot and bought a 2008 5.5 Spot.

I spent a good while on the phone to Dave Turner last week before deciding to go for it. There are several differences between my '06 and the current version, and also your an '05 Spot and current:

- TNT rear end instead of Horst link

- Higher BB

- Designed around longer travel fork

- Shorter seat tube

- Slightly amended seat angle

- Assymetrical chain stays/redesigned rear end - beefier dropouts, laterally stiffer rear end

Hope this helps.

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
wilks said:
some 05's are 5.3" travel and have the cable stop at the side....
*that's how mine is, got it in august '05...
Also got one of the first offered w/ the DHX-A...unfortunately... :p

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
MW said:
One more change that I haven't seen mentioned: the 07/08 Spots are designed around 515mm axle-to-crown forks . . . I believe the earlier Spots were penned for 501mm forks?

--MW
Which means to me, my '07 SPOT has a slightly slacker head angle, which is actually what I want.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Cucucachu said:
Which means to me, my '07 SPOT has a slightly slacker head angle, which is actually what I want.
Depends on your fork, I imagine . . . run at the intended a-c, I believe Spots have always had a 69deg HA. Pre-07, 501mm a-c gave 69deg; 07 and after gives 69deg with a 515mm a-c. That's how I understand it, at least.

My 06 Spot with 5.5 rockers and an 09 Float should be sitting around 68.5deg. Just back from a Moab/Fruita/Gooseberry trip--my first real rides on the bike--and I'm very, very pleased with the setup. :thumbsup:

--MW

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
MW said:
Depends on your fork, I imagine . . . run at the intended a-c, I believe Spots have always had a 69deg HA. Pre-07, 501mm a-c gave 69deg; 07 and after gives 69deg with a 515mm a-c. That's how I understand it, at least.
--MW

OK, so on your pre-'07 with a fork thats 501mm a-c gave a 69deg head angle. What would installing a fork with 515mm a-c do to that head angle? 68deg? 67deg?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Cucucachu said:
OK, so on your pre-'07 with a fork thats 501mm a-c gave a 69deg head angle. What would installing a fork with 515mm a-c do to that head angle? 68deg? 67deg?
There's an equation to sort this out on paper . . .

Code:
change in head-tube angle = arcsin( (old fork length - new fork length) / wheelbase ) * 57.3
The 57.3 bit gets you back to degrees from radians. If we say the wheelbase on a large Spot is 1135mm:

Code:
arcsin( (501 - 515) / 1135 ) * 57.3 = -0.71deg
So . . . 68.29deg, at least according to the math.

I admit that I'm overly fond of equations and wield them with about as much grace as I ride (read: not much). I believe the general rule of thumb is that a 5mm change in a-c gives about 0.25deg change in HA. The math usually validates this within a 1/10deg, and quibbling over anything less than a 1/4deg is probably silly, in my opinion.

Cucucachu: what fork are you running, anyway? did I read in another thread that you're got one of the newer Fox 36's?

--MW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts