Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, finally registered myself to this site after years of just reading posts. Will hopefully have my 5 Spot in about a month and I'm guessing the wait is a long painfully one? Anyways will post a pic and be applying for Ninja membership after going for an ano black one (anyone want to post pics of the ano black if you have any?).

Anyways, heres the spec for you all to pick over:
MEDIUM 5 SPOT
FOX VANILLA R
MAVIC X717
HOPE XC
PANARACER FIRE XC PRO
EASTON MONKEYLITE CARBON
THOMSON STEM
THOMSON SEATPOST
CHRIS KING HEADSET
WTB ROCKET V STEALTH
HOPE QR SKEWARS/SEAT POST CLAMP
EGGBEATERS
SHIMANO XT
HOPE MONO MINI/M4

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Vosh said:
Hello, finally registered myself to this site after years of just reading posts. Will hopefully have my 5 Spot in about a month and I'm guessing the wait is a long painfully one? Anyways will post a pic and be applying for Ninja membership after going for an ano black one (anyone want to post pics of the ano black if you have any?).

Anyways, heres the spec for you all to pick over:
MEDIUM 5 SPOT
FOX VANILLA R
MAVIC X717
HOPE XC
PANARACER FIRE XC PRO
EASTON MONKEYLITE CARBON
THOMSON STEM
THOMSON SEATPOST
CHRIS KING HEADSET
WTB ROCKET V STEALTH
HOPE QR SKEWARS/SEAT POST CLAMP
EGGBEATERS
SHIMANO XT
HOPE MONO MINI/M4

Cheers!
Congrats! I can't really argue with the spec. It looks great. I'd choose different tires for me, but I have no idea what type of ridng you do or the what the terrain is like.

·
Registered
161 Posts
my comment would be on the brakes. I am thoroughly enjoying my mono m4s. I considered the mini, but including the cost of the adapter i needed in order to run a 7" rotor on the front, it was almost the same cost as going for the m4. Plus, the M4 uses the same brake pad as the older XT 4-pot hydraulics, which makes them easy to find around here. The big of extra weight wasn't a big deal to me on this bike, as sanity and safety took preference over gramcountedness. About 460 grams per wheel is what it weighed in at, not bad for including a 7" rotor and all the mounting hardware.

My Laser Stealth saddle has proven to be comfortable, despite the weirdish shape. Having a flexible shell is something that I prefer (my other saddles include a Flite TT, SLR, and Storika). A good sadle for the bike, unless you're planning to be a huckster, in which case something a bit beefier may be smart.

I would encourage the use of a Shimano 959 or TIME pedal over the beaters if it is an option for you. If you're using multiple bikes and want to stick with beaters, cool. However, I have seen some pretty nasty failures in our warranty return center. I don't know if the candys use a better bearing setup, all the problems i've seen are with the standard style (chromoly and stainless) beaters. It's still a good pedal (not to offend any current users) but since you asked for opinions...

I had an 8 week wait on my frame, which just about killed me. Fortunately, I built it up myself, so I got to have a few moments of excitement each week where I would buy a few parts, build wheels, etc. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue Shorts: Been using Fire XC Pros for a couple of years now and have found them to be great in all conditions all year round, I ain't too big on having so swap tyres for different conditions! And as I live and ride in Scotland where the weather and trail conditions change amost hourly they can deal with everything I've come across so far!

johnmyster99: The set up I'm going for is Mono M4 front and Mono Mini rear, had a trial of this set up and found it all had more than enough power for me, and if need be I can change the rear caliper at a later date. As for the saddle I've using a Rocket V for two years now and just love it, think my backside has changed shape to fit around it now! And finally the Eggbeaters, I heard of a few folk having them explode on the trails and not getting along with them, but again, been using them for a couple of years now and just love 'em. Never had a problem and with the mud we get here in Scotland in the winter their mud clearence is a dream.

So, cheers for the comments, figured the polite thing to do is reply to explain myself!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cool deal. I was unaware that you were in the UK, in which case I bet ALL of the hope replacement parts (pads, springs, hoses, rotors, etc.) are much easier to find that they are around these parts. Really the only thing I have access to is Hayes and Avid (Magura by mail order) so going with the M4 (common pad to the XT) was helped by the availabiltiy of the pads.

I wasn't criticizing the saddle, just saying that I've come to be rather fond of mine rather quickly. On the pedals, that's why I didn't want to be forceful in my opinion. When you have multiple bikes with the same pedals, it's easy to stick with what you already have, and use the same shoes. I have four pairs of SPD compatible pedals, and have to say that the 959 and the Wellgo/Expedo sets are lightyears beyone anything else I've tried for mudshedding ability.

Sounds like you have plenty o' experience with all the parts you're putting onto your Spot, which I'm sure will make it feel right at home to you. Happy trails and good times.

(picture taken pre today's dose of muddage.)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts