Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to the states next week on a skiing holiday, thinking about taking advantage of the strong £ and purchasing a new 5 spot.
I've got the choice of 2005 model with you've guest it horst link, or the 2007 model ie 5.5 spot.
If it was your money what would u buy.
Also sizing I'm 5ft 6" spoke to turner they said I could go either way, (small or medium) what are others my size riding.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
tortoise100 said:
Hello,

I'm going to the states next week on a skiing holiday, thinking about taking advantage of the strong £ and purchasing a new 5 spot.
I've got the choice of 2005 model with you've guest it horst link, or the 2007 model ie 5.5 spot.
If it was your money what would u buy.
Also sizing I'm 5ft 6" spoke to turner they said I could go either way, (small or medium) what are others my size riding.

Cheers
One thing to consider besides the whole TNT/HL thing is there was a rocker change mid-'05. I got mine Jan '05 with the 5.1 rockers. By June/July the 'Spots were shipping with the 5.3 rockers.

Personally, if you can get the '05 for a song I'd do it. There are plenty of ways to pick up other rockers. For example, you could also get the PUSH rockers for 5.75 inches of rear travel for the '05 (if you're running a 140mm fork). If you want DT's latest take on the 'Spot get the '07.

Enjoy your visit and be sure to leave with a new frame!

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
If it was my money I'd buy the '07, particularly with a good exchange rate. The changes to '07 from '05 are way more significant than the slight differences between HL and TNT As for size - pick the frame that has the top tube length that best fits your riding style/comfort or that is closest to your current bike frame if you like that ride.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Where are you getting the 2005?

You said you could get a new 2005?

Where can a new 5 Spot from 2005 be purchased??

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That's going to work out a good deal cheaper than the 07, buy it.
Get a "wife receipt" thou just in case you get stopped by Customs on the way back.
And don't froget some CK hub's and a CK headset while you are there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
'06 spot at Coloradocyclist

I contacted Coloradocyclist over the phone and I had their sales person double check and they informed me that the frames they had in stock were '06 not '05's. Did you talk to someonoe there recently? I might have to call them again maybe to double confrim.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i and most folks whove ridden the '06 rear would feel the opposite way. the improvement in lateral stiffness is remarkable. everything else is simply not a issue in the real world. too bad the new frames got delayed as that would be the supreme way to go. hope ya get what ya want.

whenever ive shipped bikes overseas for my custys, ive made shure they were "used" to avoid all the import charges. maybe thats what prof meant.

oh yeah.... get the small unless ya have the legs of a corgi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Damn Limeys buying our 5 spots.....

I have just agreed to buy one from this very website,:D it is going to get a fairly comprehensive introduction to the Grampians soon as it gets here! So.....how does one avoid import tax ( mine is a secondhand 05) ?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i think ya just need to declare it as used goods. im told they open boxes to check condition as well as look at recipts. if its dirty and doenst show a new msrp, yer supposed to be golden.

·
Registered
614 Posts
cactuscorn said:
i and most folks whove ridden the '06 rear would feel the opposite way. the improvement in lateral stiffness is remarkable. everything else is simply not a issue in the real world. too bad the new frames got delayed as that would be the supreme way to go. hope ya get what ya want.

What accounts for the increase in lateral stiffness???

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
chainstay

The 07 dropouts were put through a FEA program that allowed us to really increase the stiffness with nominal weight gain. The rocker plates with the FEA driven girder design also increases stiffness, although not as much as the dropouts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
turnerbikes said:
The 07 dropouts were put through a FEA program that allowed us to really increase the stiffness with nominal weight gain. The rocker plates with the FEA driven girder design also increases stiffness, although not as much as the dropouts.
So the 05 hl and the 06 tnt are practically the same laterally, the change being in the 07's?

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
That is what I understand. It's the 07 that was changed significantly. The 05 and 06 should be about the same in lateral stiffness but DT or some of the others who have ridden them back-to-back will know for sure.

I am really looking forward to seeing some detailed reviews of the 2007 and how the ride differs from the older ones.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I have both the HL and TNT rear triangles. I can't speak directly to lateral stiffness b/c as I don't get a great deal of high speed cornering. However there has been many-a discussion that a seatstay pivot is laterally stiffer than a chainstay pivot since on a CSP the axle would have an additional member, and pivot, between it and the frame. IMO this has been hotly debated and both sides made convincing arguements.

Owning both, and trying them back to back on an identical setup, I found there was more difference in how the bike handled due to other factors.

For me, the TNT is more stable in the corners as it the rear end balances better with braking forces and helps to counter fork dive. If it were dead-neutral the fork dive would pitch the bike slightly forward and require more rider weight shift towards the rear. That makes it more difficult to steer as I would then be reaching farther for the bars.(and have less weight on the front for traction) On the TNT I can stay more centered over the bike, brake later and be in a better pedaling position for accellerating out of the corner. It also seems to stand up better on climbing and does not feel like it's falling back on steeps.

I definately have a pref for the TNT but overall the differences are fairly small compared to things like shock and tire setups.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Clarification

A "wife receipt" is one that declares a lower value, so you pay a bit but not much (about 17.5% Tax plus the import [email protected]%) of the "declared value", or you say it's used, you may then need proof that you got it in the UK and have already paid the appropriate tax's.

:confused: :madman:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.